Prevx RC 3.0.4.221

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by sded, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sded

sded Registered Member

Installed automatically over 3.0.4.218 with no issues. Running fine alongside Avast! 5.0.150. Tested against badpx5.exe and all is well-have not had a "fail to detect anything" issue for a few weeks, so seems to be solved.

2. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Re: Prevx 3.0.4.221

Updated finely, but task icon is missing now.
    Can't terminate 2 Prevx.exes at Task manger, and starting Prevx manually doesn't give anything.

I'll restart computer.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Re: Prevx 3.0.4.221

Hello all,
    This build fixes a few incompatibilities and issues. To retest the changes after upgrading, just close/reopen your browser. The download links are still:

32bit: http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=edgebeta
    64bit: http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=edgebeta64

The changelog is:

- Fixed an issue supporting user switching in x64
    - Fixed an issue blocking browser instances from communicating in some cases
    - Fixed an issue opening an Opera window from a shortcut
    - Added a Reset button to reset default settings
    - Fixed some issues in the warning dialog for protected credentials
    - Made credential protection more generic to cover other data types
    - Fixed some incompatibilities with Sandboxie/similar technologies

Known Issues:
    - Incompatibility with Digsby account management (will be fixed in .222)
    - Possible (unreplicated) issue with Threatfire v4.6.0.19
    - Possible issue cleaning the Trojan Simulator
    - Possible incompatibility with KeyScrambler
    - Some incompatibilities with Fritz!Protect firewall

Conceptual Incompatibilities:
    - Defensewall is expected to block Opera support as it prevents browsers from reaching trusted components (Prevx) so we are not able to load some protection/monitoring into an Opera browser protected by Defensewall

- SAS and MBAM scanning is sometimes slowed when Prevx is active: This is an issue stemming back a while and is solved by stopping Prevx protection while scans are taking place. We're investigating whether it would be possible to identify the operations SAS/MBAM are making in the system to prevent us from intercepting their file reads to improve their scan times.

Next Steps:
    - Add Safari Support
    - Add Iron Support
    - Add Maxthon Support

Please let me know what you find and thanks again for the testing!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  4. ace11

ace11 Registered Member

any graphic indication @ maxthon that safeonline is active ?

I dont see any ....

5. PrevxHelp

SafeOnline does not currently support Maxthon but it will in a future version :)

6. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Bld 221 installed over 218 , no problems.

However I have WinPatrol Plus installed and tried to look at the Plus Info for Prevx.exe and got a Phishing Alert (first screenshot) Tried to continue by clicking 'Ignore' and FireFox blocked the connection but a page opened up in IE7 - second screenshot. The gist of the WinPatrol info is that Prevx.exe is a part of the W32/IRCBot-TF worm o_O
    Any comment Joe?

This is 100% reproducible on my machine, if you need details of how to do it let me know.

Attached Files:

7. PrevxHelp

This looks like two FPs, one from WinPatrol and one from Prevx on their URL. I'll see what is triggering the phishing warning from our end - could you give me the full URL it goes to when it triggers this? (I can see most of it in the screenshot but it would be best to look at the entire URL at once :))

Thanks!

8. Dark Star 72

Joe,
    I cannot get any more of that address than you can see in the screenshot, sorry about that.

9. lorenzet

lorenzet Registered Member

accents do not work on keyboard ABNT2

10. ludo021288

ludo021288 Registered Member

I just purchased PrevX yesterday and i'm running this lastest beta alongside NIS2010. So far so good but i encountered two minor issues:
    - First, the tray icon seems to disappear randomly at reboot, which is resolved by killing prevx process and restarting it. I'm running Windows 7 64 RTM and previously had the same issue with Eset Smart Security (same OS, same hardware, another installation). No other software seems to be affected.
    - SafeOnline feature is not present in x64 version, too bad :( Do you plan to launch it simultaneously for x64 and x86 version? Or the x64 version will be released later (or never)?
    Otherwise, everything is perfect, program is running light on system ressources and works even with a quite slow internet connection (3G+, approximately 1000kb/s effective)

11. PrevxHelp

Good to hear and welcome to the forum :)

Could you click the small tray arrow and click Customize and see if there are any settings configured for Prevx to hide the tray icon? Windows 7 manages the system tray differently and it "may" be automatically hiding Prevx... :doubt:

We will have a x64 version of SafeOnline but it will be some distance down the roadmap.

Great :) Let me know if you have any other questions/problems!

12. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

221 running smoothly on my XP SP3 with Online Armor ++. Have Run Safer enabled on browsers and no conflicts with SafeOnline.

13. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

OK, my first issue and it's with this version. Now Prevx is not recognized by Windows Security Center. I'm running Windows 32 bit home version and Online Armor Premium alongside...:rolleyes: :)

14. SvS

SvS Security Expert

For build 206 I reported the following problem:

> There appears to be a slight incompatibility with SafeOnline and the
    > Identity Safe feature of Norton Internet Security (using NIS 2010
    > on Windows 7 x32).

> I use Identity Safe to store my address information and part of my
    > Credit Card info in a password protected Identity Card. While visiting
    > any online shopping site (using the https protocol) I'm unable to type
    > the Identity Card password into Identity Safes password dialog using
    > the keyboard. Copy & Paste works, typing the passoword does not.

Using build 221 the problem still exists and does not only affect Identity Safe. I decided to buy a copy of O&O Defrag from http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/index.html. Using Identity Safe to fill in my password protected adress data on the order page did not work since the Identity Safe password prompt did not accept any keyboard input. This happened again some time later while attempting to fill out the credit card data.
    After the payment was processed my registration data was displayed on the order page. So I left the browser window open, installed O&O Defrag and started the application. The first screen displayed prompted for the registration data which I was unable to enter since the dialog would not accept keyboard input. After closing the browser window protected by SafeOnline this started to work immediately again.

15. Dark Star 72

Running the same combination here seemingly without any problems :thumb:

However I got a BSOD last night when enabling Shadow Defender, I also had this happen several builds ago. Not sure if this has anything to do with Prevx or not as I had been using SD without any problems. Are there any known incompatibilities between Prevx and Shadow Defender?

16. PrevxHelp

I'm unaware of any, but if you could mail the latest crashdump from c:\windows\minidumps\ to report@prevxresearch, I'll be able to investigate the source of the BSOD :)

17. overangry

overangry Registered Member

Not working on my system.
    I am unable to perform a scan, and it is not detecting any threats.
    I am also unable to cancel the scan for aprox. one minute after which time I receive the corresponding warning.
    Windows FW is activated and Threatfire is enabled. disabled TF and safeonline to no avail.
    SB and PCTFW are uninstalled.
    Edit: The GUI also freezes even if restarted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  18. PrevxHelp

Are you using any other programs which could affect Prevx's connectivity (like K9 Web Protection or another internet filter)? There are no global issues so I suspect it is something on your PC - have you tried rebooting at all since upgrading? :doubt:

19. overangry

No. Curently all I have installed is Threatfire 4.5.0.24 and I'm using windows firewall.

20. overangry

I had to do a hard shutdown of my system after I tried to save a log scan. After rebooting all seems fine.
    I wouldn't have noticed this had I not initiated a scan, The previous build worked fine with an identical setup.
    There is another issue, I download and stored the eicar test virus which is still on my system. Prevx usually picks up on this.

Attached Files:

21. ludo021288

ludo021288 Registered Member

Windows is configured to display all tray icons (i hate having too much background processes so there are not much icons to display). I also checked in prevx config and it was configured to display a tray icon. But the problem seems to be fixed since i haven't encountered any problem today. Maybe it's related to the update process (from .218 to .221).

How does the update process work? Does it kills temporarily the prevx process to update? I'll tell you if the problem occurs again with the next update.

Otherwise, everything is running smoothly so it's no big deal :)

Good night and sorry for my (not native) english

22. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I gave this problem the old Microsoft Windows fix it strategy. Clean uninstall - reboot - reinstall and SHAZZAM it now shows in the Windows Security Center...:eek: :blink: ...problem solved...:cool:

23. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

Joe the new RC seems working great in Italy :D
    italians ask me if is possible making on the right click of the try icon (when there is Stop Protection) even a "Stop SafeOnLine" that is more userfiendly than open the screen and stop it
    I don't know if is a good or bad idea, I am only the messenger of that request:D

24. PrevxHelp

Great :D

Right now, the Stop Protection button will also stop SafeOnline (we haven't split the options). However, I agree that differentiating between disabling SafeOnline and the anti-malware components is a good idea and I'll see how we can make this fit in :)

Thank you, Italian Users (and messenger :)) :thumb:

25. PrevxHelp

I suspect you're correct - the update does require the tray icon to be destroyed/recreated which could potentially be the cause for the issues as we've been releasing a handful of updates over the last couple weeks.

I'll keep an eye out during the next upgrade process as well :) Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.