Truecrypt can not encrypt partition

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by livre, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. livre

livre Registered Member

I'm trying to encrypt my Ubuntu partition with Truecrypt, plus it's wrong and asks me to unmount the partition.

How do I unmount the partition if the Truecrypt is it?

I would like to help to encrypt a partition on my Ubuntu.

I use Windows XP in dual boot.

Sorry if it is hard to understand, and I do not speak English.

Thank you.

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

You create an encryption algorithm and password when first designating a partition for encryption.

If you've already enabled TrueCrypt for your Ubuntu partition, you can't re-encrypt it differently while that partition is up and running under the manner in which you originally set it to run.

I believe you'll need to 'dismount' that partition, as from what you describe it appears you have it now mounted under the auspices of a 'TrueCrypt partition' rather than an unencrypted Ubuntu partition, and you'll need to basically start over.

At least that's the best I can glean from what you've said.

And I also figure you won't comprehend a word of what I've just said. I barely do, and I'm pretty good with English.
    What is your native language?

But for what it's worth, this is from the TrueCrypt website documentation:

So in other words, dismount that TrueCrypt partition, decrypt it, then start over with the wizard.

3. livre

livre Registered Member

Hello, I'm from Brazil and speak Portuguese.;

I want to encrypt a partition.

She has never been encrypted before.

More Truecrypt asks me to disassemble it.

Thank you.

4. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Pesaroso, o português não é um de meus.

Try logging-off Linux, bring up Windows, then TrueCrypt, and then encrypt the Linux partition while running TrueCrypt from within Windows.

Tente registrar-fora o Linux, traga acima Windows, a seguir TrueCrypt, e cifre então a divisória do linux ao funcionar TrueCrypt dentro de Windows.

(Babel Fish translations, btw.)

5. livre

livre Registered Member

Hello thanks really works.

Most do not have any program that can encrypt the partition directly from Ubuntu?

In Windows this is possible now on Ubuntu I can not ...

Thank you.

6. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Ubuntu and Windows are different operating systems. How TrueCrypt works on Ubuntu, I really can't tell you.

It's possible that your dual-booting has something to do with any problem you're encountering.

I will submit however, just as my own thought and opinion, that there's no need for you to encrypt an entire partition.

Make a standard TrueCrypt 'volume', and keep any files you want kept private inside of that volume, which will be an encrypted 'virtual drive' on your computer inside each of the individual partitions (assuming that's the way you create the volumes).
    I make that recommendation both for Windows and Ubuntu.

What is the need to encrypt all installed programs?
    If you don't want anyone using Firefox or Adobe Reader from your computer, isn't that what system account passwords are for?

Creating a simple TrueCrypt 'volume' is likely to be a much easier task for you than encrypting an entire partition.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

7. livre

livre Registered Member

And I read that if I make a document in Open Office for example he may recover, even though I put in a local encrypted.

This happens because he should save somewhere probably temporary.

I need to do two things:

Encrypt all the partitions on Ubuntu

And learning to use a program to overwrite the file several times to hinder recovery.

Another alternative would be to use Ubuntu from a thumb drive encrypted, the more I believe it is not possible at this time.

Thank you.

8. ABee

ABee Registered Member

I don't know if I can help you much further.

It sounds as though you need to thoroughly read the documentation at the TrueCrypt site.
    Again, I don't know if dual-booting is creating an issue for you or not. But it may be.

Booting into Ubuntu from off a USB drive would be something for a different thread.
    I believe it may well be possible to do, however.

You can store OpenOffice documents you've created inside of a TrueCrypt volume, just as you can store any other data files there. You'd just need to open the volume when you wanted OpenOffice to have access to them.

Overwriting data that may be recoverable from your hard drive in order to make it unrecoverable is also a topic for another thread.

As far as using TrueCrypt is concerned, the language barrier is problematic here.
    I don't know how familiar with the program you are, or how familiar with Ubuntu or Windows you are.
    I don't know, and can't determine, if you're using the TrueCrypt wizard in the proper manner for which to encrypt your partition.

So I can't begin to tell if the problem is with dual-booting, with Ubuntu, with TrueCrypt, or with your method of using TrueCrypt.

I'll just say again that I think the best place for you to start is by thoroughly reading the TrueCrypt documentation at the TrueCrypt website.

But I don't even know how feasable that is for you, because I don't know if the documentation is available in Portuguese or not.

I'll help if I can, but I don't know how that's going to be.

9. livre

livre Registered Member

And I've been looking on the shred and appears to be very difficult to use it.

I'll try to find a way to encrypt the entire disk without Truecrypt.

Thank you.

10. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

You can encrypt the entire Ubuntu installation by using the alternate install CD. No need for Truecrypt. Of course, you will have to reinstall Ubuntu to do this.

11. livre

livre Registered Member

This alternate has to download?

Here, slow internet and find someone with good internet here in my city and difficult.

I use CDs that Canonical does not believe that sends the artenate.

Thank you.

12. katio

katio Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.