Windows 7 Firewall Control or Comodo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chinook9, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I still haven't decided on a firewall (or antivirus) for my netbook.

I have read that the Windows 7 firewall is a good one but it doesn't have any outbound protection unless outbound is totally disallowed and rules written enabling the exceptions. I don't really know much about writing rules so I tried Windows 7 Firewall Control. It simplifies the process and makes it easy and user friendly, however, it is not really light for a relatively simple GUI.

The question I have is this. Windows 7 Firewall Control is a little heavier than Comodo (including Defense +). Would I be better off just going with Comodo. Its a great firewall and I would also enable Defense +.

I have quite a bit of experience with earlier versions of Comodo and after living through all of the early pop-ups it quiets down and provides great protection.

Am I missing something here? Do I really need outbound protection?

What do you think?

2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

comodo with firewall how has a sandbox, i would use comodo.

3. Gen

Gen Registered Member

Im using the windows firewall control and its not that a resource hog. Im trying to use as less 3rd parties software as possible to have a smooth session everytime and it's not that bad, plus you don't give up on security (firewall wise).

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Actually you do. With Win7FW Control you can only put apps in a 1 category. With Comodo you zones. Some apps you may only want to be able to use the net at campus, home, work, etc, but with Win7FW Control you dont have those options. All Win7FW Control is is a panel to help make setting up the Win7FW easier.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I think you have already made your mind up.

- Stem

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

You talk about the Freeware - the paid has that feature (and some more).

#never ever comodo here again

7. whitedragon551

Yea, but Comodo is free and does much more than what Windows FW can do. Why would I waste money and get a limited FW, when I can save money and get more options including a sandbox and HIPS in one package.

8. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

why not?

9. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Enable the Win 7 outbound, install the W7FWC plus version for the trial period and use it to setup your outbound rules in Win 7 native firewall.

10. whitedragon551

OP can only do that if he plans on using the same "zone" for every single internet connection he encounters. Thats all the free version of Win7FWCtrl does.

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

exactly what i did for the vista x64 gaming pc of my son. use stem's excellent tutorial to fine native fw for windows services.

12. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I am following the thread and doing some reading on firewalls. My problem is that I don't know enough about firewalls to completely understand everything that is posted. I like the idea of the Windows Firewall control (the free one) but I need to learn more before I can use it effectively. I am headed out of town for a week or two and I will do some reading on firewalls while I'm gone. I will also check Stem's (the one who thinks I've already made my decision) post on the Vista firewall. I scanned it last night but I need a lot more time on it.

Anyway, I still have not decided, I am still reading, and I still welcome any recommendations.

13. sunoracle

sunoracle Registered Member

I used Comodo for a long time, but I'm not sure I want to install it on new computers in the future.

There was that problem where upgrades silently failed and you were stuck on v3.12 or whatever. When I found out about it, I upgraded to v4 and had a lot of problems with the sandbox and Defense+.

I wanted to uninstall Comodo and start out fresh. It wouldn't uninstall, and when I looked for info about this I found that it's been a long-term problem.

I'm in the process of looking for a firewall for Win 7 too, in my case 64-bit.

I want some control over outbound connections so I know what's going on with my computer. I want to be able to decide whether software contacts the outside world or not.

I was thinking about using Win 7 Firewall Control, and I will probably at least try it out. I like the idea of using WFP, rather than depending on 3rd-party drivers.

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I did get that impression from your first post. No offense intended :)

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have not migrated to Win7. I would still be on W2K if the software I used still fully supported it.

When I look at firewalls (packet filters) I look at what they can add to the protection already there. I will not replace security with a program that then offers less security (in this case packet filtering), to me, and probably you (and others) that would/should be quite obvious?.

The win7 (and vista) inbuilt firewalls can be a bit of a pain to set up (outbound control), certainly as it does not give popups for programs that are being blocked and can easily lead to problems with internet connection loss. But IMHO, it is worth the time to learn.

- Steve

16. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

idd they are - thats why i use malware defender (torchsoft) which has
    same access on WFP and a comfortable interface.
    W7FC would be my 2nd choice

>> never ever comodo here again
    >> why not?

too many negative issues concerning the comodo group including
    their nasty inquisitiveness.

17. arran

arran Registered Member

what is W7FWC plus version?

18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Windows 7 Firewall Control Plus. It's the paid version but comes with a trial period.

19. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I recently tried the x64 versions of Comodo Internet Security, Windows 7 Firewall Control, and Privatefirewall on Windows 7 x64. I'm looking for a firewall without HIPS.

Privatefirewall bit the dust due to https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1669677&postcount=42.

The three negatives I found of the free version of Windows 7 Firewall Control are:
    a) can't control anything within \windows folder; Comodo can
    b) no password protection option to change firewall settings; thus any user can change the firewall settings; Comodo has password protection option
    c) get block notifications for some programs within \windows that are set to EnableAll. Why? I solved the problem by doing the regedit operation mentioned at http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/faq.html.

I decided that I'll use Windows 7 Firewall Control free version, because I don't want to use 3rd party drivers if not necessary. If Windows 7 Firewall Control doesn't work out, then I'll use Comodo Internet Security.

20. whitedragon551

You should try out LnS.

21. MrBrian

Thanks :). I failed to mention that I'm also looking for a freebie though.

22. whitedragon551

LnS has a free counterpart. After the 30 day trial is up it disables the application filtering and the advanced options portion, but everything else is still usable.

23. MrBrian

Thanks for the tip :). I'll download it now....

24. whitedragon551

You might pay for it. ;)

25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What's the difference between Windows 7 Firewall Control by Sphinx and the Windows Firewall Control 1.6 by Alexandru Dicu?

And do they both work on Vista?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.