Is the JanusPA project dead?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Just wondering as there are no new blog entries since January 2010 from Kyle.

Perhaps there are no other obtainable hardware sources than Yoggie and he has not been able to resolve the problems with PayPal?

-- Tom

2. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Kyle ran into two problems: one with PayPal, whom he detests, and another with the Yoggie hardware makers, who no longer make the Yoggie.

Last I heard, he was working on a wireless card... but I have not heard much on that front either.

3. goldenone

goldenone Registered Member

The JanusPA project is on hold. As already explained, paypal blows (froze my account for no reason), and Yoggie hasn't changed their status on their Open Firewall SOHO's (sold out still).

But, there is hope! :)
    Guruplug has two 1Gb/sec ethernet ports + WiFi. I am ordering one when I get my next paycheck, and then I'll be working on migrating the project onto the new hardware. It also comes with 2 USB 2.0 ports, and a eSATA port. I really don't see a use for the eSATA in the application of a privacy adapter, but a friend of mine is pushing me to release my anonymized torrent setup and insist that we could use the USB and eSATA ports for it.

I starting to lean that direction with ACTA being pushed and the German company that is tracking torrents globally.

QUESTIONS FOR USERS HERE:

Would you like an anonymous torrent system?
    Would you use it often?
    Would you leave the system online 24/7 if you knew that nothing could be proven to come from you?

Here's the downside to this, because there always a down side, the hardware is $50 more than the Yoggie's. Ouch. But I'm going to do it anyway for those who want one. So expect prices to be between $180 (US, CA, and MX) to $200 (International). Cost includes shipping.

- Kyle

4. snowdrift

5. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Many thanks for the update, Kyle :)

Yes.

Yes.

Very likely.

I have a couple questions. First, would this be connecting to XeroBank? Second, would this be just for torrents, or also for browsing, email, etc?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic post. No personal descriptions please. Let's keep on topic!

7. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Awful!

Just plug this into the HDtv add a bt keyboard/mouse plug in a 3g usb, wow.

It needs:
    1. An A123 Battery system (check out the Killacycle).
    2x3.3v series = 6.6v@20AH 100% discharge, 10,000,000 more conductive than standard Lion batteries. Can handle high amperage for quick charging.
    Would run the device for about 24 hours @ 5watts. This would give it battery back up capability surviving power outages. No down time.
    2. Virtualization layer and your hardened OS. Don't limit it, make it your platform for everything.
    CES Video

8. snowdrift

I concur... why limit this thing just to OpenVPN (or, God forbid, Tor) when it has such great possibility for other things (like running Ubuntu).

9. Lyx

Lyx Registered Member

Finally some hope! I'm trying to buy a JanusPA device since six months !

Yes of course, but it has to be a bonus, something that your new device would be able to do, in addition to what could do the last?

Depends on the abilities of the device. But I guess I would use it very often.

Probably, although I would have to reboot my computer from time to time...

Could your device automatically connect not only to Tor, but also to Freenet or I2P ?

I suggest that because:

1) Freenet is important in anonymity purpose and freespeech, to sahre informations, but installation of freenet is not so easy.

2) I2P is more easier to instal manually, but it as the advantage to be P2P oriented (what Tor or Freenet are not), and many well known non anonymous client have their I2P anonymous counterpart (I2psnark for Torrent, I2phex for Shareaza; Imule for emule).

I think all what could contribute this anonymity solutions to spread and become more popular would be a good thing. A device with these solutions implemented could be a mean.

I could pay $200 for that.

10. jimbostyx

jimbostyx Registered Member

Not really. Never had any real troubles with the current torrent system. Us here in Australia would benefit much more greatly from further development of JanusPA, given the government's recent indication that it wants to log and retain all web traffic for ten years!

BTW, I guess this means JanusPA won't be getting any more updates soon? For quite a few months now I get the server unavailable error. I'm getting a warning in my Tor logs about an outdated version and would like to see the occasional update, if only for Tor.

11. caspian

caspian Registered Member

What is on Freenet and I2P? I mean what is there?

12. snowdrift

Currently, I would not recommend a Guruplug. It is a thermal design failure. The CPU performance of the Sheevaplug is the same as the Guruplug, so i would buy a Sheeva. ESATA will give you higher disk throughput as USB will limit current hard disks, and less CPU overhead on disk access. So an ESATA Sheevaplug would be my choice.

You can install the OS on an SD card or internal flash and use the external disk as a data pool.

If you take a Guruplug, you need to keep the kernel in flash as it can't boot directly from SD.

13. goldenone

goldenone Registered Member

I order one of these ( Guruplug ) about 7 weeks ago. It has not arrived. When asked why it's taking so long to get here, they said there was a hardware defect in the first batch of these produced. They put my order on hold because they're fixing the problem and testing every unit before they sell anymore.

I'll let you know when I get one and what the results are.

14. lotuseclat79

Hi goldenone,

I understand that the defect was a heat problem. I see that at Plug Computer Community there is a video of a "Killer App" contest winner that turned his guruplug into a realtime car logger for his Mini Cooper - very nice!

The website says it can be had for $99. I assume you have to modify the software to turn it into a cryptrouter, and possibly modify the hardware. So, have they corrected the heat problem, or is this a newer device that replaces the one with the heat problem? There looks to be some design info at GuruPlug Details.

-- Tom

15. lotuseclat79

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.