BluePoint Security product Q&A

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by BluePointSecurity, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluePointSecurity

BluePointSecurity Registered Member

I've started this thread to answer any product related questions anyone may have about the product or how things work.

Ask away!

2. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Sorry posted it in the wrong thread.

Can you give me a run down of all the script executables you protect against? Thanks!

Can your product be configured to Default Deny only allowing executables on a whitelist?

3. BluePointSecurity

Off the top of my head they are .vbs, .scr and .bat. I'll see if I can get a more concise list together. Any you were wondering about specifically?

Currently you can't reconfigure with a list, when you install it automatically allows OS files only, the rest will prompt you and the list is built that way.

4. BluePointSecurity

As a side note, 1.0.0.61 was released today. A few small bug fixes as well as additional product compatibility (other security apps).

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

was this realease just now or earlier?thanks

6. BluePointSecurity

Just released, you can hit update it should grab it.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

8. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool video:)i'll grab some pop corn with a 2 litre pepsi :):)

10. BluePointSecurity

Ah, the infamous Matt review. As I've stated before, the review is very sparse (not sure he understood the product). I think his review was a bit of a retaliation from our posted video series. The main problem we had with the review was that he leads you to believe nothing is denied during his test and the user must click deny. This is incorrect, everything is denied by default and has already been blocked and denied by the time you see the notification. He made no mention that every single threat he tested against was completely prevented (something many products cannot claim, if you watch his other product reviews). The notification is more of a way to override the denial. The notifications can also be turned off under settings if you like. Either way, we have a full product review if you wish to see how it responds to threats and known safe software.

Our full walk through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuJoXPYpcB4

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

actually there are quite a few that passed the 10 mark with him. But getting to the point, would it not be just as eay to block the detection then to even offer a user the option. If they are all legit, then just block them. By doing so you open up a whole new portion of the human race to purchase your product. Of course if this is another FP issue with products like this, I totally understand your reasoning.

12. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

BluePointSecurity.

I just watched the remove-malware review. He stated he was merely picking faults with your product, but for the holier than thou attitude you seemed to have, maybe?

And it's interesting you think he doesn't understand how your product works. The average user doesn't stand a chance, then.

13. Keyboard_Commando

BTW, I did watch your Youtube clip about Defensewall (before you removed it). So I have been curious how well Bluepoint works and how it performs. I thought it was a weird way to introduce yourself, by putting something else down.

Now seeing a few members here have tested Bluepoint, and found some flaws, I'd say, All's fair in love and war. Quite funny actually.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

come on guys nothing is perfect you all know that :D try it for a week or two and then write down your complaints that is what i do,look at my signiture at the begining didnt understand and didnt like appranger but after i started to dig under the hood and found alot of potential in it,let's do same with bluepoint:) in two week(14) you can know a litle bit of it to draw conclusions,let's not draw conclusions cause of matt's youtube video,let's try it our selfs:D let's give blue point a chance:thumb:

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

also this program is new at wilders let's give him a warm welcome,think positive guys,it is free for 14 days:)

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I dont think it was the Wilders Members who lit this fuse, with all due respect.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know that but my point is to try before bashing:)maybe some thing good to complament your arsenal is near you:)

18. Keyboard_Commando

Interesting you trust someone that uses their professional expertise to create an exploit to trash a competitors product. But then maybe I am going over the top with criticism.

19. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I could swear I heard him say that BP was blocking things but then getting a pop up with a block/allow choice.
    That is confusing to the average pc home user. That seemed to be the point he was trying to make.

I'll be interested in seeing what other reviewers, not influenced by any statements made by others, have to say about BP.
    Hugger

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

like i always say i like honest people that tells the true for what works or what doesnt work,yes it happen when you go to futureshop or best buy,the first thing they tell is this software protects 100% againts all kind of malware ''sure'' run a mbam scan and will find tons of adware in the machine:) for defensewall test i dont know how he did the test maybe he allowed this keylogger trusted.but my point was to try before drawing conclusions:)

21. Keyboard_Commando

Ok. Well you seem totally non cynical, unlike me. LOL

Anyway rant over. :D

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i remenber when i first introduce appranger to the forum,and even now there are some people at the forum that dont understand how appranger works,my point is this without trying a software we can not judge for the first impresion or for what others experience with the software the only way is to try it ourself:D like at this moment i am trying it my self and after 14 days i will be the judge:D :) well kind of:) let see if this program covers or patch my needs:)

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

anyway i will try hard to understand it,cause it looks diferent from what i am use to:) (hips)it looks simple too:):)

24. BluePointSecurity

trjam:

Absolutely agree, several of the products did quite well in his reviews. I would have expected all of the products to be able to prevent infection from "in the wild threats". Known threats that are out there are fairly easy to prevent, the real challenge in my mind is how do you prevent a threat that was created 5 minutes ago? That's where most products struggle. Using signatures/definitions/heuristics will fail that type of test most of the time.

Here's the reasoning behind our allow/deny notifications. I'll give you an example, lets say as an average user I am running xyz antivirus. I'm browsing the internet and I visit a page that contains a drive by downloader that was just created 5 minutes ago. At this point, your AV company hasn't added this threat to their def lists and if heuristics don't catch it which they often don't you stand a very good chance of being silently infected.

Same scenario with BluePoint installed, even if we do not know about the threat you will be alerted when the drive by download style threat attempts to execute. It will be blocked by default unless you override it.

The reason for the allow/deny is to protect you 100% of the time, not just when we know about the threat. We can't eliminate the prompts as then you wouldn't be able to install anything!

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the diference is that this software has a on the cloud database and the one you mention dont:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.