Rescue CD does not boot up completely in w 7

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Anderson2, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anderson2

Anderson2 Registered Member

Using Paragon Backup 10.2 free in Windows 7 64 bit.
    Created the Rescue CD using the "Recovery Media Builder" Typical option. It said it was successful.
    I then tested it on the HP laptop I created it on, clicking on F9 to boot from the CD. It did boot from the CD but after booting ended with a blank screen and no menu to work with.

Did this twice (2 CDs). Same result.

Does the rescue CD work in Windows 7 64 bit?

What could be wrong?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Anderson,

If you boot the cd - it loads into ram . It is not in win7 at all.

Your machine may not recognize the Linux kernel used on the boot disc.

It is unusual, but not unknown.

You would be better using a winpe cd with Paragon BR10 on it.

You can use this to make one for you: http://cid-b0a22789320e3247.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/pe/XPVistapecreatorV3.zip

You need to get a 32 bit win7 recovery cd , put it in the drive, rt click the dvd drive, slect COPY, rt click your win7 partition ( probably C) select PASTE.

Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files

( If you already have the win7 32 bit installation disc, you can use that instead )

When the cd has been copied to the drive, rt click on the XPVistapecreatorv3.cmd and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

It takes only a couple of minutes to make the pe3 boot disc including Paragon for you.

Hope it helps.

[ nb..The other app, parpecreatorv5, assumes you are adding Paragon PM as well. Since you are not doing that - XPVistapecreatorv3 let's you choose whether to include PM - if not, just enter N for No, then when it asks if you want to include BR, enter Y for Yes. ]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. Anderson2

Thank you very much.

Questions:
    "You need to get a 32 bit win7 recovery cd , put it in the drive, rt click the dvd drive, slect COPY, rt click your win7 partition ( probably C) select PASTE."
    My system is 64 bit. Do your instructions about 32 bit still apply?

To clarify my problems with Paragon's rescue disk I explained it wrong. I just tried it again and here is what really happens:
    It boots correctly. I am shown a menu of (I think) 4 options, one of which is "Normal mode". When I click on "Normal mode" it shows a loading bar at the bottom and when that is finished loading all I have is a blank screen and nothing I do causes anything. So I need to hard boot back into Windows.
    As for ram, I have 6 GB so that should not be a limiting factor.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. Anderson2

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes , you need the 32 bit recovery/installation media to make the disc - it doesn't matter what bit version your installed o/s is.

Yes, I changed the link , because:

After that , enter N to including Easeus data recovery. (Unless you already have Easeus DR installed and wish to include it )

Enter Y to making an iso, and Y to burning the .iso.

The Linux\dos Paragon boot cd uses a new Linux kernel which supports ICH9 - rarely some machines have trouble loading it.

6. Anderson2

Thank you very much.

7. wardell1

wardell1 Registered Member

Hello Anderson/SIW2- I am having the same problem with the WinPE Rescue cd. I am running Win7Home Premium with 32 bits. I appreciate your effort but I believe Paragon should prepare a Winpe cd that will perform all options listed on the cd. Why doesn't Paragon fix this problem? Does it's support engineers surf this forum? We need a cd that we can download and it works!! This is the first time that I have run itto this problem.

8. Anderson2

Yes it is deplorable and irresponsible.

I ended up using Macrium Rescue. Not only did its rescue CD work flawlessly but it was much much faster. I was almost ready to purchase the paid version of Paragon Backup until I came up across the faulty rescue CD. Use Macrium. It is also very much faster.

See my other post
    http://www.sevenforums.com/software/84917-comparing-free-backup-software.html

9. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

The macrium cd works for you - and that's great - it does not work for everybody . That is the case with the Linux cd's that come with the free versions from every company.

There are always a few machines the Linux cd's will not work on, whichever company you get it from.. That is why the paid versions have WinPe cd's - you notice ,Macrium also does a WinPe cd with the paid version.

Faster is not necessarily better - macrium can go very fast - you will notice it has a setting to do that - of course the resource usage is high , you cannot work over the top , you have to sit and watch it.

Also notice that Paragon is very safe - it warns of drive problems , saving people from potential disaster.

10. Anderson2

You are correct, and thank you for your prior help.

Macrium Free will create either a Linux Rescue disk or a BartPE for those for whom the Linux one does not work. Paragon Free only creates the Linux one. There are instructions on Paragon's support site to create you own BartPE but I found these instructions to be complicated and hard to follow and thus useless for me.

On the other hand, Paragon Free allows you to make differential backups which Macrium does not. But a rescue CD that works is the most essential component of any backup software. Without it the backups become useless.

11. diligentinquirer

diligentinquirer Registered Member

So Very True Anderson2! I run winxphome. created rescue cd. won't work to enable me to get to use my paragon backup cds.

So I bought a flash drive (needed one anyway).

Is the Paragon CD supposed to work on a CD & flash drive backup as well?

12. wardell1

Thanks Anderson2.

13. diligentinquirer

diligentinquirer Registered Member

You betcha! Core prob it seems. smiles

14. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, you can use the recovery media builder to create a bootable flash.

