Can't print with 4.2.35.0

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by devolic, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devolic

devolic Registered Member

I just installed 4.2.35.0 and now I can't print unless I disable the firewalls on both computers. I didn't have this problem with the previous version. I added the IP address of the computers to the trusted zone. What gives?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What message is logged in the firewall log if you enable logging of all blocked communication in the IDS setup and reproduce the problem?
    I've come across cases when a network printer produced a port scan attack which was subsequently blocked by ESS.

3. devolic

The only thing that it says with the IP of the printer hooked to that computer is "Block incoming NETBIOS requests".

4. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I don't have any network issues with any of the 4.2 versions since I added a new rule which fully allows netbios in the trusted zone (local network).
    Under Advanced Options go to Personal Firewall and select to add a new rule under the heading "Rules with no application assigned".
    The direction should be both and Action should be allow. Go to the remote tab and click on zone and then add trusted zone.
    When you have ok'd the new rule it should look like this:
    Rule Name: Local Netbios
    General: Direction: Both Action: Allow Protocol: TCP UDP Profile: For Every
    Remote Side: Zone: Trusted Zone
    For every port
    Local side: For all

I am assuming you have the firewall set to Interactive Mode.

I had lots of issues with the local network until I added this rule. You should also tick all the boxes under IDS and Advanced Options (although Allowing incoming streams from the internet via the IGMP protocol is not necessary and I don't have this ticked).

5. michelle911

michelle911 Registered Member

I had the same problem on my home network - I added the subnet to the trusted zone as it did not automatically put it in there and then added the above rule to allow tcp & udp on all ports for the trusted zone and it works now.
    But I have one desktop on my work domain that is not joined to the domain that will not connect to domain public shares or printers. I have added both of the above rules and can connect to other clients but not server shares.

6. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does adding the IP address of the remote computer to the list of addresses excluded from active protection (IDS) in the zone setup make a difference?

8. devolic

Thank-you,
    That worked Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.