FD-ISR and Windows 7

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by pandlouk, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Okay, I done some checking and anyone who has BootIt NG can benefit from this. I just used it and it is soooo much shorter and easier. Here is the link if anyone is interested.
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409

EDIT: I went to install FD-ISR and I still get unknown boot volume. I followed every step. I don't get it. The link where the file is in the beginning of this thread I cannot remember how to open it...ugh.

I left the dot out when changing the extension on the bootsect file that's why I had trouble with it. That's what happens when you have short term memory loss. All is well now.

Hi ruinebabine,

I missed it too, so I emailed Dave and got a speedy reply as always. Enjoy everyone!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Rilla927, thanks much to report here your finding and testing.
    And this walk through from TeraBytes folks is surely a most to archive for all the readers of the tread here! :thumb:
    I missed this article then when I was looking for it...

3. cybergary

cybergary Registered Member

Thanks to pandlouk and others for the guide to installing Windows 7 to an empty snapshot.

I just wanted to check before I do it ...

I now have two Windows 7 snaphots, one came with my pc(primary) and the other is my new snapshot. Can I delete my primary snapshot? (it's has gotten slow, too many installs and uninstalls)

I want to image my new snapshot with ShadowProtect.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Sure, go ahead and delete it. (you do know that you can also update it using as source your new snapshot, right?)

Panagiotis

5. cybergary

cybergary Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do know that.

6. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Help please. I can't get Bootsect x64.exe to work.

7. carfal

carfal Registered Member

8. pandlouk

The "Bootsect x64.exe" works fine.
    WilliamP did not rename the "Bootsect_x64.exe.txt" in "Bootsect_x64.exe"; hide extensions of known files was enabled in the folder options and because of this he could not delete the ".txt".

Panagiotis

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I installed Win7 Home Premium 32-bit upgrade on top of my old XP system, clean install of course. Now, when I go into the Win7 Disk Management I do NOT see any 100mb partition. However, I do see 8mb of unallocated space on the drive following the c:partition.

Is it safe to run the bootsect.exe?

Thank you,
    Acadia

10. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

probably yes - if C is the active disk that has windows insrtalled

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Panagiotis, near the beginning of this thread you recommend the Puran defragger. Do you keep this defragger running automatically in the background, if so, I assume it is compatible with FirstDefense?

Thanks,
    Acadia

12. pandlouk

Yes, I have set it to run when the system is idle for more than 5 minutes (1 defrag per 3 days)(without priozr).

Fully compatible, no need to exclude anything.

Panagiotis

13. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Panagiotis,

1. What is the most stable version of FD-ISR?

2. Can it be installed on Windows 7 x64, which is already installed, or it has to be installed on a fresh install of Windows 7 x64?

Again, many thanks for your kindness!

Best regards,

KOR!

14. pandlouk

Hello KOR.

1. I never had stability problems with FD-ISR. The only version that gave me problems was the version 3.31.223 (had a problem if the OS wasn't on disk 0). But If you want to use it with 7 use the versions 3.31.233 or 3.32.235.
    (minor differencies between those two https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1419243&postcount=1 )

2. Yes, it can. The only requirement is that the OS and the boot files reside on the same partition.

but pay attention that:
    a) Diskeeper does not play well with FD-ISR (in case you have diskeeper you'll have to uninstall it).
    b) FD-ISR cannot work, if installed on a partiton that has cluster size larger than the default (4k).

Panagiotis

15. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Panagiotis,

Once again thank you for your kindness to help and to teach. I installed the FD-ISR v3.32.235 on my desktop and my laptop. I have been using it for the last two days, and haven't posted earlier so that I can try to learn myself about it as much as possible, without bugging you.

Now, I have couple of questions and need your help.

1. I managed to mess my desktop, please see the following thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1832667#post1832667

2. The bootsect in the OPs, is for Windows Vista, so if I decide to uninstall FD-ISR on my Windows 7 x64, how can I go back to Windows 7 bootsect?

Many thanks and best regards,

KOR!

16. pandlouk

You are welcome. :)
    1. ok. I'll check it out and respond there.
    2. Even if you leave the vista bootsector you will not have any problem. But if you want to revert to the 7 one, you'll have to insert your 7 DVD, cmd as administrator go to the directory "boot" and run the command "bootsect.exe /nt60 sys".

more info here.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744577(WS.10).aspx

Panagiotis

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

How about an easier solution to using FDR-ISR in WIN 7x64bit. Perhaps someone in the inner circle could ask if an upgrade could be made for a price, like $25. I not being confident enough to attempt doing the procedure in this thread on my new WIN7 OS that came with my new computer, would be more than happy to pay for the upgrade, just so I could migrate my beloved FD-ISR to my new computer from my WINXP computer. :)

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

First I don't think Todd can now do an update to FDISR, as I believe he sold the property rights.

However if want to spend a few bucks, doing it with Shadowprotect is almost as easy as a backup and restore.

All you do is:
    1. image the whole drive as it comes from the factory. you will have the c: drive and the 100mb partition, and whatever other partitions they install

2. in SP manually delete the partitons.
    3. Do a restore allowing the image to fill the whole drive.
    4. SP will automaticlly fix the boot stuff, and even if doesn't it has a utility to do it.
    5. Download and run the little program located in the first post of this thread.

Install FDISR and be happy

Pete

19. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

it is pretty straight forward ..... If you are really worried try it out in Virtualbox before you do it on the real machine.

I would also recommend Shadowprotect desktop... .the recovery disk has some great automatic tools for fixing boot problems

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for those suggestions. I've been thinking about SP for a while. ;)

21. shaunwang

shaunwang Registered Member

Hi all,

Recently just purchased a new laptop Thinkpad x220, the partition seems strange as in its not in its usual 100mb reserved.

Has anybody tried FD-ISR on Thinkpad ?

22. pandlouk

The procedure should be the same.
    Most manufacturers include the windows RE in the system reserved partition (in which case is displayed as Recovery Partition and usually is about 300-400mb large).

Panagiotis

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi all, Since my last post in 2011, I bought Rollback Rx, and found that once I learned it, I like it better than FDISR. The snapshots don't take up any space in the OS, and taking a new snapshot takes about 10 seconds, and going back to a previous snapshot takes about the same. You can check the web site for more info. Just a suggestion. :)

24. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Delete all the partitions or just the additional ones other than the C: drive?

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Tony

Been a while, but yes, I believe you want to delete them all. When you image with SP you would get an image file for each partition. Then if the drive has everything deleted, you would normally restore the 100mb one first, and then the C: partition.

But in this case you just restore the c: partition, and tell SP to make it fill the whole disk.

Pete

PS Image it first and make sure you have images for all the partitions. If you don't, then don't delete anything, and reimage telling it to do the whole drive

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.