'obtaining network address' problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fly, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Situation: Windows XP Home Edition, service pack 2 , up to date, one computer, one modem, one router. Wireless connection between computer and router, router is hooked up to the modem by wire/cable, modem connects to internet. WPA-PSK encryption.

These problems are very recent: frequently I lose my connection, and when I lose (or reestablish) my connection my wireless software (firmware, uses USB stick plugged into my computer) states it is trying to obtain a network address (not a literal translation probably). The only way to get back on the internet requires unplugging the modem and the router, turn on the modem and when it's done, connect and turn on the router, followed by using the wireless software to 'restore' my connection. (The last part may not always be necessary, but I've found it to work better)
    This doesn't happen often when I'm clicking on websites, but if there is less 'traffic', for example when I'm writing a post or don't use my computer for a while, I tend to lose my connection. I can detect other local wireless networks, sometimes my own network doesn't even show up, and sometimes it does.

I prefer to lock my wireless connection to one particular channel, I really don't like it constantly changing channels. I have experimented with an automatic channel selection/choice process, but then I tend to get a very weak signal, and internet connections either time out or I get tired of waiting for the website to load (and renew/refresh doesn't help).

My old ISP (Europe) has merged with others into a new ISP, and I presume technical changes behind the scenes could be a factor. I would rather not try their 'customer service'. :ouch: Maybe I can get some help here. :)

I wonder what causes the problem. Is it indeed some technical issue, or do I lose my connection due to the increased number of wireless networks, possibly sending stronger wireless signals than this router which I bought in 2006 or 2007 ?

One more thing: when I try IPCONFIG /renew I get an error message, unlike in the past. If I remember correctly, 'IPCONFIG /release' causes the loss of my connection. I don't see any point in resetting my router, since I haven't changed anything like opening ports.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.