New Windows Explorer Replacement

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by whitedragon551, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Windows Double Explorer

http://wde.codeplex.com/

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Not bad. I have been trying every one I can find. It seems whether you go free or pay, either they have too many features or not enough features, and nothing yet that fills my bill. XP Explorer was the best one IMO.

I am using Qdir. It took some time to set it up, but for a free app it can out-perform win7 explorer. It does not bake cookies nor milk the cow like Directory Opus does, but I don't use all that anyway.

Sul.

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. korben

korben Registered Member

Q-Dir is almost perfect.

5. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  7. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Besides xyplorer2,is there any other alternative that provides the feature "Windows Explorer integration"? I mean if I click "My documents" on Start menu, it can automatically show up instead of Windows Explorer?

8. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I know Directory Opus does that.

9. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Directory Opus is an alternative and my personal favorite.

10. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Frankly, doubled junk really doesn't improve the experience. :rolleyes: Explorer is unusable and so is anything based on it.

11. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Yea but DO is pricey, I used to use Total Commander on XP machine, now on Windows 7 I'm happy with explorer.exe so far.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks for this explorer substitute, Saraceno. I tried it. I like it! Light. Easy to understand. Powerful. It's a fixture on my computer as of now.

13. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

My sentiments as well. I trialed a bunch of them. I settled on (and am happy with) xplorer2.

14. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I like Q-Dir. But a couple others that have been mentioned are great, too. I think it's one of those, "Whatever trips your trigger," kind of things. We all visualize and see (in a literal way) things in a different way. Some brains are wired to love text and columns, some for graphics and icon-based systems; some like a lot of information on the screen all at one time, others want minimal information and be able to go to tabs (or whatever) for the other information. It really is just such an individual thing based a lot on what I just wrote.

15. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Thanks for the info. It's a pity it's not freeware though.

16. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I use Xplorer^2 Lite on x86. However, on x64 there is no x64 version of Xplorer^2 Lite. My search for x64 file explorers that have at least two panes led to only two programs, Double Commander and Q-Dir. Of the two, I chose Q-Dir and like it a lot so far, except that I wish that Q-Dir could auto-refresh pane contents after file operations.

17. pinso

pinso Registered Member

i too would like to say that again Q-Dir is almost perfect. I h' been using Xplorer2 and looks like i will switch to Q-Dir for good. Its super light, with 3/4 window pane, saves the last session.
    What can one want,,,,ok now i will stop searching for the perfect Xplorer. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.