Testing software

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by vmron, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vmron

vmron Registered Member

I like testing different firewalls and antivirus programs. When installing firewalls , they ususally require a reboot which discards all changes. I want to test the software but not on my real system. Will creating a virtual disk to do that?

Thanks

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Returnil isn't suitable for testing any software that requires a re-boot and especially the likes of firewalls which install a driver.You could test some AVs such as Avira which don't require a system restart.If you're referring to creating a virtual disk within Returnil,that is just for saving documents and files.
    You're far better creating a dedicated VM using Virtualbox or VMWare where no such restrictions apply.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You can,t do it with returnii.

Use Comodo Time Machine( backup ur data n HD first though) or VirtualBox.

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

You will be able to do it in the next series ;)

Mike

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s good to know but still I think Returnil and like software may not the be best for this purpose.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  6. andyman35

Can you elaborate upon this? Do you mean that you'll be able to carry a virtualized state across numerous sessions?

7. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Yes, it is part of the new multi-state restore feature we are currently developing. It has already entered extended internal testing with a core priority to support program and configurations change evaluation across restarts.

While this would allow for more advanced testing long term, it is really being designed to allow short term evaluation of change so we will still recommend solutions like VMWare, VirtualBox, and VPC for research and/or equipment replacement in virtual network situations.

Mike

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

This is very good news Mike. :thumb: :)

Regards

9. vmron

vmron Registered Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for their answers. I will probably use the latest vmware player to create an Xp virtual machine to test software in until Returnil supports this feature.

10. andyman35

It sounds very interesting,do you have an ETA on a public beta to play with?

11. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

A software testing mode! w0w

12. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

This will be a good idea. One of my main reasons for using virtualization software is testing out new software and the not keeping changes across reboots limits what I can do with it. I do use Virtual PC for it but it would be good to have something that I can do it on the real system...Returniled of course...to see how it reacts with the real system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.