PCWorld reviews security suites

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Can there be anything on top except Norton when it comes to PCWorld?

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

At least I can always have a laugh at such reports/reviews.

more than likely off topic

I am biased when looking at security suites as I look at the firewall implementation, most of which are quite, well, disastrous.
    I did install Norton some time ago so I could answer a question on the firewall forum, and while installed I looked through the help files and found that Norton puts forward that it filters TCP to seq numbers. That to me is very interesting, however, after checking, it only checks seq of initial connection and does not check seq of ACKs. So although I complain of lack of packet filtering in various other firewalls, those (that I have seen) do not attempt to give out false information concerning filtering ability.

Sorry for the rant(not really).

- Steve

4. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

Well, avg available for just £3.95 is sounding greater day by day.

Av-test did the testing, not pc world I think.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes,.. in close cooperation :D

http://www.av-test.org/

6. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Not wanting to start a flame war here but AVG is not good for free or paid.

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I can only go from what I know (not from what I am told). From what I see, it does not always depend specifically on what security you have installed, but on the behavior of the user. A close friend of mine does use AVG free (not that I agree with such), she as used it for a number of years. I do, when I go round, check out her PC(of course with permission) to check for any possible compromises, up to now I have found nothing more than a few cookies that are (possibly) dubious.

So I need to disagree to such a statement.

Regards,

- Steve

9. PC__Gamer

well, ive used AVG before and never had a problem with it, and these results seem fine for most people.

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Have you checked to AVG logs to see if it has detected anything at all? For all we know your friend could run w/out an AV and remain infection-free. ;)

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes, I check the logs, and do see from time to time blocked events/Viri.

I admit to knowing little(compared to TCP/IP) of such, but can find compromise of system, even if I do not know possibly the cause.

I would actually prefer to set her up with a classic HIPS, but she is happy, and I cannot argue due to no problems.

- Steve

12. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I think you have your magazine mixed up. Probably you meant to say PCMag.

Thanks.

13. Jav

Jav Guest

I don't really like AVG myself too.
    Actually I don't have reasons not to like it. So I am more or less neutral to it.

But why the fact that AVG has partnered with Limewire should stop someone from using AVG? :doubt:

I do understand that Limewire is p2p program, and being such believed to be root of malware.

But at the same time, that's the reason why we should be happy that atleast some AV company has partnered with them and so now files download from this p2p network (potential security risks) will be scanned with AVG AV engine (maybe not the best one, but atleast it's better then noone!?)

:doubt:

14. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I can also confirm AV-test.org result even though a much smaller samples of 30 malware links, NIS 2010 dealt with all of them. To me, Symantec has the best Internet Security suite available right now with Quorum and Sonar2.

Thanks.

15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I disagree with the ratings but that's just my opinion.

16. PC__Gamer

people just think Norton pay Pc-World, PC-MAG and all the others, pure BS im sure.

Norton has truly re-vamped itself since the 2007 version, although come a new outbreak, Norton will be one of the first to fail as im sure most virus-writers work to get it past them first before anyone else.

its the price of popularity im afraid, i like Norton though, good result! :thumb:

17. mvario

mvario Registered Member

You mean the 2007 PCMag Editor's Choice version?
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2023972,00.asp

2005?
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1646457,00.asp

2004?
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1621775,00.asp

2008?
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2180639,00.asp

I think 2006 was the only year in a while when they didn't buy weren't awarded "Editor's Choice from PCMag.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I would agree that user behavior is key. I've seen a number of PCs infected with scareware/fakeAV recently and they were running AVG Free, which sat there doing nothing. That doesn't mean it has no value, but it's important to know what you can expect from your security software. It seems clear that people who download files indiscriminately using Limewire, etc, need more then AVG Free. Under the circumstances it's ironic that Limewire Pro is including AVG, not only because it can't seem to block sophisticated malware but because all the kids are using Limewire because it's FREE and will not be buying the Pro version :rolleyes: sigh...

19. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I love it. ROFL.
    Hugger

20. progress

progress Guest

AVG in front of Avast - that's really amazing ... :D

21. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

PC World is far more trustworthy than PC Magazine (which is no longer printed and is web-only). These were done along with AV-Test and I'm not surprised with the results. Norton is a much better piece of software than it was just 2 years ago. Much, much lighter, too.

When it's independent testing versus opinion - I'll side with the testing.

About AV-Test.org:

The AV-Test GmbH was founded by Andreas Marx, Oliver Marx and Guido Habicht in Magdeburg in 2004 and has constantly grown since then. Our team consisting of 14 employees has more than 15 years of experience in the area of anti-virus research and data security.

Up to date with the latest proficiency and development within the IT-security branch, AV-Test is one of the worldwide leading providers of test scenarios analysing effectiveness, behaviour and speed of IT-security solutions.

National and international magazines as well as all renowned vendors of security software are counted among our business partners.

Due to the modern equipment of our test laboratories, including more than 200 client and server systems, we are able to run complex tests and test scenarios of single products, technical components or do comparing analyses fast and professionally. Currently we have access to 140 Terabytes of testing data (this includes several million malware samples and clean files).

The development of comprehensive test plans and methods allows us to achieve objective results and the highest possible benefit for your company.​

22. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

I somewhat agree with the "advances" Limewire" has made with at least trying. That said, Limewire is still a hotbed of malware imo. P2P is fine IF you have the right defense setup, AVG isn't what I'd choose though, by a long shot, free or paid.

I still get a kick out of people forgetting about a company's entire history and buying into the whole "they've seen the light" BS. (hear that Microsoft?):ninja:

23. tipo

tipo Registered Member

24. guest

guest Guest

This is so weird, Norton wining again in PCWorld? xD jaja

25. kupton

kupton Registered Member

In the comments...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.