Making drive backup to USB drive?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Anakunda, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakunda

Anakunda Registered Member

Hi!
    Wanted to ask if this is supported to backup my system drive image to extarnal HDD connected via USB.
    The information I would like to know is if the backup can be bootabkle (same way as backing up to DVDRW drives). Something called bootable capsule but on extarnal drive, will the USB drive be self-bootable?
    If so, will be all data on my extarnal drive deleted always I perform system backup?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

I don't believe you can make an external hard drive bootable, not with Paragon. What you would have to do is have an additional usb flash drive or CD/DVD with the bootable media, and the external for storing the images.

Storing your backup files on the external does not require any reformatting. If you do a disk copy (clone) then that would require to delete the existing partition.

3. Anakunda

I don't know if there's such a difference between USB flash and USB-HDD. IMO they are handled the same. Just if my PC has USB legacy support.
    There's something like making backup bootable capsule.
    I thought this is what can be placed to my USB HDD and make it bootable to Paragon Backup & Recovery UI, the same as if booting from backup rescue CD?

4. Anakunda

Greetings, today I bought USB HDD. I reserved a primary NTFS partition on it.
    Does Paragon provide a bootable system recovery solution for this kind of media (most likely based on System Backup and Restore platform).
    I have Paragon rescue volume burn on CD drive. Is there something similar for extarnal HDD?
    The desired model is that I will 1be able to boot to B&R environment which will operate with volume backups stored on the same partition.
    If Paragon is not capable of this, is there alternate software suite supporting my drive?

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

As far as I know, Windows cannot be booted from a USB external drive. This is not a Paragon restriction.
    Using the Recovery Media Builder, it is posssible to create a bootable USB Flash drive with the Paragon software.
    I have the B&R 10 WinPE "disk" in a USB Flash drive, and I normally boot from it to create or restore images.

6. Anakunda

Recovery Media Builder is a part of existing Paragon product, or is that a standalone application? (if so, link please)

7. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

The recovery media builder is part of the software, and should be located under tools.

8. Anakunda

Thanks, does Recovery Media Builder destroy all existing flash drive content?

9. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Yes, it will remove the contents of any flash drive that you specify for creating recovery media.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.