Uninstalling Paragon System Backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by gssh, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gssh

gssh Registered Member

I seem to be having trouble with remnants of this program after uninstalling. Should I reinstall a trial version and then uninstall it through the program itself? There seems to be a residual issue with the MBR on my Vista PC.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

What kind of problems? Installing and removing via Add/Program files helps in lot of cases

3. gssh

gssh Registered Member

The bootup message saying "Press F6 to Restore From the Paragon On-Disk Recovery Environment" continues to appear, and indeed there is a Paragon menu if you press F6 -- but of course no Paragon program, since I uninstalled it.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. gssh

gssh Registered Member

The F6 message is gone. Thank you very much for your help!

6. leader97

leader97 Registered Member

I have installed 'Paragon Backup & Recovery Suite 10' and I'm having this problem too but I don't find the thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=268695 is a help.

I uninstalled Paragon using Revo Uninstaller but I still get the message: "Press F6 to Restore From the Paragon On-Disk Recovery Environment" before it boots normally.

I'd rather not re-install Paragon to un-install again, but will do if I have to. But won't the same problem happen again? ie. good uninstall leaves behind the "F6" problem.

I'm running Windows XP(SP3). Any help would be appreciated please.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

To get rid of boot message to press F6, you need to update MBR. It will wipe the message.

Update MBR in WinXP:
    1. Restart your computer with the Windows XP Setup disk in the CDROM drive.
    2. Press the R key to start the Recovery Console.
    3. When Recovery Console starts, it will prompt you to enter a number corresponding to the Windows XP installation that you need to repair. In most cases, you'll enter "1" (which will be the only choice). If you press ENTER without typing a number, Recovery Console will quit and restart your computer.
    4. Enter your Administrator password. If you don't enter the correct password, you cannot continue.
    5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type fixmbr and then verify that you want to proceed.

Update MBR in Vista/Win7:
    1 Insert Win 7 installation DVD and boot from DVD drive. (or Win7/Vista Repair CD)
    2 Choose your default "Language", "Time", and "keyboard Input" on the first window and click next.
    3 You're now presented with 3 choices. Click on "Repair Your Computer" to gain access to the System Recovery window. Now choose "Command Prompt"
    4 Now run "bootrec.exe /fixmbr"

8. leader97

Thanks for this, but is it REALLY necessary to do all this, which for some of us is a little into 'no-go territory'!

I am rather unhappy that this F6 business is a left-over from a Paragon trial install that a. they don't clear up automatically; and, b. their website ignores

9. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

leader97,

Unfortunately, because it is a boot entry left in the MBR, the only way to remove that message is to update the MBR code. This can be done with Windows as Mech_An has so kindly described.

This can also be done easily with Paragon, either installed or from a recovery CD by right-clicking the hard disk and selecting "Update MBR".

10. leader97

Well thank you to you both :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.