Paragon Backup and Windows Update History, NIS 2010 and Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Raza0007, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Moderators: Please do not move this thread to Paragon official forum, as I have already asked this question there since Nov 14th 2009, without any successful resolution.

Anybody using any Paragon backup product (9 series or 10 series) with default VSS as the hot processing technology can check if they are facing these problems too. When I restore my Vista 32-bit system partition, the following happen:

1- My Windows update history is gone. Windows update has no record of ever being run on my system.

2- My Norton Internet Security 2010 starts in disabled form, with an error code. The resolution is to re-download all virus definitions from the beginning.

3- My Outlook 2007 looses all record of downloaded hotmail emails. It has to re-download them all again. POP accounts are not effected.

I just wanted to know if someone else is experiencing these problems too. If you do not have NIS 2010 or Outlook 2007, at least you can check your windows update history on Vista 32-bit and see if you have lost it too.

Thanks..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I recently installed a new hard drive. I imaged the old drive with the free Paragon Backup & Restore and restored (Windows 7 x64) to the new disk. When I first booted the system with the new drive NIS 2010 did have a problem. I can't remember specifically if it needed to download signatures again, but it did sort itself out without needing to be re-installed. I have a hotmail account and use Windows Live Mail. I don't remember having a problem with the local message store or with Windows Update. Did you have to reinstall all the Vista security updates?

3. Raza0007

Victek123,

No, I did not have to re-install anything, all problems solved themselves. I had to re-download the NIS virus definitions again (~50 MB), re-download all headers from my hotmail account again and my windows updates were fine, it is just the history that was lost. So without a history list it takes windows update a very long time to determine which updates have been applied to my system and which update are now needed. So, the problems were not serious, but the fact that the problems occurred is not good.

You can check if you have lost the update history by looking at the "most recent check for updates" and "updates were installed" categories and they will show "never" after a restore with Paragon.

Also, if you use "Paragon hot processing" as the hot processing technology instead of VSS, then everything goes smooth. The above mentioned problems do not occur.

So, you did encounter a problem with NIS2010 with Paragon! This is not good. It means Paragon does not properly interface with VSS.

Anyone else having above mentioned problems with Paragon?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have had the windows update history disapear on my desktop system running windows 7 Home premium but i use image for windows for imaging and f-secure for security so the windows update history resetting seems to be a problem with 7 and not third party programs.

5. Raza0007

I can not speak for image for windows and f-secure, but my windows updates history does not disappear if I use Paragon with "Paragon hot processing" instead of VSS, or if I use ShadowProtect with VSS. It only happens with Paragon and VSS combination. It is not OS related. It appears to be related to how Paragon interacts with VSS. Since a disk imaging program is supposed to restore your disk exactly as it was when the image is taken, these problems with paragon and VSS are not good.

I initially thought it was only my system, but if others are also being affected with similar situation, then Paragon needs to be informed. Although my experience with their official support forum is that they are least interested in possible bugs in their products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.