Wilders

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by John Bull, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I have put this comment here because I do not know where else to put it.

As I see it, a Forum is a platform for answering simple questions and in the case of difficult problems, providing solutions by mutual discussion.

Unlike FAQ sites where FAQ always results in yet another question that cannot be answered because the site will not engage in conversation, Wilders is like a Round Table discussion amongst members who care and stick to their posts until the matter is resolved.

I have had several positive answers from Wilders that have either cured or corrected a situation, whereas the net sometimes only provides confusion and sometimes an impasse of brainless comments.

OK, we get certain members prompting an argument for no reason and it gets out of hand by virtue of reaction, but it should not really happen between friends. There is no reason to look for trouble in a friendly Forum.

If somebody asks what the red traffic light means, then just answer it correctly without any unnecessary humiliation.

I would like to compliment Wilders on being a wonderful Forum which if members recognise that simple questions do not warrant abuse but only an answer and that difficult problems whilst more interesting for the mind bending enthusiasts are not the purpose of this Forum, it is a site worthy of immense credit.

Wilders ! You are wonderful.

John Bull

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I second the motion. To answer your question, here in the US, just before the traffic light turns red, we usually get a yellow light which means hit the gas.:)

3. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

John Bull[/QUOTE]

I would like to compliment Wilders on being a wonderful Forum which if members recognise that simple questions do not warrant abuse but only an answer and that difficult problems whilst more interesting for the mind bending enthusiasts are not the purpose of this Forum, it is a site worthy of immense credit.

Wilders ! You are wonderful.

Thats why we love this forum:thumb: Great forum with wonderful members.:thumb:

4. John Bull

Hi TWL,

If you hit the gas on the yellow over here, you will most certainly run some old lady trundling her shopping trolley and pet poodle over on the crossing.

So, by law we are obliged to wait for the green light before taking off like a rocket. We can actually be imprisoned in the Tower of London for moving off on the yellow.

All I wish to point out is that Wilders is by far the best Forum I have ever seen and I hope I can survive.

John B

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

All kidding aside, I can't agree more about Wilder's being the best. I start every morning on my computer checking out the new posts. I have learned a lot from the techies here, and they have turned me on to some great info. I think that almost every security app on my computer was recommended by folks in this forum. ;)

6. John Bull

I am so pleased I posted this compliment and mean every word I say.

Like you all I find the information given by members shows consideration, tolerance, dedication and a discussion platform second to none.

I do often illustrate my literary mumblings with some humor and hope readers will recognise this and have a laugh, not a poke.

John B

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic post. Let's keep it civil toward members, even in jest. Thanks!

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, that's pretty much how it works in the UK too. :D

I think what John was referring to in his reply is the red/amber combination that we get just before the lights turn green after we've been waiting, stopped on red.

9. John Bull

You need not have done that JRV, it was just friendly joking. I found it highly amusing and not at all out of place. Nice to know that real people exist.

John B

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This is probably a good thread to explain about similar replies that get moderated and why.

Since you are okay with the remark, I'll quote the post that was removed, but I won't identify the person that posted it.

Now, in this case, John Bull thought is was amusing and was not offended. That's great. It's good to know he has a thick skin and is not easily put off.

However, we can't know that ahead of time. A reply very close in wording to that one was made in another thread a while back. The reaction by the person it was aimed at was very different. They were very upset and offended by it. They were writing in a thread about appreciating the help a person gave them after having had a lot of trouble earlier on. It was an uneasy circumstance that in the end worked out, so, they were trying to say thanks and offer real appreciation after a difficult time. The remark in that context was highly disruptive to the person and the thread.

So, while some people will be thick skinned, and will see such remarks as amusing and not a problem, others won't. If we leave such a reply in a thread where someone is fine with it, others will see that and will be more likely to post similar remarks in other threads, where just maybe the person its aimed at there will be offended by it, and will likely send in a reported post to us saying - this guy is bashing me, moderators do your job! We get a lot of those reports, which is usually how we find such remarks in the first place. (It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation for us.)

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

@LWM!

Off topic, Sorry for mentioning him again but I just wanted to say that I think you did the right thing when you banned "garybear" since he didn't really get the purpose of a Forum like Wilders:thumb:

12. John Bull

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  13. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hopefully this post won't be removed. God knows my post count should be well over 1500 by now :ouch:

@John

I'm glad you took no offense over my comment as that was not my intent which is why i ended it with this - :D

Wilders is quite a serious forum so i try to keep things alittle loose and often pay for that by the way of deleted posts and occasional warnings. You know it's serious when people here react and take offense to something negative said about a "piece of code" running on their computer (their AV) like you just insulted their mother.

It may make me unpopular here but the ultimate goal is just "c'mon man - think about it"!

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Great post JB.

When I see 'snide' remarks, I think that it is actually the easiest option to take for many, including myself (eg. Hit the search bozo! What are you smoking?!).

To write something constructive and helpful takes a lot more effort, it really does. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes feel like typing the examples above, but when I think of the type of audience we have, from teenagers through to grandparents and great grandparents, from different countries, it's always good to take a second look at our responses before we hit the 'submit reply' button.

Doesn't mean we can't say what we think, and we all have to be monotonous in our replies. I think what I'm trying to say is, if someone takes offence and we know the initial post was not such a serious reply, best to either leave it at that post or follow-up with an apology or 'I guess we'll agree to disagree'.

Back to the moderators, I think they do a fantastic job.

15. John Bull

To :- Tobacco, Saraceno, LWM and all,

Well said chums. I think Wilder's is a fantastic Forum, but I do draw the line at being insulted. That does not mean jokingly, it means a full frontal or in layman's terms a Full Monty.

