Should I stick with MSE?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iravgupta, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Please take a look at the attachment. I think the picture pretty much says it all. And, this is a fully patched 32-bit Windows 7 based system.

And please people, this is not a Hitman Pro vs MSE thread, nor am I trying to find a justification for getting rid of MSE, so please keep your emotions under control.

Attached Files:

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Those are obviously some trojans. Delete them.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am lost. If those are real, Why the heck would you not stay with MSE. I must be missing something.

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

trjam,

look at the paths.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

oh I see. Well, you could come on over to the real Cloud side.;)

6. iravgupta

Thanks for your valuable input, but I am not looking for disinfection advice here.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

LOL. My mistake. I apologize. Please continue.

8. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Well you have two options, you can submit those files to Microsoft to help improve their detection rates, or B switch av's if you don't feel safe. I won't make suggestion on what AV to switch to due to the face A vs. B is not allowed

9. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Its upto you if you should stick with MSE or not. Its your computer, not ours. You're the one who uses your computer, not us.

Its been said many times, no AV is 100% effective, no AV will block all malware, so there is always a possibility of something getting through.
    MSE may block something another AV may miss in the future.

Make the decision. Try a few different ones out and use the one you like the most. If it's MSE, so be it. It is still a good product.

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

If you like mse then stick with it.Im using avast at present which didnt detect 3 trojans that were pretending to be UPS invoices.However when I uploaded the files to jottis and vtotal,hardly any of the others did either.In fact it seemed to be only Dr web and nod 32 that detected them.Of course within a day or two kaspersky ,avast and others followed with detections.Because of this i thought id revisit a trial of Dr web.Its funny ,many avs tests seem to give Drweb a low score and yet it always seem to detect malware that ive personally been sent or picked up ,before others,Had it for a day or two,but just didnt feel happy with it (seemed to slow things down...browsing and pc) ,and so im back with avast.Even though it failed detections i feel comfortable with it ,and i dont have any slowdowns.Mse is as good as any ,and better than most,but at he end of the day its the one that makes you feel comfortable with that i guess youll end up choosing.
    ellison

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I can only repeat what other people are saying, you can either: 1. Change AV and probably encounter the same issue in future with another AV or 2. Use the simple submission tool https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Submission/Submit.aspx

To be honest with you, I'd be worrying a lot more about how the heck they got onto your system in the first place. The issue needs to be fixed or it will happen again.

12. iravgupta

Guys, thanks for your suggestions. I have decided to stick with MSE, since I cannot find any other AV that I can safely install on my parent's PC without expecting a barrage of calls about pop-ups and notifications. Moreover, one aspect of MSE, that I like best and which is in a way dissatisfying to geeks that populate the wilders forum is that it does NOT give you options to configure which archive types to scan, which file types to scan etc. There is something reassuring about the fact that MSE is taking care of all that for me and I need not worry that 'should I keep heuristics at high, medium or low?' etc. Granted, you can define exclusions, but that is a convenience, not something you are expected to care about. But, I have decided to go ahead and buy a license of Hitman Pro (Love this software). That coupled with MSE should cover a lot of base (fingers crossed). (PS: Neither MBAM, SAS or a-squared were able to cure the infection; I am implying nothing from this, just informing).

13. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

You should trial a prevention app to supplement MSE. I love the Hitman Pro product but having only blacklist scanners (reail-time or on demand) seems to leave a hole in your pc's security. I would suggest AppGuard or Defensewall to compliment MSE as they are very simple to use and don't require much (if any) interaction. I use MSE for my parents too.

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

DefenseWall still incompatible with MSE; Ilya has informed them but as yet no progress on Microsoft's part to a solution.

15. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Looks false positives for me. Keep MSE. :D

EDIT: Or not.

16. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

An image/drive back up would do a world of good....

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

is in contradiction with the question in your first post.

What's really the question ? The HitmanPro detections appear to be false positives.

I personally don't trust Microsoft, which is why I don't run MSE.

About what you said in #12: there are other AVs that won't bother you with a barrage of pop-ups and notifications or many dangerous false positives.
    As an example, KIS 2010 and NIS 2010 probably match those criteria.

18. iravgupta

There is no question as such. Just wanted to know the opinion of all you fellow people regarding the next course of action.
    Those detections were not false positives, MBAM tried disinfecting it too but failed. Ditto for SAS and A-Squared.
    You dont trust MS in what capacity? Just regarding the AV landscape or overall?
    Yes may be KIS and NIS are good choices, but as I explained, I dont like the fact that they leave some room for detection improvement in their default settings, I mean what good is that if you already know you can detect better, but know if you do that it will come with a performance penalty. With MSE, the performance and detection are out in the open. There are no trade-offs, take it or leave it.

19. iravgupta

Nah, not false positives. They were actively preventing me from shutting down my system, opening web pages and causing massive system slow-down.

20. iravgupta

Which drive image backup do you suggest? The one with just the OS+Drivers+Patches, OS+Drivers+Patches+Apps(except AV)or a daily incremental one? In case of a daily incremental one I will have to buy an external hard drive. The purchase is not an issue, explaining my parents how it works might be.

21. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

That is not true. Panda Cloud automatically handles all Malware and only gives a pop-up saying Malware Neutralized.

22. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

well there are plenty....shadow protect/macrium reflect/paragon....check this thread/poll...https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=251353&highlight=backup

win 7 has a pretty good backup feature too depending on the version you are running...ultimate/pro and i think home premium has it

23. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

This sounds somewhat questionable but, if Mom and Dad only surf the web with no downloads, just throw on Sandboxie and force the browsers into the sandbox. I did this with my wife's laptop and it does not give her any problems and it takes care of my concerns.

I demonstrated how to delete the sandbox every couple of weeks and it all has gone swimmingly so far.

24. iravgupta

I agree. But the place where my parents live just has a simple dial-up connection that is usage based. This is one of the reasons I am more concerned, otherwise I would have taken care of eveything using something like TeamViewer.

25. iravgupta

Was not asking for product recommendations, but thanks for the link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.