Rollback software suggestions please

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Malcontent, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Since the Rollback-type software is among the Slowest ISR,
    why don't you give us the Times of your preferred software?

-Can you take a System Snapshot in just a few Seconds?
    -Can you Restore your System in less than three (3) Minutes?

As Peter said, there is No other software that can do the same Things given the same Time.

Problems may exist in various systems, BUT lets Not Blame it Only on the Rollback-type ISR software.

Traditional Imaging/Back Up software (i.e. Acronis etc.) has Not been without problems:
    It is a killing to spend 30 minutes or more and then
    discover that your System BackUp canNot be properly Restored!

This Thread lost its purpose:
    From 'Rollback software Suggestions', it ended up with posts 'Against Rollback software'...

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Espozito,

That's not correct. Reading through multiple threads on this general topic, one issue is the lack of differentiation that casual users have amongst the various options. They're all viewed as some sort of recovery scheme (and that's correct), but the explicit pitfalls never seem to get fully articulated.

Rollback Rx/EAZ-Fix/etc. are fine as long as the user embraces the concept that all filesystem manipulations really need to occur within the environment provided by the product. In my view that entails acceptance of what I personally view as a fundamental liability, with the counterbalancing advantage provided to the user being speed. I can appreciate folks like yourself doing that calculation and rationally arriving at a conclusion to use the technology. It's really no different than someone deciding to use an exceptionally light or no AV (or an AV only in a demand only scan setting). They're trading speed against overall coverage. It's something I do myself.

It's like any other cost/benefit analysis - you really need to know the real costs before weighing against the benefits, have an appreciation of how things can go wrong, and have plans in place to deal with those eventualities.

Reading through the forum, many users drop the ball in putting their "plan B" measures in place before they need them. An example here - articulating the preferred backup imaging approach if Rollback Rx is employed as a quick recovery scheme, as well as those approaches to avoid and the reasons behind that avoidance.

Blue

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Excuse me, but are you blind or what? o_O
    It is displayed on both my Avatar and on my signature, you could ask directly about the times of FD-ISR...

Oh, I forgot... maybe I should start using every post/thread that I participate as a way to advertise it:
    "My favorite ISR is FirstDefense-ISR. And since I start using it from 2006 I ditched all my other security, imaging, etc., etc. software."
    Better now?:rolleyes:

FD-ISR times:
    Initial snapshot (happens only once)= the time to make a copy of the system partitions files= depends from what you have installed and how fast is your disk.
    Snapshot update = 1-2 minute in xp, 5-6 minutes in 7. (the times depend by the amount of data changed on the snapshot, more data adds aditional time)
    Time to restore = 1 sec (on any OS)
    Overhead on the disk I/O = 0%.

Roxio BackOntrack Times:
    snapshot creating= 10 seconds
    restoration = minimum time 5-10 seconds, maximum (2-3 minutes). On my laptop restores 1gb in a minute so it depends how much data the snapshot containes.
    Overhead on the disk I/O = 2-3%
    time to load the preboot enviroment= 2-3 minutes (is windows PE 2.1 based)
    I answered you above. B.O.T. is actually faster than "Rollback and clones" even on your two examples (if we exclude the time needed to load the preboot enviroment)

All the tests (and their results) I performed were with only ISR installed and no security software or imaging apps that could cause conflicts.
    And yes, Rollback RX and clones are the one to blame; for the reasons I described in the above posts.
    ROLFMAO :D
    You dare to compare the reliability of Imaging apps with ISRs. That was a good laugh.
    This is your view, of the thread.;)
    At least is not a defrag poll or a threatfire poll used to advertise rollback Rx. :rolleyes:

Panagiotis

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Try Not to be that polite...

About Roxio BackOntrack:
    I tried (one month ago) and it was slower in my Setup.
    Slower than Rollback-type ISR.
    I guess you can accept it.
    -OR-
    Just because Roxio BackOntrack was faster than Rollback-type ISR in your Setup,
    it must be faster in anybody's setup?

