How can I test if my browsing is anonymous?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by qzt, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

If it cannot see your IP Address, does the rest matter?

3. arran

arran Registered Member

yes it does matter. javascript revealing information about your pc is not good.
    because website owners can still identify visitors using proxys by matching the information about your pc that javascript sends. one of them being the date and time on your pc, from the time they can work out what country your are in.

4. arran

arran Registered Member

Its not a security risk. But it is more of a Privacy matter.

Of course there is a way around it. VPN Proxies etc which have been talked about millions of times in these forums.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi ssj100,

Tor (onion routing) is one such proxy system that is free and hides your IP address.

-- Tom

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It's not privacy, it's sheer, utter and unadultered stupidity. It's like taking the number off your mailbox because you're afraid people can see your house address, or wearing a burqa while outdoors to prevent people from finding out your hair color.

7. caspian

LOL!!!!....:argh:

8. markoman

markoman Registered Member

A good VPN provider will easily give you 300kb/s of speed, so you should have no trouble on this side.

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi ssj100,

Generally speaking, only available network bandwidth over the route between source and destination affects download speed and in cases where the ISP throttles user's accounts according to the services to which they are subscribed. It varies according to traffic density on the routes traversed which can mean outages or lots more traffic for any number of reasons.

At home I have the lowest bandwidth FiOS account originally requested at 5MB/sec download and 2MB upload - and installed at 10MB and 2MB (recently bumped up by the ISP to 15MB/sec from 10MB/sec max), and yet, when I use Tor, there has always been reasonable bandwidth download speed.

To find out for yourself, try Tor with Firefox (NoScript and Torbutton add-ons) - the Torbutton allows easy switching on/off use of Tor proxy from Firefox. That way you will know for sure whether you value privacy with encrypted traffic over 3 hops vs speed with no privacy or security (not using Tor). I'd recommend using a Tor controller (Vidalias or Tork). If you use Tork (KDE environment only, not GTK+), it can switch identities of the 3-hop circuit (choose a different routing path) in which your traffic traverses.

-- Tom

10. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

A proxy will never be faster than your upload link. Download speed is not measured in bandwidth such as Kbps. It is measured in latency. Quantity downloaded at speed is what bandwidth measures. If you want a fast proxy, you want the one with the lowest latency, not the highest bandwidth. That will give you fastest responses and smallest webpage load times. Bandwidth is only relevant for large file transfers, not speed.

To give some comparison, using bandwidth to describe network speed is like telling someone how many lanes are on a highway when they ask you the speed limit.

So the question is, how much latency?

11. arran

arran Registered Member

Are you sure his information is better and has answered your questiono_O?

Unless the traffic is "ENCRYPTED" when using Tor onion routing our ISP's here in NZ can still see what web site we visit.

12. arran

arran Registered Member

I don't get what you are on about please elaborate. are you saying that it is stupidity to hide information about your pc?

13. arran

arran Registered Member

yes I agree Rapidshare is much better I use it as well for downloading Movies, Episodes and stuff.

14. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

For those who care: Google is very much involved with the site.

15. caspian

Yes. https://xerobank.com/ Xerobank has secure DNS. All the ISP sees is an encrypted connection to Xerobank.

16. caspian

I use Rapidshare with freedownload manager. You can't beat it. And I download with Xerobank. I ordinarily get far more than 300kb/s. I have gotten up 1500 kb/s. But then again, with my bare connection I get up to 3,000 kb/s. 100MB in less than a minute. But as Steve says, it is the latency that counts.

And I can find anything uploaded to rapidshare. Any movie, CD, documentary, audio book that I have searched for I have found.

17. box750

box750 Registered Member

Maybe you can disable javascript?

18. arran

arran Registered Member

evidence? Links?

But you need javascript to view some sites. the challenge is to be able to use javascript while at the same time block drive by malware downloads, and block the info javascript sends and filter out ad's. all this is possible with proxomitron installed on your pc, but with the right rule set of course.

have you tried firefox add on "download them all" ?? and go to Preferences, advanced and change the maximum number of segments per download to 10.
    and you will find that your downloads would be just as fast as free download manager.

better using a ff add on than having another separate program installed and running on your pc.

19. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I'm glad the distinction between anonymity and privacy has been made here.Anonymity is easily achieved by taking your notebook and logging into the nearest wireless hotspot (using a browser in a VM if you're seriously paranoid),privacy is what is more pertinent to most people.

20. arran

arran Registered Member

other than Proxomitron or running Browser in VM I think I know of another way to prevent browser javascript from sending OS info. It brings us back to the
    Superiority of Malware Defender. with malware defender there already is strict
    rules of what fire fox can do, But I can Isolate it from the operating system even further. still yet to do this tho, by using MD's file and folder rules I can block FF from Reading all this long list of system files which is what it is currently doing. If firefox can't have access to OS information how can it send it?

21. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

The logic is sound enough there,it'd be interesting to see how it works in practice.

22. badjoey

badjoey Registered Member

i used that metasploit website and aside from the fact it tried to do a drive by download it can actually reveal you true ip adress on jondo and hotspotsheld free vpn i will test more when i get the chance.

23. arran

arran Registered Member

what metasploit site?? what is URL's for jondo and hotspotsheld free vpn ?

24. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

25. caspian

Is Proxomitron easy to use for this purpose?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.