Calling Mr. Mike Nash?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Sam Hell, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Hell

Sam Hell Registered Member

Sir, I do not know if you have read my last thread, it does not seem to be a hot topic though two members were kind enough to offer suggestions to my problem of no XP firewall due to missing Shared Access albeit w/o fortunate result. I have not found the service anywhere on my computer including such reg backups as made by Windows or certain reg cleaners I have used recently. I have tried suggested remedies in a couple of the MS kbs addressing this, also to no avail. I will continue to try to solve this but as my time at the computer is often resrticted it would help allot for now if you would answer one simple question: Is your software dependent on Shared Access service or Not? For now I just need a firewall. Thank you.

2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

The shared access service that you speak of is actually Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

4. sded

sded Registered Member

I missed your last post, but what happens when you go to "services" and try to turn it back on? Or is it not in the list of services at all? Which XP Service Pack are you using? Have you tried to add another firewall already? Since Mike is probably asleep in Australia, maybe someone else at the OA forum can help.

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello:

I realize you want Mike to answer but let me try. I read all your posts here and to try help you out.

You seem to be missing a windows service needed both for Windows FW and OA or any other 3rd party FW.

An earlier post mentioned this as well.

So do one thing for us, go to administrative tools find the service and check it's properties. It should be started automatically AND any other services listed in it's properties that it is dependant on.

If in the worst case you don't have this service them I fear your windows xp is corrupted and you will need to reinstall either from an image or from the original os disks that came with your computer.

Here is an excerpt from an earlier post on a similar subject:

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello,

I dont know why you had the other thread closed, then started this with questions concerning if a security applications needs (what appears to be on your setup) probably lost/corrupted windows services.

It would be advisable to actually repair winXP before proceeding with the installation of any security application (IMHO).

Take a look at repairing you winXP base installation. Some info here:- http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

Of course, make a backup first.

- Stem

7. Sam Hell

Thank you all for your replies.

I had closed the other thread because it appeared to have died. Sorry I did not post a link to the details, for anyone else still interested it is here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1643758#post1643758

I think Stem and Escalader have answered my question to Mr. Nash. After again verifying that ICS and all dependencies are set to auto, corrupt xp seems no longer deniable. Neither apparently is the need to buy some imaging sw. I made recovery disk long ago but never tested (no fire drill) and it failed when I needed. Somehow managed to recover from d: where HP stores Win & factory settings. (no XP disks here). I have a small USB portable hard drive so data is ok, but...?

Thanks Stem for geekstogo link, I'll be studying that, and trying to salvage everything I can while hoping that my d: is not also corrupt by an obscure AV I scanned with yrs back which deleted a possible fp instead of quarantine as instructed AUGH!

I'll check back to see if anyone else has another less dreadful solution, but I'm more confident the problem has been identified: user is an idiot! :ouch:

Regards, S.H.

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I'm running XP SP2 with ZoneAlarm FW.

Makes me wonder how i've got any internet connection then ? as i've disabled both these Services :D

Application Layer Gateway Service - Provides support for 3rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows

alg.gif

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) - Provides network address translation, addressing, name resolution and/or intrusion prevention services for a home or small office network.

ics.gif

So i'm thinking, your issues "might" not be either of those ? unless OA relies on them ?

Could be a Winsock problem ? If so a utility such as these should fix it.

WinSock XP Fix

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

LSP-Fix

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Just thought it might be worth me posting all this, just in case it helps ! Hope you get it sorted anyway :)

9. Sam Hell

Clone Ranger, thanks for reminding me :)

Here is a list of the services that I had disabled while running Rising Free FW the last couple of years:
    Application Layer Gateway Service
    Security Center
    Windows FW/ICS
    Windows Mgt Instrumentation
    WMI Driver Extensions
    Workstation

All I had reset to Auto for so far failed troubleshoot.
    I set Application Layer Gateway Service to Auto on a hunch after reading your post, reboot, still ICS will not start.
    Then I went back to see what other services I may have off since that they were not needed by or "perhaps" had
    even been turned off when Rising uninstalled. I noticed Network Connections, listed as a dependency of FW/ICS was
    indeed also DISABLED! :eek: and somehow overlooked by yours truly. Set to Auto, reboot, Voila, Windows FW! :thumb:

10. Sam Hell

P.S.- When I originally began this thread it was to see if Mike could or not recommend installing OA to see if it might work.
    As I am now aware of the unlikely-hood, (under the circumstance of corrupt windows) I regret not at least adding more specific terms
    to the title, such as "FW/ICS Fails"
    But I can't change that now. I was still surprised at the responses though, and am profusely grateful to all who took interest
    in both threads. I work only part time now but have been pulling splits and OTR with minimum sleep required for marginal
    brain function. Complete with an irrational panic. I hope you can excuse my newbs mistakes and I apologize for any confusion. :oops:

I can't thank enough everyone who helped, with resources provided for future use and valuable lesson in overcoming complacency
    and gearing up for the worst case scenario at whatever cost. Anyhow, case closed.
    I wish you were all here so I could buy a round.
    Cheers, guys. :D

11. ratwing

ratwing Guest

SamHell:

ref:
    "Here is a list of the services that I had disabled while running Rising Free FW the last couple of years:
    Application Layer Gateway Service
    Security Center
    Windows FW/ICS
    Windows Mgt Instrumentation
    WMI Driver Extensions
    Workstation"

forgive me for quizzing you in a thread you sought to close, with an off topic when you are in the middle of something,but do I understand that you have the service "workstation" disabled on XP?

I am a great fan of "cutting the fat",and my service disabling Guru,the Black Viper site, does not list this in even the "bare bones" configuration.
    Do you have in problems with this service disabled?

thanks,
    rat

12. Sam Hell

No ratwing, I have never to my knowledge had a problem from disabling Workstation. I will be stepping back through to see what I can now trim without breaking Windows firewall, perhaps it needs everything I have just re-enabled to get my FW/ICS to start again, though I will doubtless be proceeding with utmost caution until I decide to go with a third party FW.

Black Vipre, IMHO is an excellent resource for explaining services, but I may have merely taken the initiative to disable workspace based on definition and deemed it not needed for my purposes. Your own mileage may vary depending on how you use your computer and what software you have installed. My guess would be to set a restore point turn it off, reboot and see if something you normally do no longer works. Regards :cool: S.H.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  13. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Thanks,Sam Hell!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.