Continuously harrassing user with idiotic messages

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by UISanity, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UISanity

UISanity Registered Member

I can't find the other thread on here on the same subject, but when is NOD32's GUI going to be fixed?

At present, the latest release continuously pesters the user with redundant, useless messages, that they system is "not protected" if they choose to explicitly disable various parts of NOD32.

Even setting the "dismiss message after "n" seconds" setting doesn't work properly - set it for 1 second (the minimum it'll accept), and it sits there counting down from 10 seconds after a reboot.

How can users which know what they're doing turn off these messagess?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Disable automatic real-time protection startup or HTTP, POP3 checking, whichever you need, in the main setup to prevent the warnings. However, disabling any of the protection modules will lower the protection level.

3. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

4. UISanity

I think you may have misunderstood - I've disabled the protection, and that's what it's continuously "warning" me about

AFAIK, I've turned off everything relating to messages, warnings, and notifications - but still they come!

I'm trying to get rid of these "warnings", as they serve no purpose except to annoy the user! I already know that it's disabled - I was the one who disabled it!

I've configured NOD32 as:

Antivirus and antispyware:
    All checkboxes blanked

Antivirus and antispyware\Real-time file system protection:
    All checkboxes ticked, except "Enable real-time file system protection" and "Start real-time file system protection automatically"

Antivirus and antispyware\Document protection:
    I blank this checkbox, but it keeps getting turned back on every time I reboot?!

Antivirus and antispyware\Email client protection:
    All checkboxes blanked

Antivirus and antispyware\Email client protection\Email clients:
    All checkboxes blanked, except "repeat scan after update" and 2accept scan results from other modules"

Antivirus and antispyware\Email client protection\POP3, POP3S:
    All checkboxes blanked

Antivirus and antispyware\Web access protection:
    All checkboxes blanked (the checkbox is also disabled)

Antivirus and antispyware\Web access protection\HTTP, HTTPS:
    All checkboxes blanked

Tools\Alerts and notifications:
    All checkboxes blanked

Tools\System updates:
    Set to "No updates"

User interface:
    All checkboxes blanked, except:
    "Advanced mode"
    "Display menu in Advanced mode"
    "Use standard menu"

User interface\Alerts and notifications:
    All checkboxes blanked, except:
    "Close messageboxes automatically after (sec.)" - set to 10s
    - This resets to 10s after reboot if 1s is entered, and unchecking it has no effect on the nagging warnings

Any suggestions?

5. UISanity

I guess I'm not the only one who this problem gets at! :(

From your screenshot, it sounds like I need to turn on "Display alerts" to get rid of them?!

(Note: I'm trying to get rid of the "warnings" altogether, not just banish them to balloon tips - that's pretty annoying as well!)

My config's as described above - I've turned off everything that sounds even remotely like it relates to messages - but it still constantly pesters me.

This is particularly bad when (for example) I'm in the middle of watching a video - for some reason NOD32 seems to think it's more important to hammer the user with "warnings" about NOD32 than actually let them get on and use their computer!

6. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

The only warnings I seem to get when disabling parts of NOD32 are from Windows Security Center (Action Center in Windows 7); are you sure the warnings you're seeing are coming from NOD32 and not from Security Center?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  7. fblais

fblais Registered Member

A shot in the wind, but can you disable them when running the applet to uninstall ESET but choosing the modify button ?
    With Avira I did it that way, and absolutely no warning whatsover!

8. Marcos

There will always be some warnings, at least when automatic updates or real-time protection are disabled. It's not "idiotic" as you say, these two things are the most crucial for the user. You can disable egui.exe from being started automatically with Windows, but I wouldn't recommend that as some actions require user intervention.

9. UISanity

Yes, they're NOD32 messages; it does tell you this much.

The messages windows shows are annoying, but easily turned off. Unlike NOD32.

10. ccomputertek

Blah ! I allready showed you how to turn them off and explained it in detail, if you still don't think they can be turned off, then Blah again I say :thumbd:

11. UISanity

For any half competent user who knows what they're doing, the messages are idiotic. Far from being crucial, they are a positive nuisance.

Even a little common sense will tell you how idiotic they are. You're displaying messages warning the user that they've turned warning messages off. This is just plain stupid, no matter which way you look at it.

It causes practical problems as well; if you're trying to play a DVD fullscreen - you get interrupted halfway through with a NOD32 message saying "warning! warning!". Thanks for interrupting the video, but I really don't need to be reminded of something I've done!

If you're trying to work, you get interrupted with the same message on a regular basis - destroying your concentration. Here's a simple challenge: Install NOD32 on your work PC, turn off the realtime protection, turn off the "don't hassle me with useless messages" option, and then just sit back and see what it does to your productivity over the course of a day, let alone a week if you're a real machoist. Clue: It's more distracting than spam hitting your inbox. (Tip: Don't do this near any important deadlines!)

I realise that a number of users will just want something they can install and forget about.

That's understandable!

But not all users are like that. Some of us actually know what we're doing (Shock! Horror!) and either use antivirus software intelligently (rather than as a blanket system) as and when needed, or employ more than one antivirus product to increate detection (a pretty basic security technique which means you're not relying on one antivirus supplier for protection, though typically requires manual operation due to the various products don't normally "playing nice" with each other)

The worst part is probably the fact you actually supply a configuration option that seemingly turns off messages - which is then completely ignores in order to show more messages.

Yes. I know. I turned it off, remember? Clearly not, it seems.

If I wanted to see warning messages, I wouldn't have turned them off now, would I?

Have a little more respect for your users.

As for these messages bring "critical" for the user - an antivirus program which the user manually runs on their system provides infinitly more protection than an antivirus program which is uninstalled because it ~Possibly offensive phrase removed.~

Ironically, they don't even increase the user's protection by telling them that realtime protection is disabled.

But at least there's a solution, short of uninstalling it! (Thanks for this!)

Deleting the "egui" key from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

is fair enough, though not particularly user friendly. Specifically, which actions is this executable it needed for though?

Add big dire warnings if the user tries to do this if you must, but please take into account the fact that not all of your users are incompetent! Some us do actually know and understand what we're doing!

Treating your users like children is not likely to endear you to them...

(Well, at I feel better after typing that! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  12. UISanity

Your followup didn't work :oops: (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=254858 and my configuration above)

Turning on "display alerts" didn't improve things either (I wouldn't expect it to)

The advice given by Marcos (kill egui.exe process, and prevent it from automatically starting up) look like they've done the job though! (So far, anyway) :thumb:

(Thanks Marcos! :D )

13. ccomputertek

The directions I gave you are what worked for me ! ! CHAMP ! ! :blink:

But it looks like once again marcos is king :thumb:

14. Marcos

As I said, there are events that require user intervention. For instance, if a virus or potentially unsafe application is found. With egui disabled, no prompt window will be shown and thus such files will only be blocked and no further action will be carried out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.