Trial for DB 9 Pro will not install in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Downloaded trial for DB 9 Pro yesterday.

Tried installing today on Windows 2000 SP4.

Got BSOD.

STOP 0x000000C2 (0x00000040, 0x00000000, 0x80000000, 0x00000000)
    BAD_POOL_CALLER

No new hardware has been installed.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Howard,

Tricky error here. Did you get the screen during the installation, so the installation never went through, or after the installation.

This looks like it's driver related. Try installing the program using add/remove and pointing to the msi file.

3. Howard Kaikow

During install.

As we speak, I am restoring the OS from an image backup.

Later, I'll boot to the OS and try using Add/Remove.
    Why would that make a difference?

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

From my experience, we have fewer driver and security issues when we install it this method.

5. Howard Kaikow

Alas, still got same error using Add/Remove programs.

Restoring OS from image as we speak.

6. Howard Kaikow

My experience has been that watered down trials cause more problems than time limited trials.

Paragon needs to repllace the crippled trial with a real, time limited version

7. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Hi Howard,

When you use Add New Program from Add/Remove Programs, your system is temporarily placed into "Install Mode" which reduces conflicts and interference during installation, and this usually resolves driver related issues, which is what this looks like.

Two drivers are installed, one for Paragon Hot Processing and one for image mounting. I expect there is either a specific incompatibility, or a software conflict. Check for other backup products that may be installed.

Have you ever had Acronis installed on this system? Perhaps a previous imaging tool has left behind a driver that is causing a conflict. You can add a system variable that will allow you to see "ghost" drivers for devices that are no longer present so you can be sure it is not hiding out in there.

Show Hidden Devices in Device Manager:
    Right Click My Computer
    Click Properties, Advanced Tab, Environment Variables
    Under System Variables, Click New
    Variable Name: DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES
    Variable Value: 1
    Click Okay, Okay, Okay - You must close out to the desktop for this to take affect.
    Right Click My Computer
    Click Properties, Hardware Tab, Device Manager
    Click the View drop-down and enable Show Hidden Devices
    Search through the faded entries - ONLY remove entries that you recognize under 'Network Adapters' and 'Sound, video and game controllers' (such as Broadcom NIC, or SoundMAX audio etc). Some of these entries are critical and will not be reinstalled. It is safe to remove all faded entries from all other categories.

If you don't find anything there, then I recommend that you download the WinPE Recovery CD and attempt a backup from there. If all goes well, then we definitely have a software issue / conflict at hand, and we can rule out hardware issues.

This could be related to an external device, perhaps a card reader with no card in it, or an empty zip drive. Disconnect any unnecessary devices before retrying the install, and continue using the Add-New Programs option if you do make another attempt.

Also, if you send me a private message I will be happy to register you for a copy of Drive Backup 8.51, or send you a previous build of DB9; perhaps this is a problem with the latest build (I have not seen our applications cause this error before).

8. Howard Kaikow

I have a multiboot system.
    When testing such programs, I do not install in the main OS, so I can quickly restore the partition back to square 1.

Currently, I have no other backup program in the OS being tested.
    In the distant past, perhaps.

I'll try that when I get a chance.

9. Howard Kaikow

There are indeed tons of nonpresent devices from the likes of Acronis, Norton, McAfee, Retrospect, etc. Maybe even from BackUp MyPC.

Can I just use a registry editor to remove all entries to such products, oir do I have to go in an uninstall each nonpresent device? Could be rather tedious.

10. Howard Kaikow

I forgot to mention, none of the entries appear to be faded.

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Howard,

I have always uninstalled them.

I don't know if they appear faded in 2000.

In Xp , this is often used:

To configure Device Manager to show details:

1. Click Start, click Run, type: cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
    2. Type: set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1, and then press ENTER.
    3. Type: start devmgmt.msc, and then press ENTER.

In Device Manager the properties for a device should now provide a Details tab that contains additional information about the device.

You might then be able to view properties and see it is no longer connected - not sure as i don't have 2000 installed.

This is from 7:

DEV_MGR-2009-10-17_031742.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  12. Howard Kaikow

I would remove all those associated with progs that are no longer installed, in particular, Acronis, Retrospect, Norton, McAfee.

13. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Let's hope that solves the problem.

Otherwise, it's worth taking Tony up on his offer to register an earlier ( and likely more compatible ) build for you.

14. Howard Kaikow

Deja vue all over again!

Same BSOD trying to install.

It has also been my experience, the few times that I foolishy tried trial versions of various programs that the trial might not really be equivalent to the real product.

In the case of Acronis TI 9, the trial installed, but it was a disaster when I ran the program.

In the case of Storage Protect 2.x, I found a real bug that was fixed in SP 2.y. I was then given a free license for SP 3. It would not fully start up. I've not yet tried SP 3.5.

Paragon's BSOD during the install is even worse.

No more trials for me!

OK, now to restore the OS drive back to pre-install state.

15. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Howard,

Sorry you had trouble with all those trial apps.

Why not take Tony up on his offer of a registered copy of DB8.51 - very generous offer.

Paragon Tony:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  16. Howard Kaikow

I have no interest in older versions.
    My real interest is for Win 7.
    I was just installing in Win 2000 to get a look see at the product.

17. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Oh I see. Well, it works perfectly in Win7 x64 for me.

18. Howard Kaikow

Uncle!!!

I downloaded the free version 9.

Same problem with BSOD.

19. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

LOL - Howard - you are certainly game.

It seems the newer versions aren't working for you when trying to install on 2000.

I don't imagine you would have any trouble installing them on 7. Unless there is something unusual about your system that is baffling these apps. You had trouble with other apps. too , you say.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  20. Howard Kaikow

I will not install anything in Win 7 that is not stated as being supported for Win 7.

There have always been conflicts due to mount managers not playing nicely with each other, but such conflicts, if any, should occur at run time, not during an install.

Paragon needs to take a look at its design.

21. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Hi Howard,

Is it possible for you to test the product on a fresh install of Windows 2000 to rule out software problems? This appears to be a driver conflict, and if you see entries from Acronis that are not even faded, then I would reinstall / uninstall Acronis and see if those devices are then faded or gone.

Also, the Trial builds are identical to the full versions as far as the core application files go; there would be no difference in behavior for installation or any of the supported features. Free Editions, however, are not necessarily built from the same core files. I'm not certain if DB9 Free has been updated for Win7 compatibility yet.

Have you tried installing the latest build in Win7 on your system? If that works well, I will give you a copy of DB8.51 to try on your Win2K load. Also, if Win7 is working with DB then you can backup / restore the 2000 partition from there, so you wouldn't necessarily even need to install in 2K.

22. Howard Kaikow

I cannot justify the time/

Acronis has been gone from that partition for several years.

I have not yet received my copies of Win 7.
    In any case, I would not try version 9 in Win 7.

Win 2000 is on entirely different hardware.
    I backup from another Win 2000 partition using TI 9 on the Win 2000 system.

Win 7 will be used to create a Vista/Win 7 dual boot on another computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.