Nod32 v2.7 & Windows 7

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Biscuit, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I've not previously found any obvious issues between Nod32 & Windows 7. However today, I note that the Nod32 icon is not in the system tray, although the 2 processes seem to be running ok.

Has anyone noticed this issue?

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

you ever read that v2.7 is recommended for Win7? :rolleyes:

3. UFnShure

UFnShure Registered Member

While having to agree that I find no information saying "v2.7 is recommended for Win7", can you point me to the documentation specifically stating that it isn't?

Answering his question with your question might have been a little severe.

Just my opinion.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

With past versions of Microsoft Windows, we have seen situations where the NOD32 icon did not appear in the Notification Area but the program was otherwise running correctly. Running the NOD32KUI.EXE program file manually or rebooting the computer seems to solve the problem.

Microsoft Windows 7 does let the user determine which icons are display there, so it could be that the NOD32 icon simply needs to be selected as one of the icons to always be displayed in the Notification Area.

For more complete protection, one should use a newer version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. Biscuit

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that the icon may not be displayed in the notification area, however I had specifically enabled it to display. The icon has only been missing once in the past few weeks that I have been running Windows 7, so it appears no worse (in fact much better) than any other version of Nod32. Nod32 is now only my backup security & I do not wish to run the later versions.

6. Biscuit

You ever read that it isn't?

7. Brummelchen

8. osubuck

osubuck Registered Member

Why wouldn't you want to use the latest protection? You would think that you would want an AV with the most up to date detection and prevention against malware, I guess I just don't see the logic.

9. prasid

prasid Registered Member

Still v2.7 give good protection against virus!:rolleyes:

10. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

stability and performance, he also stated its his backup so presumable he has something else in front of it.

11. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

Tbh Eset 2.7 used to be my only AV because back then it was just fantastic. The GUI, detection, removal and settings...brilliant!

Actually I'm pretty disappointed by Nod32 because the program just doesn't run as smooth as its predecessor.

12. Biscuit

13. agoretsky

Hello,

Please keep in mind that not everyone in the forum is as erudite an English speaker as yourself. For many people, English is a second, third or nth language and they may also have different cultural mores, values and ways of expressing themself. Simply because their grammar, syntax or style may be different than how you or I might compose a message is no reason to make comments about their writing skills.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

14. Brummelchen

/ot i would be proud to work for them ^^
    but im proud to use eset no for years without major problems.

<-- 100% satiesfied user :D

15. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

Hi Biscuit,
    I can't say that I have come across any major issues when I tested 2.7 on Windows 7. The only issues I experienced were with the lack of integration into Windows 7's Action Center - which were to be expected as 2.7 was not designed for Windows 7.

I do prefer the leaner, lighter 2.7 version than v3 and v4.
    As long as you run (as a minimum) Windows 7 Firewall and Defender with 2.7 I can't see you having any major issues. :)

16. Brummelchen

funny argument using windows 7 ...
    example - win7 + some small apps usses more space than my whole winxp.
    and - win7 aint fully set up - there is many more still missing i regular use.

win7 installation hast 6-7 gigabyte - winxp has only 2gb max.
    so space aint really an argument for "small" software.

if you wanted to say that v2.7 is a bit faster - thats right - but you buy
    not the full power of safety like v3/v4 offers - one point you mentioned
    is the integration into security center -of course that is quite unimportant.

the pre-settings of v3/v4 are the most common - mine slows a bit down
    but they dont annoy me - other av-software even suck with theses settings.

17. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

Why go off topic debating O/S? 2.7 is leaner than 3 and 4 regardless of O/S.
    To some people integration into the 'Action Center' for Windows 7! (Security Center was the name in Vista) would be a consideration, however you are correct in the aspect that it does not effect the way 2.7 works, just the way the O/S let's you know how it is working.
    I re applied 2.7 on my test machine yesterday, and was happy with the outcome, faster boot, less resources than v4. After a good 12 hrs use I have not seen the icon vanish from the notification area. :)

18. Brummelchen

thats the point with win7? you have a real compare to winxp and both versions?
    win7 seven may fast - but not that fast as promoted or winxp.
    and it uses much more memory here with equal hardware/nearly software.
    so xp is ~600mb ram, win7 close to 1gig. Eset AV v4 uses some more as v2,
    but compared to the whole used memory - no need to mention.
    i dont compare the os itself - cant - but if talking about ressources with or
    without eset or v2 vs v4 its just lol.
    and if your win7 system is that slower with eset v4 than v2 its not really
    ready for win7. this one here is on the grey line - the other one definitely no.

i hope you get my intention - i dont only see eset itself - i take care about all.
    on the otherside - make your fortune ;)

PS i cannot compare to vista - never used it

19. Hefaistos22

Hefaistos22 Registered Member

if your computer has enough resources to run windows 7 i donw think you would notice big slowdown in using v4. im using vista and v4 and my computer runs pretty fast.Main slowdown is caused by many unneeded programs running at startup ,or services.
    so keep up the good work eset:)

20. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

nod32 v4 is very sluggish for me in windows 7 on my desktop machine, in windows xp it was just slower however in windows 7 its horrific. Later on I am going to put up a test url of a file that nod32 takes 40 seconds to scan on my machine so others can compare with my scan time. On some http downloads I get a connection reset error because IE thinks the tcp has timed out as the scan is taking that long, these are only small files as well ranging between 1 and 5 meg. I am tempted currently to give 2.7 a shot in windows 7.

21. bachor

bachor Registered Member

So:

is 2.7 working on widows7?
    is 2.7 working on windows7 x64?
    is there 2.7 x64 version?
    is 2.7 being recognized by system security as antivirus?
    does it provide protection or just working for working? :)

*puppy* *puppy* *puppy* *puppy* *puppy* *puppy* *puppy* *puppy* *puppy* *puppy* *puppy*

Fast short anwsers and no talking about why not using ess v4 or v3, plz.
    (yes i'm to lazy to read all that above.. =)

2.7 was the one I liked, and worked well for me (on Xp with no crashes with email software)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  22. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

http://www.eset.eu/press-ESET-Announces-Plan-To-Discontinue-NOD32-Antivirus-2

Answers
    -Yes
    -Probably
    -Yes
    -No
    -(Don't understand the last question)

But "http://www.eset.eu/press-ESET-Announces-Plan-To-Discontinue-NOD32-Antivirus-2" ESET kindly recommends that customers take advantage of the free upgrade to the current ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4, which offers significantly improved protection, new features and improved configuration and scanning options

23. bachor

bachor Registered Member

Thx!

Last question was about if it is working efficiently - is it really scanning or some new mechanisms under Windows7 are blocking some functions so it's not providing full protection (are all 2.7 functions working?).

24. agoretsky

Hello,

ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.0 are supported on Microsoft Windows 7 and have received the Compatible with Windows 7 Logo from Microsoft.

Older versions of the software may—or may not—work with Windows 7, however, in the event of a problem, ESET may not be able to assist you until a supported version of the software is installed on the computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

25. bachor

bachor Registered Member

is 2.7 being recognized by system security as antivirus?
    - Partially, is beeing recognized but is comunicating with Security Center in unrecognized format *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.