Luv ya all, keep it up, yer a grand bunch, even my critics. Where would we be without a bun-fight now and again ? Life would be boring. Trouble is that the Moderators who do a superb job keeping the ruffians apart and the feathers from flying have a hard time maintaining the peace and preventing the 911 lines from being clogged up. God bless them all for doing a grand job.

John B
    Meet my side-kick Rambo, he don`t stand any nonsense from anybody.
    http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab327/johnbull17/bitingdog-1.gif

16. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im glad John Bull found it amusing as i did too.I dont know who the poster was but its typical British humour (especially Welsh),and most Brits would find it highly amusing too.Well done for revealing the post LWM and well done for receiving it with good humour JB
    ellison

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

At times, "trying to keep things a little loose" in an otherwise serious forum comes off as forced, inappropriate or at the very least, annoying. The question needs to be asked, for whose benefit are you plying the humor? Yours or others? If you think your job is to provide a great laugh and sense of lightness for everyone here, I would suggest that it's quite possible you have misunderstood the forum. There are loads of places to go and things to do in which one can find belly laughs and smiles and cheesy grins. In my opinion, this forum is not necessarily one of them. Add to that the unreliability of the medium for transmitting one's true meaning, and the ice gets mighty thin indeed when it comes to supporting the weight of clowning antics. Perhaps that sounds too harsh, so let me reiterate Saraceno's profession that it takes more effort to restrain oneself and write something constructive and helpful. It's pretty easy to spot the members around here who strive for that ideal, just as it is easy to spot the ones who don't. Trying to keep things loose in a serious forum, when you get right down to it, is like trying to fit the classic square peg into a round hole.

By the way, my comments are not aimed solely at you, tobacco.

18. John Bull

Come off it Page, crack a grin, it won`t hurt too much.

Even in the most adverse and life threatening situations, guys pull a grin and make jokes. Being serious does not affect ones sense of humor or ones dedication to duty, least of all in scientific circles.

Take the Marine grumps being blasted to blazes by incoming machine gun fire.

The Sergeant said to a squaddie "Go and silence that machine gun nest over there, it`s an order". Squaddie says " Get lost Serge, find somebody else, I ain`t going". Sergeant says "I`ll give you a packet of Camels". Squaddie says "OK yer on Serge, how do ya want `em, dead or alive ?"
    BOOM-BOOM !

John B

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Has nothing to do with not cracking a grin. I grin plenty when I am here at Wilders. What I am saying is that the main purpose for this forum being here is often sidetracked by people trying to be funny, or sarcastic, or to lighten everyone's load. I see it constantly, and I believe that this is what Mike is talking about and what the mods in general are having to deal with. I just think that the guys lobbing what they think are great comedic shots from the sidelines are out of place, and they tend to interfere with the better work that is usually done here.

And I repeat, it is the unreliability of the medium for transmitting one's true meaning, that starts the trouble. One guy thinks he is kidding but the other guy doesn't read that humor in the written word. It is a problem specific to a forum, and foxhole analogies don't fly.

20. John Bull

Very commendable.

John B

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

My take on this, all the red and blue here want are:

1. For us to come here each day ;)

2.To behave in a way that benefits all.

3.To enlighten others and provide solid and constructive feedback.

4. For members to enjoy themselves and be part of a really wonderful website.

That is all they ask and even though it is hard, I think for the most part, we the members, adhere to this.:thumb:

22. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Excellent! :)

This is a perfect example of how people have very different views on the same exact subject. Here's some more information as to why we handle things the way we do...

Believe it or not, the staff here also finds many of the jokes posted as funny, even as they are removing them. But why remove it, you ask? For this reason: All too often a thread goes like this:

This isn't hypothetical. There are a large number of threads that go exactly the way described above. You've all seen them. Heck, many of you have played one or more of the roles I described.

THIS is why we moderate out much of what we do. We've been doing this a long time. It's practically formulaic how threads go most of the time. Very predictable.

John Bull's opening post above was about the "B path" I described... The times when a question gets asked and they receive unhelpful replies that in various ways make the thread starter feel humiliated.

But, whether it's the long series of jokes that turn the thread into nothing but laughs, or, the back and forth fighting by the regulars about not being rude, it still results in the same thing... The thread starter doesn't get their answers.

Yes, jokes are fun and having them in a thread lightens the mood. And you know what? If it was just a single joke, that wouldn't detract from the thread. The problem is that it's never a single joke. The post with the joke always results in more jokes or thumbs up posts - always. If it stopped at just the one and the next post was on topic and helpful to the poor person with the problem, then we'd never need to moderate them. But, it's human nature... one joke yields another. Just the same as a reprimand reply to the guy making the "RTFM" post always results in a fight between him and the defender - always!

If people would just consider that a little of these things go a long way, and would stop either trying to one up the joke, or not return the insult in someone else's problem thread, things would be so much friendlier and useful for everyone.

23. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

OT: Aren't they technically amber not yellow? Or is that another odd US thing? :D

24. John Bull

I find the soothing presence of LowWaterMark a remarkable piece of diplomacy.
    A better Moderator one could never find.

Apart from the chaos that has developed around my complimentary thread, I still reiterate that Wilders is the best Forum dealing with computer matters on the net and although the tribe may get out of hand occasionally, one could not wish for better company.

John B

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Amen to that. And that is what I have tried to convey to John Bull when he suggests that I come off it and crack a grin. I'm talking past cracking a grin. I'm talking what Saraceno is saying... "To write something constructive and helpful takes a lot more effort, it really does". The jokes, the jabs, the humor, it's all so easy. And it often leads to a mess. If one simply can not post in this forum without interlacing jokes, I recommend self-deprecating humor as the way to go. Poking fun at yourself is a lot less volatile than poking fun at your neighbor, and it will win you a few accolades along the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.