K-Meleon Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nikanthpromod, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

you shouldn't assume people with negative comments havnt tried it before, i certainly have and have been around the computer-scene for many-a-moons. :)

as for IE8, its greatly improved with version 8, plus if i wanted to, i could use the most secure browser out-there, the x64 version of IE8.

but seeing as im using an x64 OS, and with SafeOnline turned up to the max, i see my browser as a great choice. :)

FYI - dont be fooled to think 'small userbase' means no 1 targets the browser, it isnt an anti-virus, a browser with very little security fixes/updates has holes in, regardless of userbase.

a browser with a big hole showing your computer (Example) is still a big hole showing your computer, no matter which browser it is. :rolleyes:

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Unfortunately, your personal prejudice against K-Meleon is exposed by distorting the facts over the size of K-Meleon's installer.:eek:

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Corrected : K-Meleon because of its smaller user base is LESS targeted, not NOT targeted and I will move to ask for the complementary use of other security software to harden it up.:cool:

4. guest

guest Guest

You won't believe me, but I made a big confusion here. I'm sorry, I confused the Safari full installer with the K-Meleon installer. They were both on the Downloads folder.

Editing and deleting last posts. I'll try K-Meleon here in the next few days and then post my finds on a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I believe you. Such things do happen much due to some prejudices and biasness.:p Hope you'll be fair in your testing.

6. PC__Gamer

incorrect im afraid,

browsers are targeted on holes, not popularity.

but i do understand why some people would use it, i think Sully best explained it in this thread.

but, i wouldnt use it for anything personal if i were you.

thats what i think anyway, which brings it to an end. :)

good discussion guys :D lol

7. guest

guest Guest

A last minute question, before I install K-Meleon to give it a try: I know that it uses Gecko 1.8. I also have the latest Firefox here, which uses Gecko 1.9. The installation of K-Meleon (and Gecko 1.8 ) is totally independent, right? I mean, I want to make sure that won't be any compatibility issues or "mix of Gecko files/registry entries".

Oh, and I don't want to use any virtualization software, neither specialized uninstallers which save snapshots of the system. Am I correct on the assuption that K-Meleon's uninstaller also cleans everything?

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If KM does not continue in development, especially the gecko version issue, it will have to drop and fade away. As I understand it there is too much in the older geckos now to really live without the newest versions. I have seen some workarounds on the KM forums, but none that I will try yet.

My advice is to try it out, but only if you are capable/intent on tweaking it. I don't believe it offers anything different if you don't plan on doing this. You might as well stick to FF or Opera if you just want to use it AS IS.

Sul.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

WRONG. Browsers are attacked for BOTH reasons. Explain to me why the bad guys, even if they found holes, would specifically target a browser that has, oh, lets say less than 1% of the market. I don't care if the thing has so many holes it could be mistaken for Swiss cheese, if no one is using it, it's pointless to attack it. Why on earth do you think Firefox attacks have stepped up? Chrome is next in line once it pushes just a little bit more. This goes for software other than browsers too, like say, Adobe.

If you really think popularity has nothing to do with it, you haven't been paying much attention to the security field.

10. PC__Gamer

im sorry, but your extremely wrong, i know what your trying to say as ie: IE8 has alot of malware up against it, drive-by downloads etc.

but this is a different topic,

if only 1 person in the world was using a browser that had no security, would he be safe because he is just 1 person using it?

i think you are being mistaken by anti-virus software, where Norton etc are targetted more than the others due to popularity. etc.

a browser works in the same way a firewall does, by this i mean - if the firewall has some holes in, regardless of what product it actually is or if anyone uses it, people will get through that hole.

11. guest

guest Guest

More popular software becomes more frequent attacked software, especially old vulnerable versions.
    Example: it's easy to see malicious sites attempting to attack users of Internet Explorer old versions.

More frequent attacked software becomes more secure software overall, especially new fixed versions.
    Example: it's not easy to find security vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer latest versions.

But frequency of attacks isn't all. There are also many targeted attacks on-going. There are attacks that exploit multiple vulnerabilities in multiple softwares.

So, regardless of the popularity, it is important that any software (not only browsers) be regularly maintained by dedicated developers. Frequent code reviews and bug fixes are, indeed, essentials.

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

K-mel is updated, beta-wise, many times monthly. Currently, var. F-356 of K-mel (issued Dec. 2009) is based on Gecko 1.9.1.6.

For those truly interested in speed checks, versus mere blather, try THIS browser-speed tester. Results are relative rather than absolute, & will vary depending on browser, destination url, connection speed, computer set-up, etc.

