Avast 5 & System Restore

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have been using Avast 5, and it is running well. However, there is a thread on the Avast forum that indicates System Restore does not work with Avast 5.

I realize that many here make images of their system and do not need or use System Restore (SR). But most users, including me, do not do that so would need SR if the system crashed or other problem requiring a restore. Evidently the Avast Self Defense Module is the culprit.

I think other AVs have such SD modules so I wonder if similar problems exist with those AVs?

Anyone here have information on this?
    I may have to dump Avast, and I hate to do so as it has always been about the least troublesome AV I have used.
    Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Jerry, I think if you boot into safe mode it will work.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Jeff. I'll pose that question on the Avast forum thread.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The response to my question re Safe Mode that it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.
    Jerry

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

oh well, guess you better load up Eset.:)

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hi JerryM, as I am not using Avast right now. I want to hear something more about it.

What exactly happening? SR can't be created or can't be restored?

If that can't be created you better turn off the self protection module and then create a manual system restore. And the turn SP on.

If that can't be restored, restore from safe mode while avast service is not running. Or, in normal mode turn SP off before restoring system.

I am sure Avast will be quick in applying that patch, because this is a critical case.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

As I understand it one cannot restore with Avast 5 installed. Sometimes it works and not at others in Safe Mode.
    I am not sure if it is OK to link to another forum, but there is a thread on the Avast forum regarding it.

I decided I did not want to risk a problem if I need Restore, and uninstalled Avast5 and went to a trial of Avira Suite.

Avast has always been a stable and trouble free AV for me, but I don't want to take a chance. FWIW I have never had to use System Restore, but who knows??

Regards,
    Jerry

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Are you sure the people reporting SR not working 100% with Avast5 don't have too many SR points? Been my experience that boxes with less than 6 SRP just about always (99%+) restore. But the more SRP the worse the odds. I've seen boxes with more than 60 SRP. The failure rate to restore on similar boxes for me is over 75%. No matter what the AV is.

9. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

It seems a little drastic to drop avast! for a potential problem with a Windows service that you have never used. I would have at least tested the situation myself prior to dropping avast!. :p

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

sr working fine here for me..

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Feel free to visit the Avast forum, and participate as you will. There were enough complaints to cause me to drop Avast. I can always go back to it, or put the Pro on my laptop if desired.

It seems to be a known problem.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. 0strodamus

I'm a member on the avast! forums and it is absolute insanity over there. :eek:

13. vlk

vlk AV Expert

The System Restore conflict was solved a few months ago...

14. Logos

Logos Registered Member

as I just mentioned in a thread on Avast forums:

the only difference between now and before it was mentioned that it was solved (on Avast forums a few months ago), is that before it never worked, and after it did...sometimes...actually not anymore at all on my system now, unless Avast is removed.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Problem is that I never have faced this problem.:p
    May be it's system specific problems like some people have problems with ZA and someone not.
    vlk please look over this matter seriously, as this will cause Avast to loose user base as SR is the mostly used troubleshooting tool available to common users. May be you should use remote diagnosis to look over the actual problem happening on sufferer's computer.

16. Logos

Logos Registered Member

you like to sound the alarm hey :D I for one wouldn't ditch Avast because of this... :rolleyes:

17. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Me too..:D Although I do not permanently use any AV, but will not ditch Avast by not recommending it to all..:p

18. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

For me the dealing with the problem is simple...SR is disabled,and RollBack is the king :p so I can use Avast without any worries.(or any other AV)

19. 0strodamus

Same here. SR disabled. ERUNT for registry restores, Acronis for full restores. :D

20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Jerry I know your learning Win 7. So I have to ask why not simply get another HD and use the various back up and restore options that Win 7 contains?

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

That is more effort than I want to go to. I would have no idea how to do that.

I have never had to use SD that I recall, but I want the option. From further posts it does appear that the problem may have been fixed. I put Avast Pro on my laptop when I took it off this one. I have ERUNT on the laptop. I have never had to use it either, and do not know if it would do as well as Windows SR. Also I haven't checked to see if it works with 64 bit.
    Any knowledge of that?

I wanted to try Avira suite anyway, and it did not take much to make me remove Avast and replace it with Avira Suite. I'll see how the trial works.

Avast has always been the least troublesome AV of all that I have used. If the current special offer of 3 computers for 2 years for the IS I would have been available I would have taken it. But now I have 2 years of Avast Pro. I suppose with OA firewall, and MBAM I am at least as secure as the suite.
    That combination is running well on my laptop.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
    Jerry

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It's all There in the Win 7 Action Center. Under maintaince Back up and restore. I did it and you seem more knowledgeable than I.

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OK, I'll take a look. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Jerry

24. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Problem is back.
    If the user forgot to disable the self defense module of avast it will mess the system restore, mostly, it will mess the avast installation itself. Repair does not work, manually starting the services does not work, only an installation from scratch... Sad, lose of time... the problem appears and disappears from time to time. :doubt:

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

BOY! That's a bummer. I am going to keep Avast 5 on my laptop, but am not going to consider it for my main machine.
    Oh Well. Avira or KIS is not too bad.

Hope it all gets worked out for you, and thanks for posting. Maybe it will save someone else some trouble.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.