Exclude files and folders

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by diabloNL, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diabloNL

diabloNL Registered Member

I'm trying to use the exclude feature but I have a question about this. I made a filter like this C:\Users\xxxx\Music\*.* and when Paragon makes the backup it says it is excluding the songs in the Music folder. Also the image is smaller than when I turn the filter off. The thing I don't understand is when I go to Archives and open that image it still shows my songs in the Music folder. Any idea what is going on or am I missing something?

Attached Files:

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

It's created dummy files which has zero bytes. You can ignore those files during a restore or delete them immediately. This was something we've tried to push and to get it fix in the next build *crosses fingers*.

3. diabloNL

But the strange thing is that if I delete a song from my music folder and restore the dummy file it is the correct file size. I did hex edit the file and it exists out of 4MB of SPACES. So basically you are saying that the size does take the disk space ones restored but in the backup it's almost 0 bytes because it's compressed. So logically, if you backup without compression it will retain the 4MB size and the backup will be the same size with or without the filter?

Also I noticed that Paragon keeps deleting my filters that I set up in settings. :(

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

The filter feature definitely does need some cleaning up. You'll notice that the file restored may be the same size but not readable. But effectively, it does not take up any space in the archive.

Are you adding the filters during the backup wizard? Those will only retain for that operation. To add permanent filters, go to Tools > Settings and this will retain in future backups.

5. diabloNL

I did set them up through settings, but for some reason they keep being deleted. I don't know what triggers the deleting of them. :(

6. diabloNL

Has this issue been fixed in version 10 where it would add the excluded files to the archive?

7. diabloNL

This issue still is there and I have another issue. I can't get the filters to work for other than partition C:. I made a filter for partition D:/Video/*.* and paragon doesn't exclude anything.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.