If you want to speed your surfing up, rather than concentrating solely on browser speed, try checking the speed of your DNS using DNS Benchmark (free).

As to browser security, it's best (I think) to rely on Sandboxie or Shadow Defender, et alia, rather than just your browser. As to browser security... "Beware the zero-day dragons" because NO browser is fully prepared for THOSE nasties. :argh:

14. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

damn bellgamin, i dont think ive ever seen someone here as well versed in indie browserso_O
    you need to be designated a browser expert, aficionado or the like - reveal a screenshot of your mighty browser if youd favor me :D

15. bellgamin

I just enjoy trying out browsers.

My installed browsers are FireFox-Namoroka (portable) & K-mel. See FF-N(p) screenie over yonder

I surf with Shadow Defender and NO other security (see Notes below).

For curiosity's sake, plus a modicum of fun, I sometimes do trials of other browsers such as Orca, Opera, Google Chrome, Chrome+, Dooble, Safari, Iron, & QTWeb. I do so with non-permanent ad hoc installs in Shadow Mode.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    NOTE 1: Shadow Mode is (IMO) safer, even when run by itself, than all other security apps combined -- & MUCH less of a slow-down. Surfing in Shadow Mode (without AVs, HIPS, "internet guards", & such) will safely speed up ANY browser.

NOTE 2: I do use on-demand keylogger protection if I am entering private info. Shadow Mode won't prevent a keylogger (so I'm told). :argh:

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Okay, so you haven't spent much time in the security field. How are IE vulnerabilities a different topic? No, I'm not being mistaken by any software, and, thanks for proving my point about more popular software being attacked more than others with your Norton comment. If you believe it about anti-virus software, what is so difficult about believing the same about browsers?

And no, I don't think one person using an insecure browser is truly safe because they are the only one. In fact, if said browser is built upon the same code as a more popular browser, they are in just as much danger if left un-patched. But, again, you agreed with my statement by bringing up Norton. You either believe popular software is attacked more, or you don't. There is no "only a specific category".

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  17. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

i admire your resolve - i myself have shadow defender at the ready, though i only use it on rare occasion, when the situation prefers its use over other layers

you figure shadow defender to be stronger defense than firstline measures such as sandboxie, defensewall and so on?

im not much of a tester im ashamed to admit it - i tend to find a browser that suits me and develop it - see my opera here: http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww156/pink_moon_drake/Wilders/opera_2010.jpg

best for the new year!

18. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
  19. PC__Gamer

you have no idea who i am nor where i work.

ive finished discussing this topic, if you wish to carry it on, thats fine - but do it with someone else.

if you wish to use a browser like this, go-4-it, its completely your choice. :p

but, I see absolutely nothing good about a rip-off firefox browser, that is using an old engine version, doesnt update and has had features taken out to make its executable nice and small. :)

might aswell, take google chrome, take away some of the security features, use an outdated engine, update it once in a while, and tell the world its super light - oh, and give it a windows classic theme too to go extremely-basic (but extremely FASTTTTTT - not that im saying K-Mel is like this just to be 'clear') . hmmm - maybe i could do this in a weekend. o_O

lmao :argh:

have fun with your little discussion.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Very well, lol.

21. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Thanks for all ur comments. :D

I uninstalled it :D . I think all of u are happy now. I dont have a vulnerable browser now. Im now protected bcoz no virus can come to my pc without a browser.:p
    Hehe JK:D

I think FF alone would be enough for me:thumb:

Thread Closed.

NOTE: Still im not able to find that Close this Thread button

22. bellgamin

You persist in posting inaccurate information. Sadly, you seem unwilling (or unable) to absorb ANYthing that is contrary to your personal bias. Even so... aloha & shalom.

No. SBIE (properly configured) & DW will afford equal protection to ShaDef. With any of these 3, it is safe to surf with NO other security apps in operation. Faster, too!

23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Neither happy nor unhappy, it's really your choice;)

FF is indeed good, just as K-Meleon is also good.:p

To each their own.:cool:

24. icr

icr Registered Member

Only the mods have the right.;)

Any features of K-Meleon that is worth seeing except for less memory usage I had used once and really don't know what to comment on this browser:)

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I am pretty sure I was using KM before FF was FF, back when FF was just called Mozilla Browser, that is right when Netscape started its decline. At least that is what my memory banks seem to recall.

So if I am right, how is KM a ripoff or clone of FF? Even if my dates are not correct, I still don't see why one would speculate KM as being a ripoff/clone of FF. KM forums are full of talk of XUL and the differences between KM and FF.

I admit I am a bit mystified as to how KM is following FF, it seems to me to be more of a rogue than a copycat.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.