8 Things You Need to Know about Chrome OS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

MaximumPC Article by Will Smith & Norman Chan.​

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I wonder what privacy issues the Google OS will have? Their search engine and web browser are pretty nosy. This cloud based OS will be like Big Brother.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

wow having EVERY SINGLE file stored by google, ye...... NO THANKS...

5. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Yeah, I don't care for that in the least. Nor the following, for that matter:

....the big question is what happens when Google's servers go down. How accessible will your data be when you're away from the Internet for a few days?

Sounds like your PC is utterly useless if No servers/No internet. No like/No thanks!

Then there's:

...it won't work with your third-party peripherals that use non-standard drivers...They say that they'll have a novel solution for printing in the future.

So, I can use my keyboard, mouse, and USB HDD but nothing else (e.g. printer, scanner, pc fax)? Swell.............

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

No thanks.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so google is trying to go back to a more dumb terminal approach?
    if internet goes down your computer is as useful as a paper weight.
    not being able to support non standard hardware geez...
    how many drivers did they take out of their heavily modified Linux kernel?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Having EVERYTHING, from applications to data stored "on the cloud"o_O o_O

Can you spell B-I-G Brother? Or should i say Big Google?

I am SURE that both software companies and goverments , as well as crackers, would LOOOOVE to have everyone under control, accessing everything on the cloud, ready for control and inspection (and cracking) at will, but i hope i will be DEAD before people accept this as "normal", "mainstream" way of using their PCs.

I honestly can't see why a consumer would gain from giving complete control of his electronic life over to his ISP, Google , MS or anyone else. Hard disks are huge in capacity nowdays and cheap, so lack of storage space can't be the issue either. Hey, they sell 32GB pen drives out there.

The only explanation that i can find about the promotion of "cloud", is "Welcome to BIG BROTHER".

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

it isnt intended to go on mainstream PC's and Desktops, mainly for netbooks AT THE MOMENT, but with google, im sure they will try to expand into other areas...

10. Fuzzfas

Yes, it all starts from somewhere, people get accustomed to the idea and at the end they get their big-brotheresque features before they know it.

More or less that's how we started from cameras in the banks, then since we got used to them, we got them to supermarkets, then to streets, and then thanks to Osama who will be laughing his ass out somewhere in his cave with champaign, we ended up with biodata and fingerprint passports, logging of all emails and SMS we send and who knows what's next.

First you put your AV into cloud. Ah, so nice! Then let's start your netbook in your cloud. Well, it's always the same! Then let's move some applications to the cloud. Well, why not! Then let's put all your apps! Then your OS!

It's like the tale of the frog that was being boiled so slowly, that never realised that he was actually boiling in the saucer pan.

I won't be surprised if it's not just Google , but also MS , and a side-sponsoring from goverment to push the cloud computing forward.

Nothing good for the user, everything good for the others. They can control which applications you can run and which version, when you update, if the applications you use are for their liking (p2p is a no-no), peek into your data to see what they like without those lousy cookies or phoning home, etc.

There is NOTHING good for the customer coming out of cloud computing, yet everyone talks about it as an almost exciting novelty!

Why? Is it because my quad core doesn't have enough processing power? Because my 1TB hard disk doesn't have space? Why must i rely to my modem, ISP, servers and an OS on the cloud?

Can't netbooks have a hard disk inside? Of course they can!

But yeah, it would be a paradise for companies. No distribution. Huge cost drops. Complete control over piracy and privacy. Control over which apps to allow and which not. Indirectly control the hardware evolution speed of progress (your cloud OS doesn't support your old hardware, please upgrade or run like a turtle).

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Really? That's interesting. This thread actually reminds me of the story of Chicken Little.

12. Fuzzfas

Is this Chicken Little? From 1943?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Little_(1943_film)

Never heard of it before. I guess if you 've seen it enough to remember the story, there is no reason for you to worry.

13. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Another Google crap.
    1. They have realised that everything their minds can think of has already been invented. Otherwise with the resources they have they could have created something more interesting and innovative.
    2. Obviously all the brilliant minds they have hired are not that brilliant or they have been soffocated by bad strategies and management.
    3. They have their minds fixed on only one thing. Make us more Google addicts. And their OS is a step to that direction. It's obviously the first time in history that an open source OS has been created for advertising purposes and just to make more solid Google's position.

Before thinking of a new OS they should consider re-BETA their GMail and the rest of the services.

Months ago they have closed a Gmail account of mine and their stupid automatic "recovery" system...never "believed" I am the owner. Since then they have made some changes ( confirming their issues ) but again I lost too much. I cannot immagine losing my whole pc this way. I don't trust them anymore and have started a long process moving a lot of data to other services. I want to be Google free and other great companies have started providing real alternatives.

I just hope in the next decades for better anti-trust laws that will break this monster to smaller pieces which will provide better services respecting every single user.

14. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Those are all good reasons for me to pass on the Google OS.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just ignore it when it's released. Simple. No reason to get all upset about Chrome OS. If computers start to ship with it THEN get upset. :D

16. tsec

tsec Registered Member

To hell with this crap.

Seriously, surrendering all control of ones data and machine to the Cloud-inhabiting Monolith is just plain nuts.

:thumbd:

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.