Unprotected Item

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Page42, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Red Sheriff (2) imrworldwide.com has had its protection disabled. I think it is due to today's Spybot update, but I can't say for sure because I did not check beforehand. Anyway, FYI & FWIW .... :)

2. ky331

ky331 Registered Member

Yes, it's indeed another conflict with SpyBot removing that site from the restricted zone.

Since such a conflict seems to occur every few weeks now... and since the reaction from the SpyBot forum isn't particularly nice... I hadn't posted anything about it anywhere. But since you brought it up, I can confirm it.

Our options at present are to leave it unprotected... or to re-protect in SpywareBlaster each time after using SpyBot's immunization. Presumably, one (or both) of the programs will acquiesce, and adjust their database in the future.

3. WolfShade

WolfShade Registered Member

SpyBot interferes with SwB, yet again..

I remember a while ago when SpyBot would undo protection in SpywareBlaster for something. It's doing it, again. This time it's the Red Sheriff (imrworldwide.com) cookie.

I've checked the forum for SpyBot, and there was no answer as to when it was going to be fixed so it wouldn't reverse SpywareBlaster protection, anymore. Rather, Bitman suggested that everyone just run a SpyBot scan/protect followed by a SpywareBlaster scan/protect EVERY TIME YOU BOOT UP.

I personally find this not an answer. That's like saying if you have a hatchback and the hatch supports are broken, stick a broom under it to hold it open.

Is there anything JavaCoolSoftware can do to prevent Spybot from undo-ing things?

Thanks,

^_^

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Re: SpyBot interferes with SwB, yet again..

I guess that Javacool Software could set SpywareBlaster to prevent other programs, including malware!, from removing the entries it places in IE. But, not being a real time protection tool, I don't know how it can be achieved.

Then again, its just me saying it out...

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Re: SpyBot interferes with SwB, yet again..

Hi,

Most types of "immunization" or "passive protection" involve locking down the system with various configuration settings stored in certain files or the registry. These settings can be manipulated by any appropriately-privileged program, which is part of the flexibility of the whole system. This is also what allows SpywareBlaster to enable protection, and then not have to remain running in the background.

Since the program isn't always running in the background, there's no way to completely "prevent" another appropriately-privileged program (ex. another anti-spyware tool) from also adding some of these configuration settings / blocks, or removing them. Augmenting the blocks with additional blocks is not a problem, nor *should* removing them be a problem.

The issue that keeps being encountered with Spybot S & D is that, when an item is removed from its database, it perpetually removes these blocks. So if you use another program (ex. SpywareBlaster), script, or set of configuration settings to try to enable a block against that item, Spybot will continue removing the block.

In SpywareBlaster, we go about this a different way:

This preserves the most important property of any solution like this: user choice.

At the moment, Spybot seems to continually remove those blocks, and that prevents you from keeping them enabled with SpywareBlaster, manually, or with any other tool. The easiest, and best, fix would be a slight change to Spybot's removal functionality.

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. WolfShade

I opened settings for Spybot, clicked on "Ignore Products", scrolled through looking for RedSheriff, clicked it and closed the program; then reopened and rescanned with Spybot. Then I checked SpywareBlaster and the RedSheriff was unprotected, still. Where else can I apply "a slight change to Spybot's removal functionality" to prevent it from undoing protections set by SpywareBlaster?

Thanks,

^_^

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

First of all, to the best of my knowledge, merely scanning with Spybot does not disable a protection in SpywareBlaster, but running Spybot's Immunization feature does. So, if you are not running Spybot's Immunization but Red Sheriff (2) imrworldwide.com is disabled after scanning, what I suspect may be happening is that you are not clicking on "Protect Against Checked Items" in SpywareBlaster after checking Red Sheriff.

By the way, Javacool made finding the unprotected item very easy in this current version... after clicking on "1 items have protection disabled", right-click the Block List and select "Find Unprotected" from the drop down menu.

When Javacool said, "The easiest, and best, fix would be a slight change to Spybot's removal functionality", he was referring to what the developer of Spybot needed to do.

HTH :)

8. WolfShade

Actually, just scanning DOES remove the RedSheriff protection. I've scanned/protected with SpywareBlaster, then I click on Spybot's IMMUNIZE tab on the left to scan, close it without clicking on the IMMUNIZE button at the top to protect, and rescan with SpywareBlaster - the RedSheriff is unprotected, again. I've used the "Protect All", and I've gone in and manually checked the RedSheriff; in both cases, Spybot un-protects RedSheriff by just scanning.

I had read this in another post, here, and tried it. It works great, and I'm glad that someone requested to have this feature added to SpywareBlaster.

According to the last time I looked through Spybot's forum, there is no plan to do so. If I'm not mistaken, when Spybot started disabling protection for CasaleMedia, it wasn't a Spybot update that fixed it.

^_^

9. ky331

ky331 Registered Member

the spybot update on july 1st has fixed this conflict.

10. WolfShade

I am happy to report that the update does, indeed, provide a solution to the un-protection issue. Thanks for the heads-up.

^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.