ShadowProtect Recovery Issue

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by SafetyFirst, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Yesterday and today I had a series of blue and black screens with "A disk error occured, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" messages. I suspect it might be caused by a new version of my favorite software that I upgraded yesterday.

After many unsuccesful attempts to boot either in normal or safe mode, I decided to restore a ShadowProtect backup image of my C partition.

I put the SP recovery CD into my CD drive, plugged in the USB stick with the backup image on it and booted into SP Recovery Environment.

The backup image was AES-128 encrypted by SP and I was shocked I couldn't open it! :eek: I had tried to mount and explore that image before (when my system was still OK) with no problems at all. But to my surprise, yesterday, when I needed it most, it kept telling me "Bad password, retry or cancel". :mad:

I was so surprised that I just couldn't believe it. :doubt: I even suspected I might have misstyped the password during the creation of the encrypted image (which is impossible as I had mounted that image with that password before), that I kept trying typing slightly different passwords changing letters, caps locks etc. No go. "Bad password". Retry or cancel. :blink:

When I finally succeeded to boot into normal mode (from HD, not from SP boot CD) after more than 50 attempts, I disabled all security software (including the one I consider guilty for the BSODs), I mounted the encrypted backup image from the USB stick and opened it easily with that password I had tried so many times before. o_O

What is that? Does anyone know, is it mentioned anywhere in the SP documentation that you can't decrypt encrypted images while in SP Recovery Environment? If so, what's the point of adding encryption option in the first place?
    o_O

Anyone?

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi sorry to hear about your problems. I also noticed your Spinrite thread, and i've read many good things about it, so it'll be nice to hear your experiences with it, in that thread.

If your problems are not hardware related, i think it would benefit everybody if you told us what software you believe to be the culprit, to prevent the possibility of it happening to others.

Havn't used SP but if you can't do that, it would seem incredible you couldn't :eek:

3. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I am sorry to say it, but I suspect it's DefenseWall v3. Yesterday I upgraded from v2.56 to v3. Initially I had some problems connecting to the internet through Tor and Ilya was very helpful (as you can see from this thread), but later on I had a terrible series of BSODs.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Safetyfirst

I can't help as I don't encrypt images, partly for the concerns of what you are experiencing. I would suggest you go to the storagecraft forums and ask there.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.