DiamondCS Process Guard Message Protection (PGMsgProt)

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by blackimp, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackimp

blackimp Registered Member

Hello everyone, just want to say that I think this is one great program and money well spent. Still figuring it out and learning the ins and outs but has not totally stumped me until now. I did a search for some help first off and referenced this thread http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25983
    with regards to PGMsgProt.exe. The changelog for 2.0 states "-Renamed PG_MSGprot.exe service to DCSUserprot.exe and made several internal changes for the upcoming TDS-4 based products", however, the PGMsgProt.exe service is in the services mmc list. I also tried the rename a program to pg_msgprot.exe, i.e. flashget and was able to run flashget as renamed. The pg_msgprot.exe isn't in the protected list of PG. My question is do I have to delete the pg_msgprot.exe from services and if so, how do I go about doing this? The service is set to Automatic and if i try to start it I get this error in the Event Viewer
    Event Type:   Error
    Event Source:   Service Control Manager
    Event Category:   None
    Event ID:   7000
    Date:      4/1/2004
    Time:      8:19:44 AM
    User:      N/A
    Computer:   HILLCREST
    Description:
    The DiamondCS Process Guard Message Protection service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

So if the file isn't found, I also checked Device Manager->hidden devices->non-plug and play drivers and only the procguard.sys is found, why is it in the services module? Any assistance would be graetly appreciated and again, best money i have spent on a program, okay besides Media Jukebox/Media Center 8, 9 & 10 ;)

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I'm surprised that pg-msgprot still shows in services?
    To delete it in sevices you will have to visit the registry using Start - run - and typing regedit.
    Search for pg_msgprot and delete any instances found - This should kill the services entry. Only do this if you are confident working in the registry!

AS pg_msgprot.exe it is not used anymore by Process Guard V2 And if Task manager shows it running then Terminate then delete it, if you cannot delete it in normal mode then switch to safe mode and delete it there. :)

HTH Pilli

3. blackimp

blackimp Registered Member

Thank you very much Pilli. I followed your instructions and pg_msgprot.exe has been deleted. I think because I uninstalled v1.3 THEN read the upgrading older version thread, I created my problem ;). Learned from that. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.