Backup Software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by whitedragon551, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sded

sded Registered Member

Karen76,
    Definite improvement over Vista. What about the ability to mount and browse the image to recover data? I use this a lot more than doing restores.

2. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

I'm no authority on the subject, but I don't think that's possible with a Windows 7 system image backup. When you initially start the Windows 7 backup utility, the default settings are to create a full system image and backup of all data files and to store these on an external hard drive if one is detected. Under "Restore," I see a button to "Restore all users' files." I don't know if you can browse and restore individual files or not.

Windows 7 stores these backups in two folders: WindowsImageBackup (which contains the system image) and a folder with the PC's name (which contains the data backups). Opening the latter gives you three choices: "Restore my files from this backup," "Restore files for all users of this computer," and "Manage space used by this backup." I've only restored system backup images—with and without using the repair disc—and it worked perfectly every time. Of course, being a Microsoft product, the Windows 7 backup utility can't possibly be as reliable as third-party imaging software, even those with support forums inundated with posts from angry, dissatisfied users. :rolleyes:

I had Windows 7 create these full system and data backups on an external drive and scheduled new backups to be created once a week. I click "create a system image" to manually create a full system image backup which I keep stored on my second internal hard drive. I prefer to keep the backup images I'm most likely to need on an internal drive since image creations/restorations are so much faster than on an external drive connected by USB or firewire cable. It takes Windows 7 twice as long to create backup images as it does True Image and Paragon Drive Backup.

As far as data backups, I recommend GFI Backup which is free and has been completely reliable for me. I use it to make scheduled daily backups of all my data files and store them on internal and external drives, adding new items to existing backups and automatically deleting items no longer present on my PC. I have True Image and Windows 7 make scheduled weekly data backups but I've never used them; they're just there in the extremely unlikely event a problem occurs with GFI Backup.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Teaching without criticizing is an acquired skill.

I don't doubt this at all. I know others who have MR not work out on thier machines. On the other hand, I use the free version, have used them on internal, external, usb, sata, ata, flash, dvd and network shares. I have yet to have it fail on either xp,vista or now 7, but all 32bit.

This is a rather puzzling outlook for me. Have you never had an update/patch that botched your system? Have you never used some 'tool' that M$ put into the OS that just plain sucked? I sure have. So no, I have not tried the backup feature in 7, nor will I if I don't have to. I have suffered too many BSODs or otherwise ill effects to truly trust M$ features like this. Not saying it does not work, just that I prefer not to go there.

As far as not trusting M$ but still using thier OS, lol, I would not be using thier OS if there was a true replacement. I mean, one that is supported by a very large portion of hardware and software. One that is stable and secure, does not force me to upgrade if not desired, does not cost so much. One that plays all the games, uses all the neat-o features of the day. Sadly, there is but one option, and that is M$. The *nix guys are hardcore, and I am too, but I just don't have the need for *nix, as most of the people I help or the money I might make is married to the Windows OS. So I decided some years ago to just accept it, and learn more about it so that I can fix the things that need fixing. Simple really.

Yep, I consider imaging essential as well. But I also want a scenario where I can use PE of my choise, home-brewed my way. The same for my OS. I would NEVER, and I cannot state strongly enough, NEVER use a default install ESPECIALLY from a vendor like Dell or HP etc. There is nothing wrong with them for most people, I just like to have it all done 'custom' like and get very annoyed at some of the stupid things those vendor installs do.

I personally thing it should be criminal some of the things they put on new machines that actually decrease performance. But the same can be said of M$ default install. There are services running that really don't need to be running. But, for the sake of the novice, who needs those running I suppose, the advanced users have to tweak it if they want it done thier way. I would like nothing more than to see M$ give you an option on install that asks "Are you an Advanced User? Shall I only install the basics and let you decide what else you might need?". This way I would not have to go about the first few weeks of a new OS figuring out how to make it behave.

But I digress, that is another topic all-together lol.

Sul.

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Well until I can get this MS service figured out I wont be trialing any imaging software. Every imaging software that I have tried so far has an issue with the volume shadow copy service.

Ive checked the service and all dependencies are enabled as well as dependencies for those dependencies. But without fail they all report the VSS isnt function yet in the task manager and according to the services it is functioning fine.

Anyone have any ideas so I can get backing things up?

5. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

I have two suggestions:

1. Since VSS isn't functioning with the third-party imaging software you've tried, I suggest you attempt to create a system backup image using Windows 7's backup utility. If that's not successful, perhaps you'll get an error report with some clue what may be wrong with your VSS. If the system backup is successful then at least you'll have a method of creating backups until you find a non-MS program you're happy with.

2. While I haven't used Paragon Backup and Recovery v10 Free, the three versions of Paragon I'm familiar with give users the option of switching from the default of VSS to Paragon Hot Processing. In Paragon Drive Backup 2010 SE, you go into Tools > Settings > Hot processing options then switch from VSS to Paragon Hot Processing. If this is possible with Paragon B&R v10, you might give that a try.

