SpiderOak - The secure, partially free, cloud service

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by draecena, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draecena

draecena Registered Member

I guess most of you have heard about DropBox and Google. They are both big cloud-players. I also guess most people in this forum knows that storing stuff in the cloud is not very secure, especially not with stuff like the patriot act and the EU's data retention directive...

Well, there is a "new kid on the block" - SpiderOak.com
    https://spideroak.com/whyspideroak

You can get up to 5 GB of free storage by recommending them to your friends which is a lot more than DropBox's max of 3GB =)

They guarantee zero-knowledge privacy with client-side encryption! You can't share what you don't know =) This is "the same policy" as the VPN-provider perfect-privacy.com, which I also recommend!

Another kick ass feature is that they have complete cross-platform support and they are working on a lot more features! Rumours has it that a portable app is in the makings and that a more collaborative approach is also on the way.

Check em out! You've got nothing to loose and all to win!

And no, I don't work for them but I am a happy customer, as with perfect-privacy.com and some other great services on the net. I found spiderOak while researching how to put a freeOTFE container (better than TrueCrypt!) on dropbox so that I could ensure a little privacy. With SpiderOak there is no need :)

2. korben

korben Registered Member

3. I no more

I no more Registered Member

How do you know? Client side encryption doesn't mean anything if they have the key to unlock it. With most of these services, the encryption is used to prevent snooping during transmission. It doesn't at all imply that they're not capable of looking at your data.

Just because it's on their FAQ doesn't make it true. Some people have been known to lie. It's crazy but true!

4. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Spot on. I have had LE lie to me. They are notorious, state-sanctioned liars at that. (Never talk to any LE under any circumstances and never believe what they say.)

I'd avoid all such "cloud providers" and try this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openvpn-als/

That way, you control your own data and the amount and type of data shared are limitless.

Aside from that, and assuming you "have nothing to hide" and don't care about others rifling through anything/everything, why not just try:

https://skydrive.live.com/

That offers 25GB.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  5. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

SpiderOak does look interesting. However, I haven't found anything on their website about payment. In particular, I don't see anything about anonymous payment options. I'm guessing that there's a subscription window in the client. And I'm going to read more before installing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.