Does CCleaner clear Iron cookies?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dregg Heda, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Does it? And does it also erase flash cookies? What about cookies that may be in a sandbox? Thanks.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Dregg Heda, FYI. CCleaner's Home and Features pages indicate what the program cleans, from a standard point of view.

You can also choose specific files, file types, folders, and Registry entries to be included or excluded. This Piriform Docs page will show you how. BTW, that's a good site to learn all the ins and outs of CCleaner.

3. Dregg Heda

Hi JrViejo,

Thanks for your response. I already checked out the first two links before posting here but neither specified Iron as a supported browser. Although Chrome is supported so I was wondering if that meant it would clean Iron cookies as well?

Thanks for linking me to the piriform docs page. It seems to have lots of useful info. Unfortunately a search for flash cookies or LSO cookies yielded nothing. Sometime back I was told by posters on this forum CCleaner didnt erase flash cookies. More recently I think I read somewhere on this forum that Ccleaner did remove flash cookies, or am I just imagining this? So the question remains does CCleaner clean flash cookies?

Thanks!

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Dregg Heda, perhaps this is the thread: Study: Adobe Flash Cookies Pose Vexing Privacy Questions that you had in mind. :doubt:

I see that Pleonasm (post #7) lists several Vista areas of Flash content. Gerard Morentzy (post #16) states that CCleaner cleans Flash content, but TonyW (post #18 ) says you have to do it manually in CCleaner. Conflicting info for sure.

I must admit that cookies in general do not concern me (that's just my opinion), and although I have unchecked every box in the Global Storage Settings (plus moving the lever to None), perhaps these 3 members will see your thread and I urge them to come over to post their comments here, regarding your question.

5. Dregg Heda

Yup that is the thread. Thanks for helping me find it JRViejo! It seems at this point that CCleaner does clean some LSOs but something called the globalsettings.sol is left behind and you have to manually delete it. Flash cookies really seem to be an area of confusion with one poster claiming that all the info is stored off-site on webservers!

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Dregg Heda, you're welcome! Thanks to stapp for providing that link. It looks like that you have your answer now, regarding Flash cookies.

@stapp
    Is there any available info that you have seen about CCleaner deleting Iron cookies?

8. wrongway67

wrongway67 Registered Member

the "global" settings.sol file stores the settings of Flash player's Settings Manager: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html

if you delete that file, you have to set them again

Firefox extension's BetterPrivacy can exclude its deletion: http://netticat.ath.cx/BetterPrivacy/bphelp.html#options

Attached Files:

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

One or two ccleaner members have made additions to Winapp2.ini for it.

See this thread for details.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1110

Also note that items selected for cleaning in the ccleaner applications tab that have come from Winapp2.ini entries will have an asterisk next to them in the ccleaner gui.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

stapp, thanks for providing that info. Take care.

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Well, stapp, that's even better! :) Thanks again for your efforts. :thumb:

Dregg Heda, I believe you have your answer now.

13. Dregg Heda

Ah thats exactly what I was looking for! Thanks to Stapp for finding the answers, and also to JRViejo for persevering with me and also to Wrongway for clearing somethings up for me! Thanks everyone!

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

What are we talking here, what are iron cookies?

I have CCleaner with everything under the Applications tab at default, that's with everything checked except the 'Saved Form Information', so what CCleaner is not cleaning out all cookies?

THANKS

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

DasFox, these are cookies from the SRWare Iron Browser.

When new products come into the marketplace, it takes awhile for CCleaner to incorporate them into its software. Using their Winapp2.ini, a person can immediately add new software entries to the file, instead of waiting for CCleaner to do so. Follow the links above to learn more.

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ahh the browser of the future, hehe...

Ok I see...

THANKS

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

DasFox, you're welcome! Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.