Kaspersky Antivirus and Internet Security 2011 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

It could take some time before beta starts. please be patient

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

that sounds interesting...............haven't beta-tested in years...........i think i am game for this one.........

4. icr

icr Registered Member

Hmmm the first BETA of 2010(actually avast and avira were but this is first one to start in 2010)

I will keep checking their forum gonna be fun testing Kaspersky for the first time:D

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm not joining any of their beta tests ever again. I used to work on KAV 2009 since they showcased its prototype and in the end they haven't even said thank you. I got no reward for it either while some who reported few things here and there got free license for it later on. It was totally dissapointing and lame.

6. icr

icr Registered Member

I think Sjoeii and some other members will enlighten you something about this:)

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Take it you're only interested in testing a product if there is something in it for you?If I join any test it is because I am intrested in its developement not for reward!

8. icr

icr Registered Member

Well I just second your opinion in my case:D
    Actually I am interested in both the dev part and the reward part:shifty:

9. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

why won't you like to earn reward? anyhow beta-testing is a thankless job......

10. Technic

Technic Registered Member

No worries! You have avast! there! :argh:

11. icr

icr Registered Member

It is but I do like to test I have tested till now avast, avira:)

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry, but thats just load of bollocks. I'm not expecting a month salary of a lead programmer or unlimited number of licenses of Internet Security suite.
    It's about small things of appreciation. ALWIL guys sent me a pack of small gifts directly from Czech few years ago as a thanks for helping them out on forums on daily basis and testing their software and reporting bugs and malware. And it was nothing big really, a cool pen with avast! name on it, a digital clock, notebook security lock and a T-shirt with avast! name on it. It's not much, but when you think of it, it gives a warm and fuzzy feeling when people in that company actually care about individuals and show that in any way they can.

So, they could have given me a license, they could have given me a Gold beta tester tag on their forums or at least say plain thank you.
    And what have they done when i just mentioned this? They made bunch of lame excuses. Can you imagine that? They could say, sorry we can't give you a license at this point but thanks for the help, we'll at least give you a special tag on forums. Did that happen? Nope. And that has to cost like a fortune right? It's about small things, but some just don't get it...

13. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Very true, I have only tested a few products but it very true that small things really make you feel appreciated. I like when they put you down as a beta tester on the forums or offer you a gift. Even just getting a thanks for your suggestion is nice. I never ask for unlimited license keys but just one to thank you for your support is always nice.

I have never beta tested for Kaspersky so I don't know how they do their beta testing.

14. steve1955

well sounds like you only do it for what you can get,even if as you say they are only small things,do you bank at the bank that gives you most gifts as well,Barclays used to give loads of stuff away but other things mattered to me more like their involvement in south africa pre Mandela,what matters to me if I beta test is the product not some tiny little thing to make me feel good!

15. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Not so long ago, I had my own software company and whenever we had a beta, we had people sign up, they were selected and everyone who participated (that is, answered the surveys that were sent out) got a free license for the product. I personally think that is fair and is easy to hand out at no cost for the developer.

16. steve1955

I don't think its wrong for a company to reward beta-testers but just because a company doesn't wouldn't stop me testing if it was a product type I had an interest in,besides aside from some hassle due to bad builds it can be very interesting to see how a product actually develops,and besides there is proper beta testing where you are in contact with the vendor giving details of problems with builds and improvements and there is beta testing:-where you just install new builds to see what they are like and give very little or no feedback

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Steve, it looks like you completely skipped the "small things" part...
    What's the fun of doing it if you cannot harvest the fruits of your hard work? I never complained about it with avast! because they already offer us great free AV. They handed us 2 year license instead. We never asked for it, they did that themself. But i can always harvest the results of that hard work in free version (even if in limited way). With Kaspersky, you cannot a all. Trial for 30 days means nothing... It's not even fun to do the beta testing.

18. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

For me it's worth doing if it means having a better product which works as it should on my machine, even if I have to buy a license for it.
    It's upto you to decide whether you want to test it or not, nobody is forcing you. I personally know that there were a few users/testers who waited years to become GBT, and in the end they did because they didn't give up, giving a constant flow of bugreports over the years (even if it's a minor contribution).

19. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Don't be in a big hurry to see this. That forum section was changed from 2010 to 2011 a few days ago and last year when it went to 2010 it was probably weeks before anything was posted. Though I am also waiting impatiently as well...;)

20. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

I understand it is quite frustrating when you feel like you have been overlooked- and yes sometimes these things happen- however, you cannot dictate to them that you should be made a tester or you should get a license. At the end of the day it is completely at their discretion who gets a forum tag or a free license etc, much as it is completely your discretion whether or not you decide to participate in testing.

In actual fact, Kaspersky is a company that really does care about it's community of testers and forum users....a number of people find themselves employed by Kaspersky because of the good work they have done on the forum. I am not one of them but four years of hard slog on the forum and numerous beta cycles later I can safely say that they will look after you if you put the effort in (think trips abroad and really nice tech gear)

We have put the finishing touches to the 2011 testing FAQ and there are a few builds floating around internally. Expect to see a public build very soon.

21. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Ideally, a company should reward any beta tester that contribute some valid points, ideas or find bugs with their product. It is a very smart way of doing business for the company. Everyone is happy at the end, even the users that purchase the product with no input at all. Like RejZoR said, he's not looking for a months salary. I think a 1 year subscription should suffice.

Just my .02 cents,
    Ice

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i agree 100% even a nice email from them saying thank you for all the help etc... just to know you were involved and they appreciated it. while i also agree most companies i beta test for usually offer me at least a lic at the end and sometimes i dont even use it. but the offer is there. really its not much for them to offer even a 1pc 1year lic to beta testers.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

IceCube, i'd understand pretty much anything, but when they started making lame excuses even for beta tester tag on forums (that costs zero, null, nada), i had enough.

Anyway, back to the topic, is there any new stuff in this version that will seriously raise the security bar or just a small update of 2010 version?

24. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Any bets on whether KIS2011 will copy Norton Insight ?

25. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

No, it probably won't. I personally don't find it that useful anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.