Re AVG free server tweak

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ellison64, Mar 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

...............................................................................
    This post has been removed - for reasons Ellison posted:

Quote:
    I actually posted that tweak back in october last year , but it was removed by a moderator ....

"I've removed this post because it is not approved by Grisoft and actually represents a method to circumvent the download restrictions they have placed on the AVG6 Free users..."

The moderator made a very good point about grisoft,and the download restrictions placed upon the free version (it used to contain the two servers at one time) but then again if grisoft were that bothered i would think they would have made it harder to prevent such tweaking
    me

regards.

paul
    Just to clarify my view on the tweak , id like to say that i respect yours (Paul) and the original administrator views on the subject.However ive never seen or heard any actual grisoft objection or comment on the tweak , on any site including thier own.I also wouldnt call adding a url in a file that can easily be edited by a complete novice ,a case of "engineering".As i said in my previous post , if grisoft were that bothered ,then surely the programme would have been updated to prevent this.Nevertheless i respect your decision,and understand the position that you might be put in by allowing the post.
    me
    me

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Indeed, Grisoft may never have come out and objected to people posting that tweak. We have no way of knowing if they even track that and who knows, perhaps they don't feel it's worth the effort.

From our perspective, we think a lot about download bandwidth. It is a very costly resource, especially for things like AV products which update constantly. When Grisoft updated the free product back at that time and specifically removed the alternate download links (which was a deliberate action they took) and focused all users of AVG6 Free to that one-only free download site, I took that to mean they wanted the users of the free product to use only that site.

True, Grisoft did not remove the ability to put the alternate sites back in the software, which remained available all along for AVG Pro users, but of course they paid for the product.

To me it just seems like the right thing to do. I'm a AVG6 Free users and I used the alternate sites only once, to test the tweak people were posting to see if it actually worked. It did. Then I put mine back the way Grisoft had it set, and yes at times I struggle to get the updates.

3. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi ellison!

Actually, altering any (AVG) file in such an application in any way whatsoever is considered a breach of copyright. This sort of thing is very specific. Please read their license carefully. (I know those licenses read like torts in court --ie booorrring -- but they are important.) ;)

Best regards

4. Shunned

Shunned Guest

LWM: quote:

"To me it just seems like the right thing to do. "

Not trying to stick my nose in other people's business. Just making a comment.
    There are countless people out there using AVG freeware. People who may not otherwise use any anti-virus program . Decent freeware is difficult to find. An a good free anti-virus program thats constantly updated is like finding a needle in a haystack.
    When a vendor offers the public a free and decent product it seems only the right thing to abide by the vendor' terms of service.
    Those who payed for AVG deserve faster updates. Also the right thing to do.
    Freeware goes shareware very quickly these days. AVG free helps us all by helping to prevent the spread of virus. Causing the vendor any problem may also cause the vendor to say: ITS SHAREWARE
    Tweaking can be done by a novice but ultimately who pays the price?

5. ellison64

LowWaterMark
    I hope you do not feel that i have criticized your actions over this post , as i have nothing but respect for you and this forum ,and in your position would have done the same.Personally i wish grisoft would sort something out , because lately there seem to be many people that cant get updates for days on end,and also that tweak has been posted (not by me i might add) over most of the relevant newsgroups anyway.Heres something that i hope is above board and may be of use to you if you dont already know it...
    Shortcuts (I Have them on desktop) for those that cant be bothered to open AVG.
    Complete Scan Path:-

"C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\AVGW.EXE" /NOSPLASH/PLAN/NTEST

Update Path:-

"C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\AVGINET.EXE" /sched

Prince -serendip
    Yes that licence looks pretty scary , but copyright law varies from country to country....
    Me?... i just plead ignorance :)
    me

6. ellison64

Hi shunned..
    I agree that a paying customer should get preferential treatment over a free user but if that means that free users are unable to get updated virus signatures for days on end therefore compromising thier security , then what good is the AV?.Paying customers allready get support , a better email scanner , plus various testing and scheduling benefits.I suppose AVG are now the victims of thier own success, as many people use it , and in my opinion should either upgrade thier servers or plainy tell free users that they are on a limited update pattern,as i believe some other AVs do.Funny thing is that avg only used to update about once a week .Only goes to show...give them an inch and they wanna mile :)
    me

7. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Thank you for not taking my first comment as butting into your business.
    Did a test. Installed AVG free a week ago(did not play well with my other virus programs). Did this after seeing comments about the slow updates.
    Several times the AVG update could not gain a connect to the internet(busy servers) but without fail trying again later obtained the update. At no point was there any waiting for days on end.
    Yes a notice by AVG may be a polite thing to do but would really be going an extra mile or two, unlikely.
    You made a very good point regarding an un-protected system. Which is also a good point for having layered security. A person can use two free anti-virus programs. An also remember that anti virus companies only update after a virus has become known so protecting against un-known virues is a definte must do, must have. An fairly easy.
    This topic may alert others that they may not in fact really have all the protection that can be obtained. An this is the place best to learn about layering.
    Thank you sharing your time and comment E

8. Shunned

Shunned Guest

BY E: quote:

" ...give them an inch and they wanna mile "

E, you made a great point! Consider that the vendors of AVG free may say just those words if everybody used that tweak. An make AVG shareware.

9. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Gee, sure hope my comments have not upset anyone. Certainly not ment to.

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Not at all, at least not for me. ;)

Nor have I viewed any part of this thread as negative or criticizing. I like the fact that we all can discuss such things openly and consider the opinions of each other.

For me, there are certain things I believe and they are reflected in the actions and positions that we take here at this forum (which is actually why I'm here). We may handle things differently than some other sites and it's hard to say exactly who or what is right given all the complexities. This is just our way of doing things and if asked, we'll always let you know where we stand. :)

11. FREEMAN

FREEMAN Guest

There is no point to use a free anti virus if no updates are available when needed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.