6. whitedragon551

Ive tried number 2 to no avail. I guess I give the first option a go.

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

If VSS isn't operational with both MS Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy services auto set, I'd be amazed to find someone able to post a fix. I've looked, there aren't any. The only thing I've seen that looked like it might have some potential was this - which I'm unfamiliar with. No, not quite the Win7 Dial-a-fix.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  8. whitedragon551

I didt see any fix there for it browsing through the screen shots. However I assume that Windows Backup would also uses VSS. So if it works its got to be an incompatibility with the software Im using not the services required for the software.

I managed to find this in the event viewer.

Im doing a sfc /scannow to see if it finds anything. After that Ill try re-registering .dll files.

The Windows backup finished.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  9. GlobalForce

10. whitedragon551

I got the VSS issue taken care of. This time I was watching in Event Viewer for new issues at the same time an image was being created. Heres the new message:

I ran Seatools Long Generic test and it came back that the HD was fine not a single issue. From what Im reading its a sign of drive failure. I got the stupid thing less than a week ago brand new.

11. GlobalForce

Sorry - the VSS fix?

12. whitedragon551

This one:

Thats not popping up anymore. I ran a long test on the drive with Sea Tools and it passes just fine.

13. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You didn't specify that the software had to meet your standards for a GUI. CMS products is a leader in the drive security field, providing products with full disk encryption. Last months (or 2 months ago) their BounceBack product got a solid review by PCWorld Magazine. And in my experience with CMS, through their FDE products, a good company.

If you're having issues with VSS, you're system is probably having other issues, check event viewer for problems with WMI and COM+, and maybe run the WMI diagnostic utility. Most backup products now piggyback on VSS, they don't do it directly. If VSS is having issues, it's within Windows, not the product.

14. GlobalForce

Yeaaah ... so whad'ja do for it - register those dlls from the link I provided?

The fix was good for both participants. To note folks, it appears the following article would most likely apply for Win7, Vista and XP systems as well as 03 Server, just make sure your application logs contain one of the event errors listed and understand the specified CLSID's will probably differ. As mentioned and depending on which files are present, ignore the failures, follow through. Should it still fail - Stonecat's response.

"Various issues may occur on a Windows Server 2003 based computer that is running the Volume Shadow Copy Service"

15. presrc

presrc Registered Member

Karen et al. Use the following link for instructions on how-to extract files from a W7 system image: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24771-system-image-extract-files-using-disk-management.html

16. whitedragon551

There are no other error messages in the event viewer. System is running like it was the day I got it. Thats whats throwing me off. There are no other symptoms other than a few backup programs saying VSS isnt working.

I did run a chkdsk on the Seagate. Absolutely no errors what so ever. Every sector is fine. It also passed the Seagate Seatools Long drive self test as well as the long generic test. Im now checking the main HD in my laptop for errors.

The laptop HD has passed SMART testing, short drive self testing, and a short generic test so far.

I think its the laptop HD causing the issues. It just failed a long generic test.

Laptop HD is being replaced under warranty. Thank god it happened now. I had about 4 months left on my 2 year warranty. Asus tried to say I voided warranty by installing Win7 over Vista. I guess Ill be back after I get my replacement.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  17. whitedragon551

Alright I got my new HD. Luckily I had 4 more months on my Asus 2 year standard warranty. The HD was replaced via cross shipment form and I was able to use Win 7 Backup and restore to create and image and restore to the new HD. So now Im back on the hunt for a good software.

Price doesnt matter. Its more about speed and reliability at this point.

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i still say shadow protect or macrium. ive played with just abour every backup software i could get my hands on.

19. justsomeguy

justsomeguy Registered Member

20. GlobalForce

21. valnar

valnar Registered Member

Since somebody else resurrected an old thread, I won't be guilty of it. ;)

I highly recommend TeraByte's products - Image for Windows & Image for Linux. If you want a backup program that gives you multiple ways of restoring from media without installing an OS, this is it. I left Acronis TI behind since their boot media is so basic. IFL works with every drive I've come across but if you want a Windows-like recovery CD, they offer a BartPE plugin too.

The interface is a little rough around the edges, but the capability is not. Anyone from the DOS days will appreciate the simplicity.

22. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Yes it does allow this. Right click Computer icon select Manage.

comp.jpg

After that opens select Disk Management.

disk.JPG

In the right side pane, select More Actions. In the popup menu select Attach VHD.

attach.jpg

In the dialog that pops up, browse to the location of the system image backup and select the .vhd file that you want to mount.

Untitled.jpg

The image is now mounted as a drive letter in Computer.

When you are ready to detach the VHD, go back in Disk Management, in the bottom pane, select the Disk Number which has the mounted image, right click the disk number and select Detach VHD

detach.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.