Problem with install

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by dueceswild, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

I posted in another thread as I thought the issues may be similar; looks like they're not so much, so I wanted to post here so as not to hijack that one.

When installing, I get error 0X80070002, then on restart I get the Infw error, but instead of 4 I get error code 0.

I also just purchased Defensewall version 3, and was trying to find a good non-hips FW to go with it in case of a problem with that firewall. I have in the past had OA and ZA which installed fine. And, each has been cleaned out (to the best of my knowledge- and I cleaned as safely as I could). Never used any other uninstallers except product-related, then CCleaner.

All security disabled, Defensewall uninstalled, at LnS installation.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Your post from the NOD32 ESS board is here

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi dueceswild,

What Look 'n' Stop package you downloading? One with the VC2005-SP1 libraries? For 32bit? ;)

4. dueceswild

I'm not looking at it right now- I'm on a different computer. I am sure 32 bit, but which installer package should I be using?

5. dueceswild

It says LooknStop Setup_207_VC2005 Win32 CAB version 6.0.2900.5512

6. Phant0m

7. dueceswild

Hello Phant0m, thanks for taking the time to help me. I did as you requested, downloading from the link. I guess it installed correctly, I did not get a response on completion; everything just closed out. I then attempted to install from the installer I alluded to earlier. If thats not correct, I am not clear with what you mean here:
    What I have downloaded is all I could find on the LnS site for 32 bit.

8. Phant0m

9. dueceswild

Thanks for the link Phant0m, but unfortunately no luck. Downloaded and tried both with/without the download from the Microsoft link. Same error message(s) as before.

10. Phant0m

So the VC2005-SP1 libraries installed without error? And the Look 'n' Stop package that is for an fresh install and doesn't download and install the VC2005-SP1 libraries, still came up with 0x80070002 error? Or is it now just the other error?

Regards,
    Phant0m``

11. dueceswild

I am assuming no errors; it went through the installation screen, said it was installing, then everything closed like it was installed.

As for LnS, I used the installers you directed me to. I tried to install both before applying the file from Microsoft, then both after. I got the same two errors I had previously gotten: the 0x80070002 and the Infw 0 error.

12. dueceswild

I do have Windows C++ Redistributable 2008. I have uninstalled the 2005 temporarily; I will be happy to do whatever is necessary to try to get Look'n'Stop working. I downloaded a trial on a work computer and really like it.

I hope we can get the issue fixed for the home computer.

13. Phant0m

My original thoughts was the error 0x80070002 was from the VC2005-SP1 package, maybe Fred will soon reply and confirm.

14. dueceswild

Well, that's some progress anyway. A quick search of the forum from several years ago led me to believe this problem couldn't be corrected/worked around. Isolating the problem (if that's what it is) gives me a little hope.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=115943&highlight=error+0x80070002

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  15. Harrynhoot

Harrynhoot Registered Member

Well, I'm having problems similar in nature. Just [tried to] install LnS on a brand new Win 7/64 machine which told me the install was successful. I used the 64 bit download from the LnS 'Trial' download page.

Then couldn't get my broadband connection [Error 651 modem or connecting device reporting error]. Anticipating that LnS was needing to OK this connection, I went to the Start Menu and tried to start LnS but it would not start.

I did get several small LnS pop-up's asking if it was OK to allow Firefox and Svcs&Controller to access the internet.

Tried to start LnS again from start menu -- no dice.

Went into Programs and tried to invoke LnS with the '.exe' file and received the following:

[​IMG]

Uninstalled LnS, rebooted and everything is now working as before.

Was really looking forward to LnS after extensive reading here and elsewhere about a FW for this machine.

Not an encouraging start, especially after finding posts back to 2005 [https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=61088&highlight=80070002] that seem to [guru I'm not] discuss similar problems.

Bob

Attached Files:

16. dueceswild

Looks, for the most part, like my message except mine has less detail. I don't get the INSFW message unless I try to start LnS. And, I haven't had trouble with internet access in any case.

17. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

at some stage did you use some slipstream method to build/patch your machine?

18. dueceswild

Cudni, I can honestly say no. Because I have no idea what that is. It is a Gateway, about 3-4 years old, stock. Fully patched SP3.

19. Phant0m

Using Windows Regedit utility, could you tell me what you have for "DevicePath" value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.

Like Frederic said in the other topic, “Normally it should be "%SystemRoot%\inf"”

20. Phant0m

Hi dueceswild,

After you had uninstalled Look 'n' Stop via it's own uninstaller, did you try following the manual removal instructions that was available at http://www.looknstop.com/En/faq_problems.htm#driver_remove ??

21. dueceswild

Phant0m,
    No, I haven't used that. I never could see where any drivers were installed. I'll be happy to try. What I did do was:
    1. Try to install
    2. During the install, got the error
    3. One time, actually restarted, but regardless ended up at the Infw error
    4. Try to load LnS, got the Infw error
    5. Uninstall using LnS uninstaller
    6. Reboot
    7. CCleaner
    8. Scan registry for signs of Soft4ever or Look 'n' Stop

22. Phant0m

CCleaner wouldn’t really help in this situation.

23. dueceswild

Thats the way mine reads, without the quotes (if that's important).

24. Harrynhoot

Harrynhoot Registered Member

That value is "%SystemRoot%\inf".

Bob

25. dueceswild

This evening, I can't tell where the VC2005-SP1 libraries installed at all; maybe they never did. I don't get errors; the install box pops up, stays for a while, then disappears. When I check add/remove programs, the 2 instances of the 2008 libraries are there- just no 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.