"Ask" and "Quickstores" toolbars

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Victek, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

These crap toolbars were installed without warning by Format Factory. There is already a thread about this, but it doesn't address how to remove the toolbars completely. I have them disabled in Internet Explorer, and have been able to remove them from Firefox. However there is still an entry in the Remove Programs section of Windows 7 and when I start the uninstall it only gives repair or modify options. A quick scan with MBAM is not picking up anything - I'm scanning with SAS as I write. I would appreciate any advice about how to completely remove all traces - thanks!

Update: I found an Ask toolbar remover which did the job, but I still have traces of the Quickstores toolbar.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Try Nirsofts RegScanner to search for any registry references. It's far more flexible than Regedit's search function.

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks, now I need a "Quickstores toolbar" remover :)

5. doktornotor

Never heard of it... and Google doesn't seem to return much useful info either. Do you have URL/screenshot for that one?

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I deselected "add ASK toolbar" option when updating my PDF-Xchange Reader. Not the end of it. I found 2 references to it in my registry cleaner which I deleted. Then while looking through my Outpost firewall Host Protection under Known Components, I found 2 or 3 references to Ask. So you don't even have to install the damb thing to have it imbed itself into your computer. These people should be eliminated. :mad:

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks I'll give it a try.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I don't have a URL. It just showed up with the "Ask.com" toolbar, but there's no entry for uninstalling it. This happened on my laptop, which is in the car at the moment - I'll pull it out later and post a screenshot.

Edit:
    Here's a screenshot of the QuickStores Toolbar in Internet Explorer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  9. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Search your pc for a directory named QuickStoresToolbar, I think it'll be in appdata\local, then launch unins000.exe.
    Also check in the registry after running the uninstaller to make sure the value HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\{10EDB994-47F8-43F7-AE96-F2EA63E9F90F} REG_SZ QuickStores-Toolbar is removed.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for this tip. In my case the folder was in appdata\roaming. I was able to uninstall the toolbar using the unins000.exe file :cool: Case closed!

11. doktornotor

Awww... I wanted the screenshot for my collection. :D Good that it's gone, eh... toolbar installing another toolbar, bleh... these people just don't know where to stop. o_O

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I did add the screenshot - scroll up and you'll see it. Your collection is complete :)

13. doktornotor

Great... :D What a useless clutter that toolbar is, uh...

14. Acorn

Acorn Registered Member

Hi people,

I had the same problem with quickstores.

To remove it, open your browser, click on the down arrow on the QuickStores icon to the left of the toolbar. There are two options there. One is to remove it.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.