BIG Problem after convert file system

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by deltamaster, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltamaster

deltamaster Registered Member

Hello,

I tried to convert one of my 2 partitions in my external HD from FAT32 to NTFS.

It started fine, i just left it converting and gone out and when I'm back the program was closed, dont know why. I just started it over and got an error and the program started the converting process from where he stopped before.

After 5min, I got an error from the program, couldn't retry, always the same error, thought it was because of the USB cable, but reconnected it several times and NOTHING. The only way out was close the program and start it again.

Here starts the problem, the program didn't continue the convert process and literally ****ed(didn't find any better term) with the files. Can't even continue a new convert process because always got error. It was recommended to run chkdsk, so I did it, and the thing got worse. chkdsk asked to convert a lot of folders to files because it was presenting errors, did that and he created a found.000 folder with .chk files that was all corrupted too.

If I run file system integrity i get the error:
    "file system has allocation errors due to cross-linked files. Run OS built-in tools for checking and correcting this kind of error"

What can I do?, can i do something to recover some of the files? It was almost 300gb of information, almost killing myself for don't have a backup :( :mad: :gack:

PS.: I was using Paragon partition manager 9

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello,

There's a handful of softwares out there that can retrieve your lost data. To start, here are some of the most effective ones: http://data-recovery-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I've had good experience with a couple, when my 1 TB hard drive got wiped out after plugging into a Mac. Took 8 hours to scan, but eventually, managed to save all 100GB of data. You won't be able to rebuild your existing partition to recovery the data, but instead export the data.

3. deltamaster

deltamaster Registered Member

Hello Tommy,

Thanks for your reply, I tried with Data recovery Wizard, it looks like a good soft, but strange: when the scan finished he showed 457gb to recover(I only have 250gb of data in the partition) :S
    Didn't recovered anything yet, was just scanning.

Have you already used "Nucleus Kernel for FAT and NTFS"?
    Someone recommended me it, what do you think?

I'm afraid too because of the chkdsk, i think that the files in .chk can't be recovered anymore, don't know if it's possible.

Thanks again, cya...

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

I have not tried Nucleus Kernel for FAT and NTFS. Regarding your scan showing 457 GB of data, most of that must be old deleted data. When you complete the scan, you should see the familiar directories and choose what to restore.

5. ragamuffin

ragamuffin Registered Member

I searched the knowledge base for information about power failure, and found that "Partition Manager is able to resume the execution of the operations which change a partition (Move, Resize, Convert) after a sudden power off, reboot or power interruption.".

Unfortunately, I dont know how to do it.
    Here is the link, and you can read it.
    http://kb.paragon-software.com/paragon/include/templ/object.jsp?catId=2124&objId=1344&foLang=en

I have the similar problem as you do. During the operation of converting FAT32 TO NFTS, my power broke and I couldn't have any access to my data.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

In Paragon main window, Tools>Settings>General Options

PAR-POWER-2010-02-21_073128 (Small).jpg

Hope it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.