Big Fix & Qwik-Fix: Ever tried them?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 10390bc, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10390bc

10390bc Registered Member

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried:

1. Big Fix

2. Qwik- Fix

And know how well they may or may not work? Are they worth trying, in your opinions? Or are they just junk? Thanks.

2. Yes I have qwik fix and I like it, its great, and its free! hehe

http://www.pivx.com/qwikfix/ will get you a copy

Big Fix is un-related to PivX, havent tried it

Watch out for a program that is really unstable and a copy of qwikfix (qwik-fix, qwik fix) called SmartFix. Its a copy, it does ok stuff, but is proably spyware, pivx is more well known.

3. Guardsman

Guardsman Registered Member

Re: Big Fix & Qwik-Fix: Ever tried them?

Hello Mitchell,

May I know which Qwik-Fix version are you using and do you have any
    problems on the program? Any other sites to download the QF.

Best regards

4. dak

dak Registered Member

Yes, I run BigFix. I started using it when Catch-Up folded (I still miss Catch-up! :'( ).
    It's not junk, definitely worth checking out. I check for updates and run it about once a week, I don't have a need for it to run constantly, though that's how it is designed to run, in the background.

--
    dak

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I have Bigfix , but Qwik fix looks real good as well .
    From the intro
    Fixes Include:

* IE Zone Fixes
    * RPC/DCOM to prevent any RPC related vulnerabilities
    * HTA mime-type vulnerabilities
    * Windows Messenger vulnerabilities (blocks desktop spam as well)
    * ADODB.Stream file writing and related trojan exploits
    * MS-ITS Protocol Handler Fix

Qwik-Fix™ provides another layer of essential security by closing off the pathways that worms and viruses use to penetrate your PC.. It does not affect any of your virus programs, firewall or other programs. Had users installed Qwik-Fix™ on their PC’s, the recent LovSan/MS Blaster worm and the Sobig virus would have had no impact on them. And, it will close the doors that the next worm will try to enter thru to infect and spread its payload.

Qwik-Fix™ is a product of PivX LABS, and results from our work with some of the largest companies in the world. PivX is a premier security research company which has focused its security research efforts on Microsoft’s Windows® and its ubiquitous Internet browser, Internet Explorer. PivX and its worldwide network of security researchers has located, tested and verified hundreds of security vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer alone. As a public service, PivX has also maintained a FREE public online listing of the vulnerabilities that were patched and those that remained Unpatched. Now we have developed Qwik-Fix™, a tool which helps protect your PC from these risky vulnerabilities.

Qwik-Fix™ is designed to pro-actively prevent known software vulnerabilities in Windows and Internet Explorer from being exploited by malicious hackers, virus writers and worm writers. Qwik-Fix™ is simple to use, Qwik-Fix™ is easy to download and install. Qwik-Fix™ is dynamic in that it serves as a temporary fix to known vulnerabilities until Microsoft releases a periodic monthly cumulative patch or a new Service Pack. As we find new vulnerabilities our subscribers will be updated immediately, thus staying one step ahead of the bad guys.

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Qwik-Fix is great.. just posted more in a later thread about it.

BigFix is geared more towards general system issues. I installed it once, and it hogged up enough resources to be intolerable. It didn't see anything worth changing on my system, and I wasn't about to let it run full-time. I would probably recommend it to someone with enough knowledge to know what the control panel is, but doesn't have a clue as to how to troubleshoot anything, and doesn't have a "resident geek" that they can rely on.. otherwise it's probably not worth it.

7. spiff5000

spiff5000 Registered Member

I'm interested in Quik-fix too... but if I install it how do I test it?

I've used Big Fix in a corp environment. When it was first implemented there were problems. Our integration team worked with Big Fix development to hammer out the bugs. Typically, when the software is first installed on a workstation it scans all the loaded software to develop a database. After that it runs quietly in the background. When it pushes an update it doesn't impact performance.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have installed Qwik Fix, and I think the GUI can be improved, BugOff has a clearer gui, it tells you exactly which bug is fixed. Also, what's up with the loader thing? I don't want to run it all the time.

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi
    i have used big fix for a long time and am well pleased with it
    rita

10. Shae

Shae Registered Member

Big Fix is a neat feature to have. Like what was said before, it's free and runs quietly in the background. It will alert you to things like BIOS updates, etc. I have been running it ever since I got my PC. I like it. :) Anyway, hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.