Yes, I dare. Excuse me for Not asking for your Permission.
    Many users ditched the "Reliability" of Imaging Apps when they failed to Restore Images after 30' or more.
    If Imaging Apps had been so "Reliable", users would have Never switched to ISR.
    -Why are you so upset with Rollback Rx?
    It didn't worked for you? OK. but stop winning about it!
    Allow Rollback users (and I am Not the only one here...)
    to have a different opinion about Rollback Rx, EAZ-FIX, and AyRecovery.

Like I wrote, this Thread lost its purpose long ago:
    For the History, Malcontent Opened it to ask for Rollback-type suggestions.
    The Thread ended up with comments against Rollback-type software.
    The Thread was Not "Bashing Rollback-type software" or
    "My Imaging App is better than your Rollback-type ISR".

5. pandlouk

Change imaging app.

Hehehe,
    You went from:
    to:
    to:
    I have no problem with "Rollback and clones".

But I have a big problem with someone like you that on almost all his recent posts and in completely irrelative threads continuously advertise Rollback RX (and does not even mention ComodoTimeMachine, which is the free alteranative) and as if that was not enough is telling the users that is perfectly safe, to the point that an imaging application is not needed. ;)

Panagiotis

6. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

@malcontent
    You will be fine if you use precautionary measures. Rollback Rx and others like it are great for quick system backups, however as Peter mentioned, there is a danger of losing everything because of the way these system recoveries keep their data tables unreadable by the Windows OS.

I would suggest first using a drive imaging software like Acronis True Image (free copies can be found at Western Digital or Seagate websites for their respective branded hard drives), Paragon imaging programs, Easus Todo, etc.
    Then, if still persuaded, use one of the instant system recovery softwares. I would also recommend you keep a weekly imaging regimen - just in case.

To the members who are fussing. We all hold opinions that may not be the same as others. Please air them through private messaging so the OP might be able to get an answer to his question without plowing through all the bull unless of course you are trying to get the attention of Wilder's reading public. If that is the case, you certainly have it :'( .

SourMilk out

7. pandlouk

Dear SourMilk,

my posts (except the previous one) are not personal opinions.
    Are facts about how Rollback RX and the other ISR work and how fast they perform.

Espozito tranformed it in a personal campaign, using accusations and false facts/arguments.

Panagiotis

8. pandlouk

About Espozito's B.O.T. argument.
    I simply refuse to accept it.
    Roxio does not offer a trial, so he couldn't have tried it.
    And if he was talking about the version 3.5 that circulates in warez and p2p, I'll say that has absolutly nothing to do with the recent versions. After 2008 Roxio improoved it drastically.
    Especially when installed on windows xp 32bit or windows Vista/7 64bit is very fast, on windows 7 32bit is a bit lazy though (the overhead on I/O operations there is around 6-8%).

Panagiotis

9. kakaka

kakaka Registered Member

Roxio BackOnTrack 3.81

Compatibility: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Starter (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit), Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP

-ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47001-47500/sp47174.exe-

OR

buy it at http://hp.digitalriver.com/store/hpappli/en_US/pd/productID.169455100 ($34.99)

Roxio BackOnTrack 3 Suite
    Roxio BackOnTrack Suite is the complete media protection solution that automatically keeps your irreplaceable memories safe and protects your PC from both hardware and software disasters.

Restore your system from a crash with one click
    Preserve important files - digital photos, family videos, key financial records, essential documents, and other data to HDD or CD/DVD/HD-DVD/BD
    Scheduled and automatic backups automatically protect new and changed files
    Supports compression and encryption
    True bare metal recovery from CD/DVD in case of hardware problems
    Comprehensive Disaster Recovery

Instant Restore
    Instant Restore protects your PC from disasters with the real-time system protection that recovers a system in seconds from virus attacks, rogue web sites, and user mistakes.

Disaster Recovery
    Back up your entire hard drive, including all your applications and system preferences to a disc or external hard drive. The exact disk image can then be restored in case of hardware failure or theft.

File Backup
    Preserve important files - digital photos, family videos, key financial records, essential documents, and other data to CD/DVD/HD-DVD/BD or HDD.

