Sandboxie and Chrome

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by IceCube1010, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi

Is it overkill to use SBIE on Google Chrome in Win7 64? Doesn't Chrome have some kind of sandboxing of it's own?

thanks
    Ice

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Chrome has its own sandboxing but don't see a disadvantage in running it under Sandboxie

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think Chrome sandbox is more like for stability :D

4. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I can't explain the detail, but I have read a statement by Ilya (DefenseWall) that the Chrome sandbox is not secure due to Windows vulnerabilities. I don't know if these vulnerabilities exist in Windows 7 however.

5. IceCube1010

thanks for the replies. SBIE and Chrome seem to run nicely together along with Avast 5.

Ice

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think Shadow Defender would be a good choice to run with Chrome rather than SBie. Just because SD works so simply and thorough. :)

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Here is a link to a detailed explanation of how the sandbox is implemented in Chrome:

http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/new-approach-to-browser-security-google.html

Based on this blog it doesn't seem like Chrome achieves the same degree of isolation from the rest of the system that Sandboxie does. But if you don't use Sandboxie and run with an admin account you get a lot of extra protection with Chrome.

8. fax

fax Registered Member

As far as I know current Chrome does not cover web plugins. So, still opening up to major risks. Better to have other sandboxing ;)

9. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Where does Chrome have its own sandbox? I can't see any information or options on this and I certainly haven't noticed it all the time that I've been running it. All I see is some warnings when downloading files or visiting dangerous websites, etc. :doubt:

10. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Generally when browsing, not like sandboxie, but some things web-browsers automatically do are sandboxed (HTML rendering and JavaScript execution), so it wont save your ass when you go and download malware, wont protect from pdf exploits, but will reduce exploits and script-based trojan.

See the link in Victek123's post.

11. IceCube1010

thank you for the link. Sandboxie works with Chrome. This combo seems good with Avast 5.

thanks
    Ice

12. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I think Chrome's sandbox relates to Chrome's engine and each tab running in their own memory space.

So if one tab/page crashes/locks up, the engine and other tabs/pages don't crash/lockup.

Sandboxie is way more secure.

Crom2.JPG

Chrome.JPG

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  13. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Actually Chrome sandbox is much more advanced than what described above.

Every browser's tab is a separate process that runs using a very restricted token. If a new web exploit against Chrome is executed and executable code is run, it inherits process token. But it will be the restricted token, which wouldn't allow the malicious code going too far.

Moreover, every separate process is run under a job object. This adds yet more security limitations to the process.

Still all browser tab processes are run in a dedicated desktop. This is done to prevent shatter attacks and other similar kind of attacks.

(There are still some other interesting things in Chrome sandbox)

Chrome sandbox's structure is much more robust and effective than what it looks like.

Though, we must be sure that the system is not compromised, otherwise all Windows security mechanisms could be useless

As explained:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.