Need Good Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JMBAV, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMBAV

JMBAV Registered Member

I just took KIS 2010 off my machine after experiencing significant slowdown. After boycotting Symantec for 15 years, I put on NIS 2010 and I am very pleased with it. The one thing it doesn't have is an ad blocker. I only need the ad blocker - not another AV program. Any recommendations?

2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

If Firefox is your browser then Google adblocking userContent.css. I've been using this for adblocking a number of years. Works great.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

what browser do you normally use?

5. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I agree, Adblock Plus add on in Firefox works great.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i use adblock plus firefox extension and its always worked perfectly.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Ad Muncher works with any browser, but it's not free.

8. acr1965

I used to swear by ad muncher but not so much anymore. There are just not that many good alternatives if you are not a regular firefox user. There was SuperAdBlocker which had an older version of SuperAntiSpyware built in- so not a bad combo a couple years ago. Then came along Vista and a bunch of promised compatibility upgrades that never seemed to happen. After waiting about a year I did not even consider it anymore. But it is possible that if you run XP it might work ok for you and you get the antispyware component thrown in. I'm not sure what all SAB includes these days. Give it a trial. Sometimes there is a "one day only" sales ad that pops up after a scan.

9. prairie dog

prairie dog Registered Member

+1:thumb:

10. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

my personal choice has always been the famous proxomitron with sidki's config set. cant go wrong with it :thumb:

11. Blingg

Blingg Registered Member

What about Privoxy?

I'm using it at the moment on Ubuntu and I'm quite pleased with it. I just did a vanilla install, configure my browser and that's all - no extra tweaking (I was lazy to read the documentation :p). I'm quite satisfied with it altough some sites seem to load a bit slower...

12. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders Security Forums JMBAV.....

You never mentioned what Browser you are using, if by chance you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer then I strongly suggest Adblock Pro v2.6
    For an one time registration fee of $19.95 the product is yours forever. Adblock Pro v2.6 for Microsoft Internet Explorer works impressively well.
    There are two filter lists, the programs default list: 'abp-default' and the users customizable list: 'user'

Together both of these filter lists overwhelmingly block more than the majority of ads, popup windows, activex object ads, flash ads, element ads,
    rich media ads, banner ads, fly-in ads, and more. The user can also right click any image in any Web Page and add the image to the blocked filter list.
    The user can also disable filtering for an selected Domain or for the current Web Page only. The keyword filtering also supports the wildcard character: '*'
    All of the filtering is performed right at the Browser, there is no delay in the loading or disfiguring in the display of the target Web Pages.

Both filter lists can be backed up by Exporting the lists, and supports Importing lists from the backup or other lists.
    For an complete tutorial, screen shots, and the default filter list, follow the links below:

Adblock Pro v2.6 Home Page:
    http://www.adblockpro.com/

Adblock Pro v2.6 User Guide with Screen Shots:
    http://www.adblockpro.com/help.html

Adblock Pro v2.6 'abp-default' default filter list:
    http://www.adblockpro.com/subscription/abp-default.txt

HKEY1952

13. Creer

Creer Registered Member

+1 the same here.

14. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Sounds interesting.
    Are there any pre-made userContent.css that you recommend Trespasser?

Currently using Adplock Plus addon for Firefox and it has worked very well for me.

15. demonon

demonon Guest

You could use the inprivate browsing option for IE8, Firefox has adblock plus and allot of other browsers will allow you to block ads through a css file.
    If you want to block ads everywhere in your system, I recommend privoxy.
    It's free too.

16. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Yeah, really disappointing what Nick did with SuperAdblocker. For more then a year ago he continually promised updates so that SuperAdblocker would become compatible with Vista, with x64 Windows, IE8 and Firefox 3.5x....... but so far SuperAdblocker has become vaporware. :mad:

17. pbw3

pbw3 Registered Member

Just for info, Super Adblocker does work on Vista (and has for the last two years - on my machine at least)..
    http://www.superadblocker.com/
    the SAB web site here also suggests that it works with Firefox, which they also confirmed to me by e-mail some time back.. I only stopped using it when I changed to using Opera..

18. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Regarding Vista, when you have UAC enabled, then pop-ups constantly bug you to give permissions to do things like updating. With real Vista compatible programs UAC shouldn't be a problem. Vista support in SuperAdBlocker is half done.

Regarding browser-support, here's a quote from there website: http://www.superadblocker.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=12

19. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Outpost FW blocks ADs like a dream.

Try it.

20. acr1965

I stopped using it when it would not start with windows in Vista without the UAC warnings. That was probably over a year ago though.

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I do it at the firewall/gateway...let it be done in hardware so all the computers on the network can benefit.
    A few linux distros have this feature, such as Untangle (as well as antivirus protection, spyware protection, content filtering, IDS, etc)

22. pbw3

pbw3 Registered Member

Apols, didn't spot that...

OK, yes I had forgotten about those UAC checks..:)

23. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Hello, Tony
    No, I can't recommend an adblocking userContent.css. The one I'm using is two to three years old and I forgot just where I got it. Just Google it and they'll show up. It blocks ads, images, etc.. You can edit the css file (use WordPad not notepad) to add what addresses you wish but don't be too concerned...Since I've been using an adblocking userContent.css file I've added just two addresses...and it's only about 12 kilobytes in size. Like I said, works great.

24. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Ok will do.

25. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

goota be nice,i heard it can be done with lynksys and some other routers.
    i have westell versalink 327w provided by verizon but i think adblocker adblocker in hardware-firewall is not supported..
    -btw i use privoxy and it works well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.