A New Player:- Preventon AntiVirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Not me, trying Preventon AV at the moment. This to assess some educated guesses on its merits. Thanks good find, really appreciate it :thumb:

It has a very simple (ugly) interface, with little options to tune/tweak the AV. Considering it does on access scanning realtime, its I/O is very reasonable (on low side), its CPU usage is a reasonable.

Because I run LUA, SRP (deny), ACL (registry/folders) and group policy limitations, I normally set an AV to scan on writes only. Considering I run full featured, the CPU usage is higher than I am used to, but I bearly feel the difference. So it will stay on my play PC (at least until Avast releases V5).

Note the AV scanner also got an behavioral tick box, for explanation see Sophos website http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/25044.html

The Manual/Scheduled scanning has an option to enable for deep-scan (by default turned off).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. erikloman

erikloman Developer

According to the PDF on Preventon's website, Preventon Antivirus is based entirely on the detection technology of Sophos™:

3. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

And that's a good thing ;) I have ditched Panda Cloud and put this in place of it. Feels as light and it will absolutely be better than Panda. All the test of Panda Cloud AV 1.0 on Youtube are devastating for the Spanish company.

4. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Really appreciated, that you have tested or tried this AV. I am also going to try and test it, but due to limited time and resources it will take some time. Secondly, have you tested it with "In the Wild Malwares"? I hope soon somebody will publish his/her result.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Free is always good, but it would help if they would get a better GUI and a better... product name. Maybe for native english speakers "Preventon" is fine. Myself, i am not even sure how to pronounce it. :doubt: Is it PrIventon or PrivEnton? And it also means nothing to me. Prevention would make sense.

I don't know who how they come up with these names...

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

is this just Virus detection and not spyware? it what it looks like on there website.

if its running the sophos engine that nice the hear, sound like a good AV, lets hope it tests well.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Bandwagon jumping anyone? Why do some of you do this? "It will absolutely be better than Panda"...hours ago hardly anyone here knew Preventon existed, and now there's a crystal ball involved and the program is going to be a sure bet? By the way, other than Youtube, Panda does just fine at keeping things out, it just has a hard time with cleaning (going by recent reviews, not sure if this has changed).

I mean, come off of it, seriously. One person early on trashed Preventon because it didn't detect anything they threw at it, a few posts later the same one praised it and said it FOUND everything they threw at it. What happened there, did the poster change samples around until Preventon found something? I swear, some ought not even bother posting if all they are going to do is spew bullcrap and "follow the crowd" when they see everyone else has a different opinion than they do.

I'm sorry to hijack this, but I get tired of opinions being shot out with nothing to back them up and the "basement testers" who have no friggin clue what they are doing yet feel it necessary to share their "results" when all it is going to do is add conflicting information and confuse the hell out of people who might not know better and come looking for experienced opinions on security choices. /end rant.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  8. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Nice bit of understatement there. I guess the people slagging off on Dr.Web's GUI in that other thread haven't seen this one yet. Makes Dr.Web's look like something from one of the Milan design studios *puppy*

9. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i see their no windows 7 support :eek:

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Sophos' AV engine ?
    Thay *may* work well in the corporate field, but it's not so good for home users because of its low detections and many false positives. Don't take my word for it, the latest av-comparatives' on-demand review shows this clearly.

AND I'm not sure how well it deals with adware and spyware, I know Webroot's Spy Sweeper with antivirus uses Sophos' engine for the antivirus part, which suggests certain limitations of the Sophos' engine.

Note: the names of Webroot's programs may have changed, they offer a full security suite now.

11. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

It does look like a typo of Prevention and someone decided to just leave it that way.

Unfortunately the open source community is much worse when it comes to bizarre names for apps. Often they give no hint at what they do, e.g., Photoshop vs. GIMP. Sylpheed sounds more like a venereal disease than an email client :p

12. Kees1958

Well,

I am just trying it for two reasons

1. In the early days of rootkits, I remember a special security report of a large IT company (servicing other companies). It had Sophos listed as the AV with second lowest infections of lap top users which had admin rights (for all sorts of reasons).

2. Fun, just trying something out on the play machine.

So curiosity and a positive brand association of Sophos AV are the reasons behind my test drive.

About the name, I guess it is intended as Prevent-ON.

Regards Kees

13. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

lol.

name apart everyone here remembers how "simple" eset's gui was a few years ago but it was doing great as an antivirus...

when it comes to companies using other peoples engine is what i personally dont appreciate that much..

14. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

anyone try this on Windows 7? i havnt seen any support for it yet

15. icr

icr Registered Member

It won't work info:)

16. Edwin024

That's nonsense. I have it running on Win7 64 bit. So no problem with Win7 and Preventon!

17. icr

icr Registered Member

I don't know just read their pdf document and said:)

18. Edwin024

They just haven't updates their info. Maybe you can first try out something for yourself before writing stuff?

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

o_O Most people would check the website and 99 times out of 100 that is sufficent. icr was just trying to help.

20. icr

icr Registered Member

I don't have windows 7 on my comp:cautious: but have tried on XP sp3 working good in my case.

21. Kees1958

ICR Don't worry, the hammer said it already :)

22. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

How's it running Captain Kees, smooth sailing so far? :)

23. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

I am going to test it tomorrow. Hope I may get good list of nasty malwares on malwaredomainlist....Can Somebody PM me where i can get good bunch of Viruses and Trojans to test....

24. sursmurf

sursmurf Registered Member

I installed Preventon yesterday. Today I found this, at trojan spammed as a link in MSN messenger. In VT Sohpos have detection for it, but I can't get Preventon to react nomatter how I try. I have everything activated under both realtime and manual scanning and have tried with both without detection.

-remove link-

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  25. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

hi....sursmurf you might want to remove the VT link......it's against wilders tos..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.