Wuzzup from BugBopper: What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2010
  2. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Re: Wuzzup: Worst cloud ever

I like new babies...:D :p ;)

4. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Reason enough to avoid the program.

5. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Nothing can detect 100% of nasties :cautious:

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Why not if it can upload every file to their server, analyse and then decide, like it does.:D

7. guest

guest Guest

But is a bit different http://bugbopper.com/Wuzzup/Default.asp

Read this: Specific Differences with Other Anti-Malware Products

I tried it and I dont like at all, while I was doing the first scan the program already starts to upload the unkwon .exe's without my permision, also the interface is ugly xD and dont give you any control about what the program is doing

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hmm lots of concepts. Hope this will come true..:doubt: But for that they need more time to know about different computer softwares. What they is upload all of your softwares and then analyse. But that approach is very slow. They may adopt a tool to reduce the size of upload.

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

That's why I told it the worst cloud based technology...:cool:

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

It's a shame because the two founders of the anti-malware industry coded wuzzup. :rolleyes: I see a lot of talk the talk and little walk the walk.....

http://bugbopper.com/about.asp

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

OMG...:eek:

But we have to wait dudes. May be their way is wrong but has a very good aim indeed. What they are trying to do is very unique and can open a new direction to anti-malware industry. But we have to wait. The project is in pre-pre-alpha state in my opinion. Let them mature. :thumb:

12. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Keep us posted. The initial hype doesn't sound promising ("identifies all malware"). Does it indicate what AV engines are being used?

13. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Don't know as I didn't use it for very long and it is also not mentioned in their website.
    Yes I will follow it's development for sure, but will not install it too early because I think it would take a good time for the product/concept to mature.:cautious:

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

What's up with SoftPedia lately. Bunch of new weird software getting released on their webpage...

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Checks with this engines (see pic)

It is heading for Hitman Pro, at the moment it is a Virus Total uploader with this big difference it has predefined autostart locations scan. So they have some coding ahead of them to equal Hitman Pro. Still it offers different AV engine scans (and has a scan directory which Hitman Pro lacks).

I reccon when you check new programs with Hitman Pro and Wazzup, you have at least 12 engines checked it (without size limitations). So why complain at all?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

So.. MAY be a far future alternative to Hitman Pro.:D

17. ako

ako Registered Member

18. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Are these any awards based on it's quality? It means that it is hosted on those sites. Except softpedia none of them are well acclaimed.

19. Kees1958

No complementary 12 engines check

My play PC was clean, for fun I downloaded all others free scanners I could lay my hands on, which resulted in:
    - two false positives (caused by hardening, disabling shares in registry), whihc actually reduced security
    - one false positive (which is the uploader of the Dutch PC based tax system, i re-downloaded and compared hashes, was ok, re-scanned again FP)
    - one dangerous tracking adware cookie :D

Not bad without realtime AV, only policy management, Trusteer Rapport and on-demand Hitman Pro plus Wazzup for detection and ThreatKiller for removal (through script, simular to A2 Bitzblank, only ThreatKiller has more options)

20. Kees1958

No complementary 12 engines check

My play PC was clean, for fun I downloaded all others free scanners I could lay my hands on, which resulted in:
    - two false spyware positives (caused by hardening, disabling shares in registry), this FP actually reduce security
    - one false trojan positive (which is the uploader of the Dutch PC based tax system, i re-downloaded and compared hashes, was ok, re-scanned again, again flagged, so is the Dutch Tax Agency doeing something illegal or is it a FP?:)
    - one dangerous tracking adware cookie :D

Not bad without realtime AV, only policy management, Trusteer Rapport and on-demand Hitman Pro plus Wazzup for detection and ThreatKiller and Bitzblank for removal (ThreatKiller has more options, BitzBlank is stronger removing at boot up)

21. ako

ako Registered Member

What is "Threatkiller"?

22. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

http://www.novirusthanks.org/products/threat-killer/

23. BugBopperGuy

BugBopperGuy Registered Member

Re: Uploads without permission.

I've missed all the fun in this thread, but here are a few comments:

Uploads without permission: Not quite. On our home page, we say "Identifies all unknown executables, and transmits them to our lab for free analysis." In a white paper on "Detection Errors and Scanner Performance", we say "... sending every single unknown file back to the lab for analysis." In the License Agreement, which is displayed prior to install, we say "... the application will examine all executable files including scripts during its scan of local drives, and will transmit copies of unfamiliar files ("suspects") to the BugBopper lab for analysis. Your acceptance of this agreement affirms your acceptance of our offer of free analysis of your suspects." Installation doesn't proceed unless the License Agreement is accepted. And on the Scan Progress tab in Wuzzup, one third of the real estate is devoted to tracking uploads. A Cancel All button allows you to stop the process if you wish. This screen is explained here, where we say "Uploaded suspects are analyzed when they are received, and Wuzzup can get the results in minutes."

We provided a lot of clues that uploads of suspects will happen. But we take the constructive concerns expressed in this thread seriously. In the next release of Wuzzup, and the first release of BugBopper (both out in a few days), before anything is uploaded, we will prompt users for permission with a dialog like this: http://bugbopper.com/wuzzup/download/UploadAgreement.jpg

- David

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  24. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Re: Uploads without permission.

Hi, Welcome to Wilders.
    You are David Stang right..? :D

Thanks for giving inputs... I wish Wassup will grow as a useful utility one day. Keep us informed..:)

25. BugBopperGuy

BugBopperGuy Registered Member

Thank you.

When I was with PestPatrol, I found this forum incredibly useful in explaining our message, solving problems, addressing concerns.

From now on, I hope to be responsive here.

I would like one day to host an "Official BugBopper Support Forum" here, if you are willing.

Thanks again.

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.