First Defense ISR or Rollback RX Pro 9?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by chetcope, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chetcope

chetcope Registered Member

First Defense ISR or Rollback RX Pro 9?

i gotta decide by May 30th whether to trade up from Rollback RX v8 to 9 (+ the free image software) to still get 50% off from Horizon Data Systems.

I've had Rollback on 2 Vista PC's since Fall.

Here's the thing: I've come by a license for First Defense ISR.
    So here's my opportunity to try this legendary program for real!
    To begin the process I uninstalled Rollback 8 on one PC (That took hours! I hadn't expected it...but I might have figured if I thought about it).

I installed First Defense ISR AND I am trialling Horizon's 'new' Drive Cloner RX (the imaging software split off from Rollback :cool:.

Is there anyone who--given the choice--has preferred Rollback RX over FDISR? (folk in this forum are FDISR fanatics & I think I understand why)!

FDISR really seems more complicated than Rollback RX Pro (Hey I spent days reading & re-reading Rollback help info & forum posts....I've just begun to read up on FDISR again. I'm wondering if this is why Horizon etc went with Rollback?

And what bare metal imaging program do you recommend? I have Acronis but don't like it, I did come to like the image program included with Rollback 8...but it had certain limitations. I could go with Drive Clone RX. Or should I go with Shadow protect or what?

Fimally reading in the archives here I see I see at least one of you has both FDISR & Rollback installed!
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179941
    How has that worked out. Or is it too paranoid?

Thanks

Chet

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I have FD ISR and also a couple of licenses of Rollback RX ver 7. At present I can think of no reason to use RB let along upgrade from FD.

I use FD with Returnil pro and have been very happy.

for imaging I use Shadow protect (the only prog to cuase me a problem with FD - this was issue was fixed a while ago). I change to SP from Acronis after a brief switch to Paragon. Personally I would go with SP or Paragon over Acronis

3. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

It's too early for me to think about it and figure it out. Can you share your insights as I am interested in purchasing RxPro for one of my sets - it's coming up on Bits du jour btw.

On my main system I am using the "classic" FD-ISR and I would not even consider ditching it.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think most of the users here, would definitely take FDISR classic over Rollback. I for sure am one of them.

As for Imaging, my first and only choice is ShadowProtect by Storagecraft.

Pete

5. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Mr

Of course I am a Rollback Fan. Nothing wrong with FDISR at all just preference and how you use your machine. But for how I use mine Rollback fits me fine. The drawback is that it's hard to image using Rollback but it can be done from what others here have said.

Thanks,

Chris

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, my brother in law bought 3 licences of RBrx... and regreted it 3 months later. :D

I'm one of those that used both on the same pc. They can live happily together as long as you use FD-ISR strickly as a bootloader and Rollback as instant recovery.

ps1. If you want to upgrade RBRx check here (discount 65% only for 25 May 09).

ps2. According to the EAZ-FIX license policy (from the developer EazSolutions):
    '3.Upgrades, such as from?v8.x to v9.x, v10.x? are NOT free. Upgrades include new features and major changes of the software.?The cost of upgrade is 30% of license cost, e.g. if v9.0 is $60 per license, the upgrade cost is $18.00. But if you have license maintenance, the upgrades are free.

4. The license maintenance is an optional, annual subscription based service. It provides free upgrades, developer support, beta release, phone support…and other Support related services. The cost of license maintenance is 18% of license cost, e.g. if v8.1 is $50 per license, the maintenance cost is $9.00.'

And HorizonDatasys makes pay its gold customers (those that pay a anual maintense) 50% for the upgrade and gives them a time limit for the 'offer'. :cautious: :thumbd:

If I ever decide to buy a new license I'll definitly buy it from PCUndo. They not only respect the EazSolutions upgrade policy but give also a discount at their customers. :thumb: :thumb:

Panagiotis

7. chetcope

chetcope Registered Member

Thank you for your responses!

Sounds like I should stick w FDISR over Rollback on the one PC. I will look at Shadow Protect for imaging!

Now this morning the PC which still has Rollback RX 8.1 'awoke me' with the news that Prevx Edge 3.0165 had found an MBR Rootkit (Turned out to be Rollback RX Pro 8.1!) & when it 'cleaned' it ripped Rollback & all snapshots out & reverted me back to Nov. '08 before I installed PrevxE. So I am currently without both. Boy was I surprised!

