Avira 10 launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

Hmm well in an SMC managed environment Avira chose to make the default behaviour (assuming you have product updates enabled) to install the update and immediately reboot the client - as in no "Do you want to reboot?", it just does it.

Good job I had a test group!!

Apparently they are going to bring out a patch/update to address this.

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I received a slide up with download link when i manually updated. Think i'll hold off for now until everythings confirmed 100% hunky dory. As with most new releases of any software, there can be a few issues. Hope not but you never know.

Anyway all the best to Avira.

@RejZoR

Well don't use it then :D

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Wait... why does it not create an update job of its own? o_O

4. Azade

Azade Registered Member

A little bit slower web browsing compared to Kaspersky !

5. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

What about speed of scanning? Avira is fast or not?

In lot of tests I watched Avira 9 and the new version is not good security soft, only good marks at AV-C tests, in other test efficiency is not good as in other antivirs.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, i'm not. Tried it in VirtualPC. It hardly detected anything new, it was annoying with it's dumb ad popup, stupid update policy, only thing good about it was GUI facelift (very Symantecish, though i like it), fast scanning and well, that's it. Not all that impressive. Honestly, i'd rather use Comodo IS 4 than this. Even with it's dumb things it was more pleasant program to use and protection was far better. And no friggin ads. So think about it why would anyone else switch to AVIRA Free. Or a re ppl really so non demanding that they can live with that stupid popup. I guess i'll never know.

7. CloneRanger

@RejZoR

I see you just tried it, Ok.

That Avira popup takes me less than 1 second to click away, with v9 anyway.

Your site http://www.rejzor.tk requires both Scripting and an iframe to view

r.gif

Otherwise this is all i see

rb.gif

So to be able to view etc your www takes more clicks in NoScript and an iframe as well. Which is several seconds longer than the Avira popup takes to kill it. Touche :D

Really ! how did you reach that conclusion ?

8. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Checking too often for updates just slows down the computer and wasting resources. For me it is more important that the virus analysts perform a good job during the day rather than software often checks for updates. For average users this is sufficient. Especially if the antivirus has good heuristics, generic detection or behavior blocking.

My critics relates to the annoying pop-up and a lack of behavior blocking in the free version.

9. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

you should post that on there forum i agree.

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've given the new version of the Avira security suite a try.

On-demand scans scan for hidden objects. In version 9 no hidden objects were ever detected.

But in this new version some hidden objects, apparently windows (system?) files were detected. Just detected, nothing else.

I'm not sure what to think of it. Any ideas ?

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If you ask me, NoScript is the most useless overparanoid addon for Firefox you can think off. So i don't bother with it. My page works just fine otherwise.

As for the updating. Sure it wastes resources if it has junk updater. My avast! IS checks for updates hourly and i don't even know it's doing that on weak netbook. So again, that's hardly relevant.

12. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

On my dual core desktop Avast 5 slows PC for 30-60 seconds during every update. At the end, Avira Free with daily update has far better detection than the Avast with a few update checking and 2-3 updates during the day.

But, please do not turn this topic to Avira 10 vs. Avast 5. :)

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

just countering saying im also on a dual core and dont notice updates happening with avast ever so i have no idea wat ur talking about. but its kinda contradictory replying about that then saying lets not make this an avira vs avast thread...

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Then it's time for you to ask yourself if there is something seriously wrong with that computer and not with avast!... It's not avast! vs AVIRA, but there just isn't any other way describing how dumb some features are in AVIRA.

15. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I thought that the free version can be updated every two hours in settings.

16. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

@RejZoR

yeah i agree with what your saying.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It can, but by default it's set to 4 hours.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

But are not updates, sig files? Isnt it the responsibility of any AV product to also be able through heuristics and emulators, to be able to catch stuff that is like Mike, but maybe not Mike. I am just trying to understand.

19. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

I have the cause and solution to the fact of my high CPU and freezing at startup with one of our vista machines. The hosts file was too large, and the "DNS Client" services doesn't like that :D . So I gone use MBAM IP instead.

Version 10 runs smootly now.

20. CloneRanger

@De Hollander

A large HOSTS file has been problamatic for some time in XP/Vista. The general advice seems to be disable the "DNS Client" in services.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

21. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

You can set the updater to update when you like in Avira and it's easy to block the ad that comes up with Avira free. But you would think by default Avira would set it's update every 4~6hours when you install it. As for the ad, it would be nice it they left it at the bottom of the main display like Avast does. Some valid points here but I still like Avira AV. I use it as a on-demand scanner much like MBAM. Overall a good update from the Avira team.

Just my .02cents,
    Ice

22. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

;) Thx for the tip, but this machine needs Network Discovery.

23. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have used HOST files for years http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm I have alway have always disabled the "DNS Client" on my system and it rarely boggs down.

24. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

RejZoR........I'm hearing ALOT of the same complaints from people about this new version. It was built up to be the second coming and it doesn't sound like it's delivering. Every new release has bugs but Avira needs to hurry and pick the ball back up here because Avast is just as easy to spell.;)

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I also hate the pop up from Avira. Sometimes it even looks like a pop up from a rouge. You just switched on ur PC and after a few minutes, from no where you get a large pop up asking you for upgrade money. :thumbd:

Avira update issues are years long and I don,t vene expect them to be corrected in near future. However I think there is way to update it nmore than once/24 H, not sure though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.