Issue with WDTV reading NTFS ext drive written to by Paragon driver

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by rsklemme, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsklemme

rsklemme Registered Member

Hi

I have raised a support ticket regarding this, but thought would try on the forum as well

Sometime ago, I have downloaded a trial of NTFS for Mac OS X and last week installed it on my MacBook Core 2 Duo unit running Leopard 10.5.8

Prior to this, I was using NTFS-3G/MacFuse, but wanted to try this out in preparation for Snow Leopard and migrate to the Paragon product esp as it is on special for $19.99 at the moment.

However, one thing I noticed was that files that I wrote to my external WD 500GB 2.5" drive werent able to be played correctly anymore thru the WDTV unit.

Files I wrote prior using NTFS-3G driver were OK and played back fine.

When I copied the same file to a USB stick it played perfectly (so file / codecs are OK).

On a windows PC (XP and Win 7 RTM) I ran a CHKDSK and all was OK there and the file opens correctly. Also files written to by the Windows box are also OK..

Obviously, before installing the Paragon driver - I removed the NTFS-3G totally to ensure there were no conflicts.

By checking around I found that other users were experiencing the same issue with the WDTV which appears to be with NTFS for Mac v7.x (6.5 appears to be OK - dont have this so cant validate)

Otherwise I will need to go back to the prior solution..

More info at:
    http://forums.mactalk.com.au/46/72394-ntfs-drives-now-not-displaying-desktop.html

"NB: I believe the issue is not with SL but rather with Paragon NTFS for Mac. The newer version (7.X) appears to somehow corrupt one or more of the NTFS headers of the files making them unreadable by the WD-TV (NB: the same files on the same drive work with other systems no problems - e.g. my Popcorn Hour, Windows, etc). For me switching back to Paragon NTFS Version 6.5 fixed my problem (you can even just copy the files off the drive and back on again and they are "fixed" and WD-TV can see them again)."

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=3208

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1898.0

If anyone couls help that would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Richard
    Melbourne, Australia

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Richard,

We weren't able to replicate the problem here. I will send a reminder to our Moscow team about your ticket.

3. Rwaehrens

Rwaehrens Registered Member

Hi

I have the exact same problem, only not with a WDTV but with a Popcorn Hour. The file is not recognized by the Popcorn Hour. If I attach the USB drive to a Windows machine and copy/paste the file from and to the USB drive the new file is recognized by the Popcorn Hour.

This wasn't a problem with Paragon NTFS 6.5 - I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and Paragon NTFS 7.

Now I'm wondering if there is a way to downgrade to version 6.5 and if 6.5 is supported on Snow Leopard.
    I've tried to uninstall 7.03, restart, install 6.5, but this is not possible as the 6.5 installation claims a new version is still installed. :thumbd:

Support request also send.

4. mbarsoom

mbarsoom Registered Member

I have the exact same issue. The disk works just fine on my TViX box and both my Mac (with paragon's NTFS) and windows machines including virtual machines can read the files and play the movies just fine.

If the movie was written using paragon NTFS version 7 neither my WD TV or WC TV Live can read nor play the movie. There was no issue with v6.5 and Leopard, but that does not work with Snow Leopard. I know the video is good because it works with the other systems.

If I copy the same movie to the same drive (without reformatting it) using my parallels virtual machine rather than finder, the movie plays.

So the issue has something to do with a change in the paragon driver from 6.5 to 7.x that affects how the data is written.

Mike

5. cb995

cb995 Registered Member

Same problem.
    Interestingly I can copy the files that the WDTV cannot read from the NTFS drive to an HFS drive and the WDTV will then read the files without any problems.

On the same drive there are a whole bunch of files written to it with version 6.5 software that the WDTV reads just fine. It really only is the v7.0.3 drivers that are causing the problem.

Running Paragon NTFS 7.0.3 on Snow Leopard.

6. lmucca

lmucca Registered Member

Same problem here. I also noticed that Popcorn hour see the movie file (the one that doesn't play) as 0byte (pressing "info" button).
    After that I verified that also some "computer" file (doc, pdf, etc.) written with Paragon NTFS 7 on a NTFS partition they show as 0byte if seen under WinXP. Those files are readable but they show that strnage "0byte" dimension. I'm very worried about my data integrity.
    Never had a problem with 6.5.
    Anyone tried to use (re-install) 6.5 on Snow Leopard? Is it compatible?
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    L.M.

7. cb995

cb995 Registered Member

Simply creating a folder and moving a readable file into it will then render the file unreadable. Paragon_Tommy, can you suggest your Moscow guys look at the file creation code, my guess its happening at creation time.

8. Paragon_Tommy

Will post any updates from the developers as soon as I get them.

9. Paragon_Tommy

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to updated that a new build is on its way to resolve the issues with video players (WDTV, Popcorn, etc).

It will be available in your account to download shortly. Please uninstall the current version you have before you install the new build.

10. weliem

weliem Registered Member

Hi Paragon,

Any news on when that update will become available? I still see only version 7.03 in My Account....

Cheers,

Martijn

11. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

This issue is fixed in the latest available version (still 7.0.3). Re-download NTFS for Mac from oficial Paragon web site.

12. weliem

weliem Registered Member

@ mephist, thanks for the tip! I re-downloaded 7.03 and installed it. The problem seems to have been fixed indeed!

I never bothered to download the software again as I did not see any change in version number or date.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.