Building a Bartpe cd is not straightforward unless you have done something along those lines before. That is also true of the Macrium app, - you can download a plugin ( but only from within XP - so no use to anyone who isn't running XP ). You also need to build the bartpe cd and you need an XP license - same as with making the Bartpe for Paragon , or anything else.

The winpe 2.1 or 3.0 cd will be much better. Very easy to do - the app. I linked will make it for you in a couple of minutes, and MS make WinPe 2.1 or 3.0 available to anyone.

15. Anderson2

Yes it will create a rescue flash drive if you prefer instead of a CD. I did not try that, but I am sure it is the same Linux boot files whether on a CD or on a flash drive so it should not make any difference to the problems I had. Also I have never booted from a flash drive.

If you mean can you backup to a flash drive, I am not sure but with a 500 G drive it would be difficult to backup images to a flash drive.

16. wardell1

Hello-The WinPE 2.1 Recovery Environment wiull boot from the Hard Disk 0 MBR located on the main menu. The other three donot work with me using Win 7 Home Premium 32bits. It appears that links for the other 3 options are not completed. The Win 7 Repair cd,32 bit will automatically boot with win7.

17. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

What main menu?

What other three?

Are you using Paragon boot manager , or windows boot manager.

Did you try booting the Paragon Winpe cd from the cd drive?

18. wardell1

WINPE 2.1 Recovery Environment cd is P aragon's Recovery disk. The main menu has 4 options for making a selection. All 4 are supposed to allow booting under various conditions. I listed the one option that worked for me.

19. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Does it look like this?

Paragon_Linux_dos-2010-05-17_034520.jpg

That is the LINUX\DOS cd .

The WinPe cd is completely different. It comes as a separate download to most of the paid programs. The boot process into the WinPe is identical to the boot process into Vista recovery cd/install dvd ( if you have the 2.1 cd) or Win7 ( If you have the WinPe3.0 cd.).

If you can't boot into the WinPe 2.1 cd, that means you can't boot a Vista install dvd either.

I have come across many who can boot Vista dvd, but can't boot Win 7 dvd ( because of the ahci.sys).

Never known a case the other way round.

If you are using the WinPe 2.1 cd - then it may be a problem with your cd burner, or the cd itself.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  20. wardell1

Hello-That is the correct main menu. I selected Hard Disk 0 MBR and booted into win7. I cannot boot into win 7 using the other options.I am supposed to be using Winpe 2.1 cd.

21. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You have been using the Linux cd.

You need to use the WinPe cd instead. It comes with the paid versions of Paragon products ( except, I think, PM personal)

You can download the iso ( or preferably the Winpercd self burner ) from your account under the Downloads section.

Use the email adress and login code you received with your registration email from Paragon.

Login to MyAccount

Which Paragon product are you using?

22. wardell1

I downloaded both types.There are three options. One option is Typical which is Linux/DOS. The second is User Specified cd/dvd image(iso file) and the third method is to copy the recovery data from an existing cd. I made cds from the first two options and ran all options on both. They worked the same on my Win 7. The only option that would boot was Hard Disk 0 MBR for both cases. I downloaded/and burned the iso image again from my account and received the same results. This is the purchased product(HDM2010).

23. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I haven't tried using the paragon rmb to burn a winpe .iso - sounds like it is adding a linux/grub boot menu, which obviously isn't working for you.

Try using a different burner to burn the Winpe .iso to cd .

In windows 7, just rt click the winpe.iso and select open. Windows own disc image burner should pop up.

OR download the winpercd, which is a self burning package.

24. wardell1

Hello SWi2-I had already downloaded the winpe cd. I followed your instructions other than I was given the option to install only and received the option to accept the agreement which I did. After downloading/installing,I gave it a chance to boot and it opened in HDM2010. I saw a restart option at the bottom left corner of the window hoping to boot to windows 7. However,it restarted the HDM2010 program. It was in the process of repeating the previous steps leading to building a recovery cd when I stopped the process by opening the dvd/cd drive. It then booted to win7. Is there a step to perform to go into win7 boot rather than HDM2010 before I selected Restart?Thanks very much.

25. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

The Express Menu is called the shell.

Exiting the shell causes winpe to reboot the pc.

If you still have the Paragon cd in the dvd drive, it will boot from the dvd drive again.

If you take the cd out it will boot from the next bootable item in the bios boot order - the HD.

[you can take the cd out as soon as you see the paragon is initialising hardware message - at that point , it is all loaded into ram ( memory ) and you don't need the cd in the drive anymore.]

Otherwise, instead of setting bios to always search for something bootable in the dvd drive before looking at the HD, see if you get an option when you start the pc something like

F2 (or some other key ) for setup

F11 ( or some other key ) for boot menu.

If you get the boot menu option - that's great.

It means you can press F2 ( or whatever key you get for setup ) that takes you into bios settings.

You will find a heading for boot order ( or similar ) . Set your HD first in the order, and dvddrive and usb after that. Save and Exit ( there will be a key for that - usually F10 - it will tell you ).

In future, to boot from dvd or usb , press the F11 ( or whatever key yours is for boot menu ). Arrow down to cdromdrive, put cd in the drive, close it, press enter .

That is one time boot only - on next restart , the pc uses the order you set in bios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.