Zemana Antilogger doesn't trust itself!?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SafetyFirst, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I've been using Zemana Antilogger for quite some time with total satisfaction.

However, two days ago I installed SpyShelter just to test it. From the very beginning, SpyShelter was deaf on my system, it wouldn't open when I doubleclick it's desktop icon or when I started it from the start menu. Task manager showed its process running.

During these two days while SpyShelter was on my system, I noticed that Zemana Antilogger had an initialization error on startup. Still I was able to update it normally. This afternoon, suddenly, in the middle of surfing, I had a BSOD. I decided to uninstall SpyShelter holding it responsible for the mess. Since I was unable to boot Windows normally I went to the Safe Mode and uninstalled SpyShelter from there.

After rebooting, everything looked fine and Zemana Antilogger didn't show the initialization error. Just to make sure everything is OK, I called an update for Antilogger (although I knew it was already up to date).

To my surprise, I got this pop up window from Antilogger (first time seen):

Attached Files:

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

not sure, running Antilogger and ive never had that. :doubt:

3. SafetyFirst

Strange, isn't it? :blink:

Zemana AntiLogger telling me not to allow Zemana AntiLogger unless I am sure it is a legitimate application? o_O

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Could Zemana block itself if you told it to? If it DID block itself, & thus became inactive, could it still maintain the block of itself? And... what exactly IS the sound of one hand clapping?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I'm "guessing" it's legit, and Zemana needs to do that in order to work the way it does ? I'm sure i've had a few of those alerts.

After i reboot i get a similar prompt to allow Z access to port 127. etc. I don't tick the Create Rule box in these cases, just allow.

Sometimes Z asks to connect out, even though i have set the options NOT to autoupdate etc ?

Havn't noticed anything dodgy running or happening, so far anyway :D

Might be nice if someone from Zemana could clarify :thumb:

6. SafetyFirst

Didn't dare to try :p

If you wrestle with that zen koan, one simple answer is at the bottom of this page. :D

7. firzen771

well the alert seems to show only the User Interface, so i think the block wuld still work if u blocked the interface, just wont be able to open the program and change options etc.

what are u talking about "connect out"? Zemana doesnt have a firewall of any sort... it doesnt monitor any ports, so i have no clu wat ur talking about.

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@firzen771

Yes i can see that :D

ALL possible applications that are capable of internet access have been set to prompt or block by me in Zonealarm before connecting out. Anything else or new that may try to connect out will also prompt me first. That's a much better way than just allowing everything out.

You can see in my screenie wat i'm talking about

zaz.gif

ALL those items have at some time or another, either tried to go out, or have been added manually by me so they don't.

Zemana is one that has tried, as i said earlier.

Hope you have more of a clu now :p

9. firzen771

i see wat u mean now, got confused with ur wording. but id assume that connection is Zemana trying to look for updates so i dont see it as a prob and it culd also be connecting wen ur disable auto update to check the license perhaps, or something along those lines. not entirely sure, but i dont see anything wrong wen my security software connects out, i trust it enuff afterall my system is in its hands anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.