Minimum System Requirements:
    Microsoft® Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit versions supported)
    Hard drive with at least 1 GB of free space for installation
    512 MB or more RAM
    Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater for reading Help files
    Some features require a CD/DVD writer
    Some features require NTFS file system (if you are using an older file system you can convert to NTFS)
    Some features are not compatible with whole disk encryption software such as Safeguard Easy
    Internet connection is required for registration and product updates
    The Microsoft® Windows® Preinstallation Environment software included with this device or software may be used for boot, diagnostic, setup, restoration, installation, configuration, test or disaster recovery purposes only. NOTE: THIS SOFTWARE CONTAINS A SECURITY FEATURE THAT WILL CAUSE END USER’S SYSTEM TO REBOOT WITHOUT PRIOR NOTIFICATION TO THE END USER AFTER 24 HOURS OF CONTINUOUS USE.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
  10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

pandlouk/Panagiotis (Panayotis, perhaps?),

a) "You have Never offered Negative Advertisement to Rollback Rx, EAZ-DIX, and AyRecovery" was ironic.
    I'm not surprised that you didn't understand it...

b) I bought a license for BackOnTrack. I tried (AFTER I Bought it), and I didn't like it.
    I tried/used it on a Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit AMD processor with 4GM of RAM.
    See? You are Wrong as usual...

c) Comodo Time Machine is Free, but it is still immature/unstable.
    Take a look here and here .
    An expert, like you, should have known that before suggesting CTM as an alternative.

I swear to GOD, I am a simple Rollback-type ISR software user!
    I have no Official/Unofficial Relationship with any Rollback-type ISR vendor!
    My crime, according to you, is that Rollback-type ISR software was successful in my PCs,
    whereas, it was not in your case!
    By now, it has been very clear that you cannot stand it!
    Just because you have the worst opinion about Rollback-type ISR software,
    everybody must embrace/follow your opinion.

I've told you many times that 'Software behaves Differently in Different Setups'.
    Take an example here
    jv16 PowerTools 2010 has been successful to my Setup.
    However, the member DasFox has a different experience with jv16 PowerTools 2010 in his Setup.
    What should I do according to your way of acting?
    -Attacking DasFox for having a different opinion about jv16 PowerTools 2010?
    -Questioning the statements of DasFox?

Since you Trolled that Thread which was created by someone
    who wanted 'Rollback software Suggestions',
    open a New Thread and start Bitching Rollback-type ISR as much as you like.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Another awful feature of Roxio BackOnTrack!

Dear kakaka, now, you are in deep trouble...:D

You dared :blink: to questioned the software (Roxio BackOnTrack)
    that Mr. pandlouk finds to be
    better than AyRecovery, Rollback Rx, and EAZ-FIX.:D

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Wrong again! :D
    I bought Roxio BackOnTrack, but as the member kakaka proved, you can try it:
    -ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47001-47500/sp47174.exe-

kakaka Thank you !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
  13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

This thread is simply going in circles.

The two positions jockeying above are clear to any reader of the thread and no amount of further input will change or further clarify anything.

For the record.....
    • Rollback Rx and the related intertwined family of products work fine in many circumstances.
    • There are specific constraints around these products that users need to be aware of. Once that knowledge is acquired, and users respect the constraints, they should be reasonably fine. However, it's an unfortunate reality that many users have installed and played with this genre of products without exercising suitable due diligence. Many have been fine. Some have really regretted the outcome. Yes, the same can be said for many products that tend towards conflicts with other applications or the overall environment.
    • In the event of unanticipated conflicts, the downside possibilities can be severe. Plan for these (this isn't advice unique to this genre - it's no different than planning for eventual HDD failure - which will occur at some point)
    • As with any "on disk" recovery solution, have an off disk secondary backup in the event of that dreaded complete failure.
    • Make sure you employ an appropriate style of backup if you want to recover everything.
    • As always, visit the vendor hosted forums and read through any current user issues. Be aware of pitfalls before you fall victim to them. As above, this is generally applicable advice.
    That said, thread closed.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.