be careful with avast 5 turning off

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

okay this is the third time on this pc and had it happen on another one also ALL SHIELDS turned off after coming back from sleep. program totally disabled... im going to post also on the forums over at avast but please watch your program

2. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

This has not happened at all on my wife's computer running version 5. And her computer is constantly going into and coming out of sleep.

3. zfactor

seems im not the only one looking at their forums.

4. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I'm sure you're not imagining things, but no problems here with avast! and Sleep either.

5. zfactor

other thing bothering me is very little response from alwil on the forums lately it seems over there.

honestly i think for now its back to nis

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The shields were switching off on my parent's pc with only avast 5 running. The pc was always running though, and shields were turning off every second day or so.

7. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

shields were switched OFF when i installed Avast 5.
    services not running:doubt:

8. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Rock solid and very light here...

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

This is an excellent heads up... and exactly why I love coming to Wilders. When one member shares his or her experiences and gives others the benefit of knowing what has happened to them, how valuable is that?

As you can see from my sig, I am not rushing into avast 5 until I see solid evidence of fewer problems from the users. I think there are still a few things they need to get straightened out.

Thanks for sharing about the shields, zfactor.

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I had to activate shields with my install about 2 weeks ago. Since then no problems here. Hopefully it continues.

11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Two other systems I installed it on, have no problems. But I had to uninstall 5 on one system, as reinstalling saw the same thing happen. Shields kept switching off, until the GUI was opened, and shields had to be turned on. OS was XP.

12. sded

sded Registered Member

I haven't had any problems with two Vista machines, but sure is something Alwil needs to take a hard look at quickly.

13. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

The only issue I have found is when I turn a shield on and off for more than 3 or 4 times, sometimes the shield does not come back up. Other than that, it has been a solid performer.

Ice

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I had it happen on a bootup. A red Icon appeared and when I right clicked it a page of red lettering said there was no service in so many words. I clicked a few shields and they were down. Re-booting didn't fix it, so I booted to my 2nd FD-ISR snapshot and haven't had a re-occurrance.

15. risl

risl Registered Member

If you are using a free antivirus, that might be the case. If you have a paid version, you should create a support ticket

16. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I have it on three machines here including a vintage laptop and not even once did Avast shut off in any one of them. I did clean install of Avast on all of them however, no updates. One PC is XPx64, one Windows7x64 and one regular XP.

17. zfactor

paid internet security 5 here already did.

18. zfactor

im not saying it will happen to everyone but it did to me on 2 out of 9 machines. as well as others reporting this on avast forums. and this was a CLEAN FRESH WIN 7 with NO previous av installed ever.

sorry for the caps but the pm's and messages at avast all say the same. and i repeat this over and over it was a clean fresh install simply with win updates and avast no other av at all ever

19. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

It could be a particular app, probably security related is interfering with Avast. Since its only happening on certain machines and not the norm, this has to be considered.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No issues here, though I went to double check in task manager as my PC goes to sleep after a few minutes of being away.

21. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I recently tried avast 5 professional on my dual-boot XP, as I use NIS 2010 on my primary Windows 7 OS.

I must say that I'm very impressed with the user experience and functionality of the program(however, we still don't know about its detection and false positives performance).

I haven't had any issues at all.

Now, let's wait for the new comparative result due out soon in March!

22. iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET Registered Member

It happened to me also when I was running 5.0 on a laptop recently with Win 7 32-bit Ultimate. The software discovered an update was available, turned off all protection and then left a prompt (screen was blackened after 20 minutes of not using the computer) waiting for me to do the program update.

23. SAW

SAW Registered Member

It's happened to me once on boot up and on my other machine once on a self induced reboot from a power interrupt. It just seemed that avast started but all shields were off for some reason.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have it on 2 machines here, laptop and desktop, both Win 7. So far no issues at all, nothing odd happening. Clean install of both on a new OS install, no other security apps running.

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

So what did you do to re-activate them. I tried re-booting but it didn't work, so I re-booted to another snapshot. That did it for me, but I still don't know how to Fix the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.