ESET Announces Plan to Discontinue NOD32 Antivirus 2.7

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ronjor, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.eset.eu/press-ESET-Announces-Plan-To-Discontinue-NOD32-Antivirus-2

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello All,

ESET will begin phasing out support for ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.7. On February 1, 2010 NOD32 Antivirus 2.7 software will be removed from ESET’s website and will no longer be sold. Virus Signature Database updates and customer support for NOD32 Antivirus 2.7 will be discontinued on February 1, 2012. ESET’s existing Knowledgebase content and product manuals for ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.7 will continue to be available through the company website.

For more information please refer to the following ESET Knowledgebase article:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2386

Thank you,
    Richard

3. rseiler

rseiler Registered Member

There's also this page:
    http://www.eset.com/company/article/ESET-to-discontinue-NOD32-Antivirus-2.7/6974.php?contentID=6974

It's interesting to me that they tried to slip "light on system resources" under Benefits in a document that's meant to persuade people to upgrade from v2.7. If there's any aspect of v4 that's lighter than v2.7 -- memory, CPU, whatever -- I'm not aware of it.

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks Ron and Richard !

To summarize it as I understand it:

You cannot buy or download 2.7 from 1 Feb 2010

You can still get definition updates for 2.7 until 1 Feb 2012

A licence for definition updates is a licence for definition updates.
    It doesn't matter at all whether you use version 2.7 or version 3 or version 4 of ESET's AntiVirus.

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

In response to your questions:
    1. Yes, that is correct. After February 1, 2010, NOD32 v2.7 will no longer be available for purchase or download from ESET.
    2. Yes, that is correct. Licensed users running NOD32 v2.7 will continue to receive threat signature updates until February 1, 2012.
    3. Licenses are for a particular product or products (ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Smart Security and so forth), a number of computers (or devices like smart phones) and a duration, which is usually one or two years.
    Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Aryeh,

Thanks much for your reply !!

I have to apologize for my very poor wording in 3. :oops: :oops:
    Of course you are completely correct in your reply (!!!):
    What I wanted to say, is:
    You can still buy a licence for definition updates for NOD32 Antivirus after 1 Feb 2010 and use that licence on version 2.7 (until 1 Feb 2012), if you want to use 2.7 until 1 Feb 2012 and if that licence permits you so on that particular computer and system.

Would that be a better wording in combination with your reply 3.?

7. SBSA

SBSA Registered Member

The only question i have is there is no replacement product for exchange yet! I know there is one in the making.. I guess as long as its still supported then it should be ok... for 1 more year at least!

8. agoretsky

Hello,

If you have a current license for ESET NOD32 Antivirus you will be able to enter it into NOD32 v2.7 and be able to download updates after February 1, 2010. The installation package for NOD32 v2.7 will no longer be provided, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Right...so what are we to do on servers that run Exchange..such as SBS, or even just Windows Server with Exchange. Gotta have 2.7 on there if XMON for Exchange it still as its current version.

Sometimes gotta get the installer downloads if I'm onsite and don't have my USB drive.

10. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Dear agoretsky

Though its only 30 Jan-2010 today,why is the link for 2.7 already withdrawn on Eset website ?

Any link to get latest version 2.7 today / tomorrow (31st Jan 2010) ?

SKA

11. agoretsky

Hello,

The links on the download web page might have been removed early. If you have already downloaded a copy of NOD32 v2.70.39, there's no need to download it again as the file has not been updated in quite some time.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

So with one foot Eset kick business users in the bottom by withdrawing their only product that runs on an SBS server & with the other foot, Eset offer business users a 2 year licence for the price of one?

If this incredible situation is true, then Eset have lost my business.

13. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Yah, I have 2x new SBS installs over the next month or so....now what to do for antivirus on them. //shrugs and heads over to Kaspersky and Trend.

14. agoretsky

Hello,

You should be able to use ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition on an SBS server.

If you have any questions about configuration or experience a problem with the installation, you can always call technical support at +1 (866) 343-3738 for additional assistance, open a support ticket, and/or post a message in the forum.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. SBSA

SBSA Registered Member

That maybe so but it does not cover exchange! O well I will wait but a pretty silly move by Eset. They technical don’t have an exchange product at the moment. I guess too some degree they are not rushing it so it will be perfect or “almost” - one would hope..

16. Biscuit

I also have some accepted SBS server quotes in the pipeline, Eset's pullout is very inconvenient.

I've tried Kaspersky on an SBS server - not a pretty sight! I'm testing Sunbelt at the moment.

17. Biscuit

Yes still supported, but it's difficult to justify selling an Eset security suite to a customer with an Exchange server. The competition would only need to ask one question & you've lost the business.

18. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Actually signature updates and support are still provided till 2012, I am sure EMS is out of beta by then.

And you can still buy a EAV v4 license and use that license for v2.7 if you really need it, they just don't provide the installer anymore and sell it as a single product.

19. volvic

volvic Registered Member

just when i wanted to download v2.7. o_O

20. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Try one of the beta's

21. zParticle

zParticle Registered Member

Excellent choice, both for their endpoint antivirus product and their antispam/antivirus product for Exchange.

I've been slowly migrating clients from NOD32 to Vipre and Vipre Enterprise over the last two years, and it's been a very positive experience. Not quite as zippy as NOD32 2.7 but it's still very light on its feet, and for ease of use and detection/cleanup there's really no single product that compares.

22. spm

spm Registered Member

I second that. Eset haven't had a viable product for Exchange for quite some time, following their failure ever to get a NOD32 v3 edition, and still no v4 edition. Then they shoot themselves in the foot by yanking away 2.7 before an Exchange replacement is ready for prime time. While you're right Vipre isn't quite as zippy as NOD32 v.2.7 was it comes close, and in any case is significantly faster than either NOD32 v3 or v4. Vipre Enterprise's central management options also put Eset's offering to shame, with its AD integration, auto-deployment and management reporting.

With Sunbelt's competitive upgrade offer, migrating from NOD32 to Vipre is a no-brainer cost-wise just now.

23. Biscuit

I'd have liked to go with Sunbelt, the US company seems good, but their UK guys are a nightmare to deal with. I'm looking for another product now. Suggestions welcome!

24. Rmuffler

Hello,

ESET released the public beta for the new exchange product on November 4th, 2009. It is currently in the release candidate phase. You can find more information here as well as the beta download:
    http://beta.eset.com/emsx

Thank you,
    Richard

25. Rmuffler

ESET has officially released ESET Mail Security 4 for Microsoft Exchange today. For more information on the product, please see the following thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=267276

NOTE: Existing customers of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.7 for Microsoft Exchange Server will be able to upgrade to ESET Mail Security 4 for Microsoft Exchange Server for free. Refer to the following article for upgrade information: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2408

Thank you,
    Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.