How to remove the new sidebar in Google Search

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Following the storm of emotions since Google launched a new version of their website/search, which now features a sidebar on the left side, I've decided to blitz-write a tutorial that explains how the sidebar can be disabled.

The article lists several solutions, including extensions for Firefox and Chrome and using alternative Google search domains for all browsers.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/google-sidebar.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Since the article doesn't mention any solutions for Internet Explorer and Opera I'll do it.

For Internet Explorer one must install IE7Pro then open install this script by opnening the link in Internet Explorer, clicking install as a user script on the right side and finally clicking Install in the newly opened window. Done!

For Opera is even easier as it already supports Greasemonkey scripts, so there is no need to install additional software. A user needs to first specify a folder for custom user scripts in the browser: Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Content -> JavaScript Options..., then enter the path in the field at the bottom of the dialogue window (or click Choose... and navigate to the folder). Hit OK on all windows. Then just download this script by right-clicking on Install -> Save Linked Content As... and saving the file to the already appointed folder in Opera. Finaly just restart the browser and voila.

Another way to go (for Opera) is to use a custom CSS:
    1) copy and paste the following text in Notepad:
    Code:
    div#leftnav { display: none !important; }
    #center_col { margin-left: 0px !important; }
    2) save the file with a .css extension (some_name.css) in a convenient folder (the root Opera folder is a good choice);
    3) load Google, right-click anywhere on empty space on the page -> Edit Site Preferences... -> Display, then type the name to the already created .css file in the field at the bottom (or use the Choose... button);
    4) refresh Google.
    Note: as this method is domain specific, if one is using one or more different (localized) versions of Google, one would have to point to the .css file for each page/domain.

I've personally tested these things and they work.

P.S.: Sorry about the wall of text and lack of more convenient formatting but I'm kind of sleepy right now... for some reason.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Thank you. With your permission, I'll add that to the article with credits to you.
    Mrk

4. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Well, those aren't really my scripts or ideas, I just found them for myself while I was searching for solutions after I realised how much the new Google crap was bugging me.

Anyway, if you want to use this on your page, I don't mind at all. Also, you can go through it and make things clearer (or you can even rewrite the whole thing if needed), as I'm not operating at optimum efficiency at the moment and might have expressed myself not as well as I would have liked to and/or should have. :) One more reason to do so is the fact that english is not my native language.

5. culla

culla Registered Member

or change search engine i've changed cause google is getting to power hungry and takes no notice of all the complaints so fg

6. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Probably the easiest way to do this is by using this Stylish script:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document url-prefix("http://www.google.com/search") {

#leftnav,#rhs{

display: none !important;

}

#center_col,#foot{

margin-left: 0 !important;

border-left: none !important;

}

div[class="s hc"]{

max-width: 64em !important;

}

}

http://userstyles.org/styles/29630

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Maybe i'm lucky :D but i don't see the sidebar, even with cookies and scripting enabled. I normally surf without such things for most of the time, and use Scroogle anyway. Not sure why i get the results i do, but i'm not complaining :D just curious ?

ff.gif

ie6.gif

9. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

10. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I'm using this script:
    Google Left Navigation Panel Popup
    http://userstyles.org/styles/29619
    which hides it, but give you a fly-out if you should need to access it.

I'm using it with GreaseMonkey, but there is a version for Stylish and versions for other browsers (available on the same page).

11. CloneRanger

Interesting, i'm now seeing the sidebar in FF, but not IE6 ?

o_O :doubt:

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

13. CloneRanger

Today both FF and IE6 shows NO sidebar o_O

Wierd, but not complaining :D :thumb:

14. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Am I missing something? Google used to show little pay ads on the right side, has for years now. Since the last day or two, those are gone, but replaced by the new area on the left, which I assume is the sidebar? What is the issue with it? I did not lose any screen-space. Is there a concern, or just some people lose screen-space.

Sul.

16. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi Sully...

A major problem is they've maybe knocked Scroogle out of the game. See this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=272361

17. culla

culla Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.