At various times PrevX has told me both PC's had an MBR rootkit.
    --Sometimes I just let PrevX scan the PC & nothing further happened.
    --Once or twice I ignored it.
    --Lo: Today I pressed the red 'clean infection' button & PrevX ripped out Rollback and some 6 months of snapshots... reverting my C disk back to November '08 (luckily my 'D' or data disk was untouched. [I also had imaged C & D last week].

Now I wish I had Googled this because it pointed me to several April '09 posts at Wilders saying it's a FP that has done the same to others. Usually I do get '2nd opinions' but I didn't this time.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225190&page=151

I'm not sure what I'll do next. I only have 1 license for FDISR!
    Wait til after the Memorial Day holiday in the U.S.A. for now. I did report the FP just now to PrevX.

Finally thanks Pandlouk for the info re buying Eaz-Fix 9 (not rollback) from PC Undo due to their orientation towards customers & price compared to Horizon. I see they have 3 licenses for $99 [Course Bits de Jour as you say has Rollback 9 for $25 on May 25 only].

8. pandlouk

You are welcome.

Pcundo and HorizonDatasys are two of the resellers. If you search a bit you can find some others.
    Some of them:
    EazFix (Intelatronix.com)
    ptsupport Australian site
    NWC ServicesGerman Site
    Eaz-fix Netherland Site

LoL even Horizondatasys also sells Eaz-Fix through EazFixSoftware. :eek:

There is also AyRecovery which seems a direct descendent of Eaz-Fix 7 and probably the only non EazSolutions version, since it uses totally different servers for activation... Maybe the developers got divided to some point?

Panagiotis

edit:
    Oops, I almost forgot that Chris12923 is also a reseller of RollbackRX. Around The Clock Computer Repair with a discount of 20$ :thumb:

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  9. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Some additional information:

If you are running Windows 7 using an SSD for your system drive, neither FD-ISR nor ShadowProtect will work.

I have switched to RollbackRx v9 and Macrium.

FD-ISR will not work with SSD's
    ShadowProtect will not work with Windows 7.

Todd has advised he will fix FD-ISR after he finishes up a project sometime after July.

Storage Craft advises they will be ready for Windows 7 by the time the RTM is released.

Silver

By the way, I have had no problems with the new version of Rollback after about 4 weeks of intensive use.

10. raakii

raakii Registered Member

For normal users , a backup image program is more than enough.I feel that an ISR should used during exceptional testing or when multiple configurations are reqd for different users.Returnil or shadowdefender may be used for simple testing.
    For the second case , for rollback rx the system slowdown(and problems) caused by rollback rx is larger when compared to Fd-isr(which causes negligible slowdown).But fd-isr has greater disk space and time requirements which may be bit too much for certain(layman) users.And ofcourse using one of these software makes imaging practically redundant.

11. pandlouk

Don't relax too much,

It took me only 1 hour of testing and 5 snapshots, to brake it. :p

Panagiotis

12. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I agree, I won't relax until the new version goes for a few months with no problems.

I have switched from Macrium to Acronis WS w/UR. Acronis has improved since I last had so many problems with it. The incrementals are much faster than Macrium and I use them extensively as I am still paranoid about Rollback. I had the same problem as you in losing all of my partitions with RB v8.1 a couple of years ago on different computers.

I was pleasantly surprised when I restored my laptop running XP to Win7 from my Win 7 desktop using Acronis Universal Restore with no issues. It saved a lot of time by not having to reinstall 60 or 70 programs and settings.

Silver

13. pandlouk

Silver,

can you check your disk read performance with RB9 installed (with hd tune or a similar tool) and compare it to your disk specifications? I see an enormous lag in speed (between 46% and 81% slower).
    I am wondering if it performs better with ssd disks.

Thanks,
    Panagiotis

14. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

that is quite an interesting experience - do you have any response from the developer or the support team?

15. pandlouk

Not so interesting. I had encountered similar bugs before. The first time the bug manifested at the installation time and took me more than 20 hours to find and backup all the files from the disk. (I have seen this bug of the installation 4-5 times).
    After the first time I encountered it, I learned my lesson and always backup the partition tables of my disk in multiple places.
    The second type of similar behaviour, I encountered it with the LockDisk switch.
    This is the very first time that it manifested during a sync.

I could not submit a ticket, because RollbackRX 9 is not listed under my purchased products yet; so I cannot open a ticket for v.9.
    When it will be added it on my program list, I'll be able to open support ticket.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.